This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Metal Gear Solid and this board

#1JCY24Posted 4/23/2013 8:20:40 PM
I've been reading up a lot of MGS threads here just to see everyone's thoughts on the upcoming legacy collection and something genuinely piqued my interest. It seems as though MGS1 isn't well liked because of the "horrible controls", "bad voice acting", and "bad boss battles". I've never heard a single negative about MGS1 until this board as it's hailed as the greatest PS1 game by far from almost every major magazine/website, is the highest rated PSX game ever overall etc etc. I'm legit curious, is it because you guys are just playing now and it's outdated or are we just young(I'm an old man btw), I've just never seen a place have such a strong distaste towards it.
---
www.facebook.com/jcyoung24
#2zyrax2301Posted 4/23/2013 8:22:05 PM
Dude, that's just one guy in one topic. I'm pretty sure you're generalizing here.

MGS is well-loved on this board.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3warrenmatsPosted 4/23/2013 8:22:49 PM
MGS1 is flawed but its still a good game
---
:D
#4JCY24(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 8:24:57 PM
I saw at -least- 10 but still. I'm not denying it's well liked I just found it interesting because I've rarely if ever heard a bad word about the game since 1998. It's like if you stumbled across a bunch of OoT haters you'd be like "wait, what?"
---
www.facebook.com/jcyoung24
#5kenff6Posted 4/23/2013 8:25:25 PM
Are you joking? I've seen various topics on Gamefaqs calling MGS1 the best game in the series.

I'm sure a few people hate it but it's like that with every great game. Some people hate Ocarina of Time and FF7 as well.
#6DarkSymbiotePosted 4/23/2013 8:26:22 PM
You're confusing MGS1 with MGS: The Twin Snakes.
---
If you want a FREE code to download Lara Croft And the Guardian of Light from PSN, PM me. DO IT BEFORE THE 30TH OF APRIL.
#7Emi3280Posted 4/23/2013 8:26:27 PM
MG is the best series ever. It even has the seal of approval from Chuck Norris.
---
PlayStation Network: DarkEmigaru98
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Emi3280
#8spectermaster14Posted 4/23/2013 8:26:52 PM
That's how I felt when I learned that people hated Twin Snakes.
#9zyrax2301Posted 4/23/2013 8:27:00 PM
Hm, I guess.

"You look terrible, Snake. You haven't aged well", nodded Gray Fox.

I can see how it could be difficult for new-gen gamers to overlook the technical shortcomings. For that I'm glad I played the game when it was new and have no such issues in enjoying it.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#10sevil_yelimsPosted 4/23/2013 8:31:14 PM
WTF are you talking about? MGS1 and bad anything sounds just wrong.

The boss battles in MGS1 are varied and creative from each other.

Voice acting is inconsistent with the series because at the time of recording the voice director was given instructions that a couple characters were supposed to have accents. Same actors and director for the series, but they just have accents (in Naomi's case I'd argue she sounded better than she does in sequels).

Controls are very good and pretty similar to MGS2/MGS3 minus their upgraded features like shooting in first person view.

I'm out.
---
Capcom Math: 4 + 5 = 6 #RE6