This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which PS3 model is backward compatible?

#11KenauePosted 4/22/2013 5:54:17 PM
Easy way to see if you find an old fattie in stores:

4USB ports = BC.
---
Now Playing: Digital Devil Saga (PS2), P3:FES (PS2), Black Ops 2 (Wii U), Fallout: NV (PC), Portal 2 (PC)
PSN: Lord_CBH / Nintendo Network: LordCBH
#12KenauePosted 4/22/2013 5:56:01 PM
Bridge_Hanson posted...
Alltra posted...
You'd be better off just keeping your PS2, and getting Component Cables for your HD TV.

Wish I could, but my PS2 busted long ago. I was thinking of just buying a new PS2, but there are some PS3 games I'd like to try as well, so I figured I could use the upgrade.

TheBonfini posted...
LinkinLawg posted...
20GB
60GB
and Metal Gear Solid 4 80GB models

but I wouldn't take my chances on getting one. They are known to get YLOD, better of getting a separate PS2. Some PS2 games have been released in HD Collections or on the PSN store and are compatible regardless of PS3 model.

This. Good luck finding one though.

YLOD? Haven't heard of that. Is it like the RROD with the XBox or something?

I've been hoping they'd release an HD collection for .hack, but I haven't heard of anything like it yet. If it's going to be a difficult quest, maybe the PS2 is a better idea after all.

I just started playing the .Hack games. Really diggin it so far.
---
Now Playing: Digital Devil Saga (PS2), P3:FES (PS2), Black Ops 2 (Wii U), Fallout: NV (PC), Portal 2 (PC)
PSN: Lord_CBH / Nintendo Network: LordCBH
#13Red_JesterPosted 4/22/2013 6:26:59 PM
I just got a PS2 for like $70 used at Gamestop and that was years ago. They're probably $50 or $60 now. The great thing about PS2 Slim's is that they're actually reliable to buy used.

And as pointed out, most of the great games of last gen are getting HD releases and/or just ports to PS3. Finally, a lot of third-party games from last gen also have PC versions that are in HD already. You hopefully have a PC capable of handling most old games by now.
---
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.