This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IYO, are there no video game stories that are on-par with good novels?

#111MrDantePosted 4/24/2013 1:17:47 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
MrDante posted...
I have never seen writing in video games on par with something like say F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

The Great Gatsby is a good novel with quite a bit of social commentary IIRC, but it wasn't a fantastic, riveting plot or anything of the sort. At least, in my opinion.

As social satire, it perfectly captured the era, and its social commentary of the American Dream resonates today and can be expanded in scope, which by the way the TV show The Wire has done amazingly so. However, what the novel is mostly known for is the author's beautiful prose and the way he perfectly integrates the deeper themes and symbols of his story into his writing. Again, I have never come across video game writing as good as the following passage from The Great Gatsby.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...and then one fine morning—
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
#112AnonymousUser11Posted 4/24/2013 4:05:51 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#113theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 5:01:20 PM(edited)
MrDante posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
MrDante posted...
I have never seen writing in video games on par with something like say F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

The Great Gatsby is a good novel with quite a bit of social commentary IIRC, but it wasn't a fantastic, riveting plot or anything of the sort. At least, in my opinion.

As social satire, it perfectly captured the era, and its social commentary of the American Dream resonates today and can be expanded in scope, which by the way the TV show The Wire has done amazingly so. However, what the novel is mostly known for is the author's beautiful prose and the way he perfectly integrates the deeper themes and symbols of his story into his writing. Again, I have never come across video game writing as good as the following passage from The Great Gatsby.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...and then one fine morning—
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

I have no doubt that it was well-written. I wholeheartedly agree. It just didn't grab me, personally, in terms of the actual plot.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#114akuma634Posted 4/25/2013 5:48:11 PM
Planescape Torment. That alone is the ultimate answer.
#115TehTrumpCardPosted 4/25/2013 6:17:41 PM
Clannad, 999, Corpse Party (if we only mention very specific chapters), Infamous 1 (if we are strictly talking about the story).

I would like to see something Great Gatsby-esque though now that some of the posters are talking about it. I remember reading it in high school and enjoyed it thoroughly, mainly because of the ending.
---
I love Nowi!!! http://tinyurl.com/trump-nowi http://tinyurl.com/durrhubba
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#116legolas95Posted 4/25/2013 8:40:13 PM
BioShock 1
BioShock Infinite
Dragon Age Origins
The Witcher 2(granted its based off books[of which were excellent] but whatever)
Mass Effect Trilogy(blah ending blah blah)
Assassin's Creed Series
The Walking Dead Telltale
Red Dead Redemption
Deus Ex
Deus Ex Human Revolution

So yeah I think they can tell stories on par with books. Maybe not better, but on par. Movies on the other hand... Games>movies. Imo.
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#117knuxnolePosted 4/25/2013 8:55:11 PM
Remember, stories are NOT supposed to introduce new elements or stories. If you actually believe that, prepared to be disappointed for life.
---
3DS FC: 4554-0309-4782
#118knuxnolePosted 4/25/2013 8:56:40 PM
jrr18 posted...
SuperMario1998 posted...
Kingdom Hearts
TWEWY
The Last Story
FF7
Kid Icarus Uprising (because it was funny)
Paper Mario TTYD

just off the top of my head.

really Kingdom Hearts had a good story? lol

It's more of a confusing story haha. I'm sure someone who can map together everything can make a good deep analysis on it.
---
3DS FC: 4554-0309-4782
#119almasbabyPosted 4/25/2013 9:23:57 PM
Far Cry 3
---
Hi ho. Hi ho. It's off to work I go. To post and troll, I know my role. Hi ho. Hi ho. Hi ho. Hi ho. - Suibom