This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT We list why DmC Dante is a good character

#31SigmaHacielPosted 4/26/2013 8:03:05 AM
Pretty bad when a defending topic flops at the intended job.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#32theshovellerPosted 4/26/2013 8:12:24 AM
Spoilers for.... well, we'll play it safe and say the entire Devil May Cry series.

More character evolution. Dante had more of a natural evolution, I think, in the new Devil May Cry game than he did in Devil May Cry 3. When DMC3 opens, he's opening a shop to deal with demon problems, but didn't have a name. He doesn't change much throughout the course of the game - he obviously cares about people other than himself, or else he wouldn't have been opening a shop that deals specifically in work as harsh as hunting down demons for clients who wouldn't be able to pay (as Lady didn't pay him, and Trish was apparently the second customer he had.) He retains that same attitude throughout the series until his drastic shift due to some unknown reason in Devil May Cry 2 - but we don't see what caused that dramatic shift.

Compare this to the new game, where he starts out not caring about anyone else because he's "had it so rough," but actually changes when he realizes he isn't the only one who's had it hard growing up - and he actually had the power to fight back against the ones who made his life rough, unlike Kat. He goes from liking his brother, despite some things he does that he doesn't agree with (like killing Mundus's kid and... concubine, I guess?) to bringing up arms against him after realizing his brother sees humans as pathetic creatures who need "someone like them to rule over them." He retains his cockiness, but he loses a lot of his selfishness. He's still jaded, mind you, but he does actually care about other people by the end of the game.

The plot is still outlandish, and I think cutting open his chest to make sure he has a heart was kind of unneeded, but as far as Dante's character? He's gone through more observed changes in this one game than he has the entirety of the old series, in my opinion.

That's just my thoughts on it. Inevitably, someone will argue that I'm wrong, or I haven't played the original games, or something because they disagree with me. They're free to disagree with me - that's cool. That makes me no more right or wrong than they are for any reasoning they can think of, as this is my observations from someone who has played every Devil May Cry game when they first came out. I watched a few episodes of the anime, but kind of lost interest in it.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#33HolyMcmolyPosted 4/26/2013 8:15:50 AM
Although his hair is ****, it makes old Dante's hair look like something worse than ****. Realistically someone could pull off that hairstyle. Can't say the same for that white emo mop in the older DMC's.
#34wstfldPosted 4/26/2013 8:33:28 AM
Lol not even the DmC defenders could say why Donte is a good character.

Mostly because no one ever played a DMC game for the character, unless they are a flaming weeabo.
---
Last Played: Star Craft 2 HOTS (9.5/10)
Now Playing: SOTC HD, StarCraft 2, Wipeout 2048, Mortal Kombat (Vita), God of War Ascension
#35Shadow CloudPosted 4/26/2013 8:36:41 AM
theshoveller posted...
Spoilers for.... well, we'll play it safe and say the entire Devil May Cry series.

More character evolution. Dante had more of a natural evolution, I think, in the new Devil May Cry game than he did in Devil May Cry 3. When DMC3 opens, he's opening a shop to deal with demon problems, but didn't have a name. He doesn't change much throughout the course of the game - he obviously cares about people other than himself, or else he wouldn't have been opening a shop that deals specifically in work as harsh as hunting down demons for clients who wouldn't be able to pay (as Lady didn't pay him, and Trish was apparently the second customer he had.) He retains that same attitude throughout the series until his drastic shift due to some unknown reason in Devil May Cry 2 - but we don't see what caused that dramatic shift.

Compare this to the new game, where he starts out not caring about anyone else because he's "had it so rough," but actually changes when he realizes he isn't the only one who's had it hard growing up - and he actually had the power to fight back against the ones who made his life rough, unlike Kat. He goes from liking his brother, despite some things he does that he doesn't agree with (like killing Mundus's kid and... concubine, I guess?) to bringing up arms against him after realizing his brother sees humans as pathetic creatures who need "someone like them to rule over them." He retains his cockiness, but he loses a lot of his selfishness. He's still jaded, mind you, but he does actually care about other people by the end of the game.

The plot is still outlandish, and I think cutting open his chest to make sure he has a heart was kind of unneeded, but as far as Dante's character? He's gone through more observed changes in this one game than he has the entirety of the old series, in my opinion.

That's just my thoughts on it. Inevitably, someone will argue that I'm wrong, or I haven't played the original games, or something because they disagree with me. They're free to disagree with me - that's cool. That makes me no more right or wrong than they are for any reasoning they can think of, as this is my observations from someone who has played every Devil May Cry game when they first came out. I watched a few episodes of the anime, but kind of lost interest in it.

Couldn't agree with you more. I think we're like the only two who actually gave serious responses to this topic.
#36monkeypahngPosted 4/26/2013 9:27:29 AM
He eats pizza; I like pizza. I can relate to his character.
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang
#37bladegash666Posted 4/27/2013 10:32:39 AM
Rhianna haircut
Meth head SWAG
Vagrant look
Sloppy speech.

I'M DONE!
---
"People said, "if you don't like DmC, don't buy it or play it." Why feel blame when you did as you were asked?" - NostalgiaRules
#38RayconPosted 4/27/2013 10:51:22 AM
Shadow Cloud posted...
Couldn't agree with you more. I think we're like the only two who actually gave serious responses to this topic.

I gave a serious response. Does mine not count because it wasn't in defense of the character?

I see how it is... >= (
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#39ScreamingMidgetPosted 4/27/2013 10:58:52 AM
-
-
-
-
-
-
#40PsychoWolfXPosted 4/27/2013 11:00:55 AM
He has more Facebook friends then old Dante.