This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Resident Evil sale today... What do I buy?

#1wigsplasherPosted 4/23/2013 7:49:35 AM
I've only played through the first few chapters in Resident Evil 5... Never played any of the other games but I'm looking to get into the series.
---
3D gaming is overrated
#2toadiemanPosted 4/23/2013 7:50:59 AM
Play 4
#3VigilantStevePosted 4/23/2013 8:08:49 AM
I'd get all of them, because they are fantastic games. Just be prepared because 1, 2, 3, and Code Veronica are all completely different types of games from 4, 5, and 6. I personally like the older games better (static camera angles, more exploration, more puzzle solving, less action based, etc.), but not everyone is going to agree with that.
#4este914Posted 4/23/2013 8:12:50 AM
Play all of them
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#5ThePHiLsTeRPosted 4/23/2013 9:13:45 AM
You should watch videos. Pre RE4 games have clunkier controls. Its not necessarily a bad thing. Its more geared toward horror and survival. You'll have a big nasty monster in front of you and turning around takes time for e.g. IMO RE2 and 3 are best in series pre RE4. But again they are very different games. RE5 is pretty different with 4.

RE1, 2, 3, and CVX should be grouped in same category. As in if you like one you'l probably like the others. If you like 4 doesn't mean you'll like 5.

Generally spearking most people like 2 and 3 and 4. Again 2 and 3 for different reasons compared to 4.

RE 5, CVX, and 6 have mixed reactions.
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#6CBASH13Posted 4/23/2013 9:27:49 AM
RE, 2, 3, CV and 4 are great games.

As everyone else has previously stated RE, 2, 3 and CV are a different style than 4, 5 and 6 which are heavily action oriented. RE6 is the worst the series has to offer IMO.

Start from the beginning and appreciate what the series has to offer.
---
It is what it is
#7Borticus1Posted 4/23/2013 9:42:27 AM
If you want to try the old ones, 1 is the simplest, but I'd recommend you play 2 first. You won't be missing any backstory, and they tightened the game. It will give you a feel for the game and controls.

If you like that one, then try 3 and CV, as they're variations on the same format.
#8Captain BrainslidePosted 4/23/2013 11:16:34 AM
I'm not much of a fan of the series, more of a Silent Hill/Siren person, but I quite liked Code Veronica back on the Dreamcast; the "tank" controls for moving around in those early games are hard to go back to now for me. RE1 is far better on the GameCube "REmake", also out for the Wii if you have that as an option. The one thing that makes the PS1 version of RE1 stand out was the so-bad-it's-good scripting, "master of unlocking" and "Jill sandwich" and all. RE2 was okay though it has more special features on other consoles. I'm one of the few who could appreciate the action of RE5 more than RE4, most people are the reverse. I never tried 3 or 6.
#9yem69420Posted 4/23/2013 11:22:05 AM
I'm not much of a fan of the series, more of a Silent Hill/Siren person, but I quite liked Code Veronica back on the Dreamcast; the "tank" controls for moving around in those early games are hard to go back to now for me. RE1 is far better on the GameCube "REmake", also out for the Wii if you have that as an option. The one thing that makes the PS1 version of RE1 stand out was the so-bad-it's-good scripting, "master of unlocking" and "Jill sandwich" and all. RE2 was okay though it has more special features on other consoles. I'm one of the few who could appreciate the action of RE5 more than RE4, most people are the reverse. I never tried 3 or 6.

I agree with him almost 100% except for the fact that I liked RE5 more than 4 for the co-op than the action. If I had to deal with AI sheva the whole time I would have gone insane. RE4 is a masterpiece in its atmosphere, as well as its gameplay. The best version of that I would say is the Wii version too. It gave me the eerie feeling that I got with the Silent Hill games almost.
---
psn, steam ID: yem69420
MW3 Ally Code: 2823-9199-3419
#10psprulz2007Posted 4/23/2013 11:28:01 AM
PLAY 1-3 and ignore the rest.
---
PSN(ps3+Vita)+GT= FeelinKorny