This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IYO, are there no video game stories that are on-par with good novels?

#1theofficefan99Posted 4/22/2013 8:26:15 PM(edited)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544944

There's an interesting discussion going on in NeoGAF right now, and I wanted to bring it here.

Do you know of any games that you think are on-par with good novels? Most people on NeoGAF claim that pretty much all video game stories are terrible.

Personally, I disagree. There are tons of amazing video game stories. My personal list?

-Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
-Baten Kaitos Origins
-Chrono Trigger
-Chrono Cross
-Drakengard
-NIER
-Final Fantasy VI, VII, IX, X, Tactics and Type-0
-Bioshock
-Bioshock Infinite
-Lost Odyssey (mostly the memories)
-Shadow Hearts
-Shadow Hearts: Covenant
-All Persona games, Nocturne, both Digital Devil Saga games
-Xenogears
-Xenosaga Trilogy
-Valkyrie Profile
-Suikodens I-III and V
-Planescape: Torment
-Mother series
-Terranigma
-The Witcher series (kind of cheating, I guess)
-Mass Effect trilogy
-Vagrant Story
-Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
etc. etc. etc.

What do you guys think?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#2Godly_GoofPosted 4/22/2013 8:04:24 PM
Off the top of my head
VLR
Ar Tonelico 2
Valkyria Chronicles
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#3Billy TrancePosted 4/22/2013 8:05:37 PM
Final Fantasy 8.
#4theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 8:05:38 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
Off the top of my head
VLR
Ar Tonelico 2
Valkyria Chronicles

Always wanted to try Ar Tonelico 2 :p
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#5theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 8:06:13 PM
Billy Trance posted...
Final Fantasy 8.

Joke post? I love Final Fantasy VIII and the home stretch was great but the plot became abysmal after mid-Disc 2 :/
---
#6DevilTears604Posted 4/22/2013 8:07:10 PM
There's actually a great piece at IGN that talks about this. Essentially, it talks about how when movies were starting, they took a lot of their storytelling cues from literature, and it was only after decades of being around that they were finally able to create their own story identity that was entirely unique for movies.

Games are doing the same thing. They're taking a lot of cues from movies. But now we're beginning to see developers start to understand a unique way to convey a story that is only understandable through the interactive medium.

Answering the question, I don't think it's fair to compare game stories to literature, just like it's not fair to compare either of them to film. Each of them has their own unique identity.
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#7LodeiroSnakePosted 4/22/2013 8:08:00 PM
Metal Gear saga
---
"Doesn't matter. I hate Nintendo so only people who hate Nintendo are right. Nintendo could buy all the food in the world. I'd rather **** starve!"
#8regsantotomasPosted 4/22/2013 8:17:07 PM
Games by their very nature are interactive. While this creates a unique experience, game play can hinder the delivery of the story itself. This can lead to awkward pacing or a bloated narrative to make the gaming experience more robust.

I find many video game stories fun - relative to the medium. That may sound like a backhanded compliment but it isn't.

Movies and books in my opinion are far more compelling mediums for simply delivering the narrative experience because it isn't shackled by typical gaming conventions.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#9cirkmetroidPosted 4/22/2013 8:20:11 PM
Easily the best story in a video game series in my opinion are the Legacy of Kain games.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Really difficult games used to inspire us to become better at those games. Now...people just whine and complain. Such is the times.
#10boxingtonPosted 4/22/2013 8:24:33 PM
While I wasn't a huge fan, I think that Spec Ops: The Line is up there.

I say that because, it uses its medium as a video game as much as its narrative to tell the story. Like, there are parts in the game where you can choose (or not choose) actions to progress the story, and they don't feel contrived at all.

I wasn't too impressed with it, to tell the truth, but it was pretty memorable.
---
http://imgur.com/AMN4G.gif