This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which PS3 model is backward compatible?

#1Bridge_HansonPosted 4/22/2013 4:18:10 PM
I'm thinking of picking up a PS3 soon and, aside from PS3 games, I want to get some old PS2 games I used to love back in the day.

The thing is, I know that some PS3 models are not backward compatible, as well as only certain games.

So I'm hoping someone can point me to which PS3 model(s) is/are backward compatible. If you can provide an Amazon link, I'd really appreciate it.

On the games, I'm mainly looking to pick up the .hack games (Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine, as well as the three games in the second series I never got to play after the first series) and Steel Lancer Arena International (an old mech fighting game). I tried using the link in the sticky FAQ to check if they worked, but the website wasn't very clear. If anyone happens to know whether or not these games will work on a PS3.

Thanks for any help I can get!
---
~Uniting The World: One Bridge At A Time~
*insert pop-culture reference here*
#2LinkinLawgPosted 4/22/2013 4:25:20 PM(edited)
20GB
60GB
and Metal Gear Solid 4 80GB models

but I wouldn't take my chances on getting one. They are known to get YLOD, better of getting a separate PS2. Some PS2 games have been released in HD Collections or on the PSN store and are compatible regardless of PS3 model.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#3AlltraPosted 4/22/2013 4:23:51 PM
You'd be better off just keeping your PS2, and getting Component Cables for your HD TV.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#4TheBonfiniPosted 4/22/2013 4:26:15 PM
LinkinLawg posted...
20GB
60GB

but I wouldn't take my chances on getting one. They are known to get YLOD, better of getting a separate PS2. Some PS2 games have been released in HD Collections or on the PSN store and are compatible regardless of PS3 model.

This. Good luck finding one though.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#5Bridge_Hanson(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 4:28:31 PM(edited)
Alltra posted...
You'd be better off just keeping your PS2, and getting Component Cables for your HD TV.

Wish I could, but my PS2 busted long ago. I was thinking of just buying a new PS2, but there are some PS3 games I'd like to try as well, so I figured I could use the upgrade.

TheBonfini posted...
LinkinLawg posted...
20GB
60GB

YLOD? Haven't heard of that. Is it like the RROD with the XBox or something?

I've been hoping they'd release an HD collection for .hack, but I haven't heard of anything like it yet. If it's going to be a difficult quest, maybe the PS2 is a better idea after all.
---
~Uniting The World: One Bridge At A Time~
*insert pop-culture reference here*
#6LinkinLawgPosted 4/22/2013 5:20:10 PM
Bridge_Hanson posted...
Alltra posted...

Wish I could, but my PS2 busted long ago. I was thinking of just buying a new PS2, but there are some PS3 games I'd like to try as well, so I figured I could use the upgrade.

TheBonfini posted...
LinkinLawg posted...
20GB
60GB

YLOD? Haven't heard of that. Is it like the RROD with the XBox or something?

I've been hoping they'd release an HD collection for .hack, but I haven't heard of anything like it yet. If it's going to be a difficult quest, maybe the PS2 is a better idea after all.

Yellow Light of Death. It usually indicates a hardware failure. It seems to be happening on the older models. I think it has something to do with the thermal paste in those models and it starts to go bad after several years.

You can get a PS3 and a PS2 both if you do your shopping right for about $300.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#7RafedxPosted 4/22/2013 5:22:58 PM
I still have a 60gig PS3 with BC kicking around my house, thing is the Blu Ray drive stopped spinning, won't load any games. It will still boot to the XMB and I can play anything that I bought digitally and I do use it a few times a month.

How viable would it be for me to get the drive replaced (Price wise)? Would I be better of leaving it as is and using my PS2 with component?
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#8AlltraPosted 4/22/2013 5:38:02 PM
You wanna identify the model of BD Drive you have. That will effect what kind of drive you need to replace it with.

Also, you need to make sure you keep the Controller Board from your old drive, or your new one won't work. It's linked to the motherboard of your PS3.

In any event, on Amazon I see a lot of drives for the PS3 going for $20-$100 new, so if you replace it yourself it can be pretty cheap. There are plenty of do-it-yourself guides on Youtube and elsewhere to help out with that.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#9ThamauturgePosted 4/22/2013 5:43:15 PM
Buy a used like new 60GB PS3 off of amazon and get it reflowed on gophermods eventually. Should work about the same amount of time that the typical console does.
---
Official Wiegraf Folles of the FFXV board
Playing: SH2 HD, Dark Souls, Uncharted 2, Crisis Core: FF7, Ratchet Collection, REmake ------- PSN: Thamauturge
#10riddlebox89Posted 4/22/2013 5:47:42 PM
Bridge_Hanson posted...
Alltra posted...

You'd be much better off getting both a new PS3 and new PS2 if you want to play PS2 games, the backwards compatible fat PS3's aren't as reliable as the PS3 slims, most of them that are being sold used have been refurbished because they quit working before so they'd last you about three to six months at best so you'd end up having to buy a new PS3 anyway.

Yeah it's more money spent but it's better than buying a used PS3 that'll only crap out on you within a year of buying it then having to spend even more repairing or replacing it.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.