This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It baffles me that we don't have a true Akira game yet.

#1dylanbrandon286Posted 4/22/2013 6:47:56 PM
For those of you who don't know Akira (and you really should) It was a manga written in the 80's that was turned into a feature length movie. It made anime popular in the U.S and was a crowning masterpiece.

Anywho, I am going to be focusing more on the manga, since it has more to work with when it comes to a game.

Would it not be awesome?! Both the movie and the manga have so much stylized action and amazing storylines, it seems like the perfect fit for me. Here is how I see it:

1. Open world in Neo-Tokyo - Neo-Tokyo is such a cool city. It has turmoil around every corner, be it biker gangs, rebels or Akira himself, this city would be perfect for an open world style. Imagine driving around Neo-Tokyo as Kaneda on his bike, it would never be a dull moment.

2. Two Campaigns: The story in this manga series especially is huge. There is so much material to cover and I feel in order to really give it justice and tell both sides, we need 2 campaigns, one where you play as Kaneda and one where you play as Tetsuo. That way both sides of this incredibly complex and deep storyline could be told.

3. Third Person Action/Shooter: There is a lot of shooting that goes on in Akira but it isn't all the combat. There is a lot of hand to hand and a lot of psychic fights as well. I think that mixing the 3 together would make for a very unique experience especially if done right.

4. Use the music from the movie: I don't know how many of you have watched the movie and heard the amazing music from it, but if you haven't I will place a youtube link to my favorite piece from the movie. It is pretty self explanatory.

5. Multiplayer: This is where the game would really shine. There are many factions to choose from for one (I am taking most of these from the manga), The Great Tokyo Empire, The Capsule Gang, The Clowns, The Rebels, The Japanese Army, The American Special Forces, and Lady Miyako's Army. Also, there is such an amazing array of weapons, from machine guns, melee weapons, pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, rocket launchers, the laser rifle, sniper rifles and more. Also, you have all the psychokenesis powers that could be used in sort of a battlefront 2 way (the jedi) or a killstreak/pickup way. Personally I like the battlefront 2 idea the best for this. You could also incorperate an intense hand to hand combat system into multiplayer as well.

In short these are just 5 basic reasons why I think an Akira game would work really well, especially on the PS3. If any of you have anything to add then go for it, and I really hope that someday this game gets made.

(and before any of you comment, yes I know they made an NES game and a pinball game on the ps2, but they both sucked and were a failure of imagination.)

Kaneda's Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-wv4pFodIQ
---
Japan: "wow nukes are so op. America so noob." Brokencandle
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 4/22/2013 6:51:15 PM
I thought you mean Akira the developer who made some Street Fighter games.
---
Liquor is powerful. But Soda is solid.
#3Billy TrancePosted 4/22/2013 6:51:27 PM
loli freak.
#4dylanbrandon286(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 6:52:41 PM
Billy Trance posted...
loli freak.

loli huh? Try watching the movie or reading the manga first before you judge.

Troll/10
---
#5Video_Game_CzarPosted 4/22/2013 6:54:26 PM
Wouldn't work as a game. Simple as that. There wasn't enough action and who would like just watching it play out and maybe every once in while you took control? Same thing with many Mangas/Animes...The content just doesn't scream game...Unless you want a throw away title by some half ass team that got the voice actors and just came up with stupid point a to point b gameplay that just wouldn't fit.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar
#6SagovicPosted 4/22/2013 6:55:25 PM
I have never watched that show, but I remember reading a review about the first Galerians (great game) that compared it to it.

Maybe, you should give it a try.
---
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
#7dylanbrandon286(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 6:56:28 PM
Video_Game_Czar posted...
Wouldn't work as a game. Simple as that. There wasn't enough action and who would like just watching it play out and maybe every once in while you took control? Same thing with many Mangas/Animes...The content just doesn't scream game...Unless you want a throw away title by some half ass team that got the voice actors and just came up with stupid point a to point b gameplay that just wouldn't fit.

Have you even read the manga, or for that matter seen the movie? 3 quarters of the manga is pretty much non stop action, and the movie is just under half.

In fact i'd say there is more action to work with then most MGS games, and people seem to love those so much even though they are basically movies (me included).
---
#8NashtheLionPosted 4/22/2013 7:07:53 PM
Must watch this again now.
---
There is no solace above or below. Only us. Small. Solitary. Striving. Battling one another.
Read. Think. Listen. Shut the hell up.
#9Mass_CarrierPosted 4/22/2013 7:22:15 PM
What about that pinba--oh.
---
Don't just post youtube links. Say what the **** they are.
http://i.imgur.com/WaN8M.png
#10dylanbrandon286(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 7:23:20 PM
Mass_Carrier posted...
What about that pinba--oh.

donteven.jpg
---