This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is "the deteriation of Japanese games" a myth?

#1doofy102Posted 4/25/2013 2:09:02 AM(edited)
*deterioration* shhh

In the not-too-distant future, we have MGSV, Dark Souls 2 and The Evil Within. All tremendously exciting games in their own rights.

Just recently the new Dragon's Dogma thing came out (yet to play it, but I trust that it's the real deal). Capcom has otherwise fallen but we've had Platinum studios pumping out high quality action IPs all gen.

For Sony gamers, Japan still possesses many of the best devs. When the "games should be hollywood!" trend ceases, maybe the industry fools will finally notice.
---
LittleBigPockets: A study of the video game LittleBigPlanet and the odd things that children create on it. http://littlebigpockets.blogspot.com.au/
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 4/25/2013 2:11:07 AM
Kojima Productions and Platinum are the only two Japanes companies worth noting these days. And even then they can't do much without their leaders.
---
Liquor is powerful. But Soda is solid.
#3HorrorSindicatePosted 4/25/2013 2:15:11 AM
I'll let you know when I am playing an English copy of Yakuza 1&2 HD.

Seriously, I think it is a strongly held perception that has for many become their reality.
---
I've seen the future, baby: it is murder
#4Ace_DefectivePosted 4/25/2013 2:17:32 AM
Yes
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tAjKHgxrJQ <3
Forever hoping for a sequel. Please make it happen, tri-Ace.
#5Bayonetta_Posted 4/25/2013 2:22:08 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6HolyMcmolyPosted 4/25/2013 2:24:39 AM
No, no it isn't. When's the last time a Japanese game won the majority of GotY awards? The last BIG critical success I can think of was Shadow of the Colossus. Maybe MGS4. The fact is, a great game from a dev outside of Japan is much more common nowadays, and it wasn't like that in the early 90's. That tells me there's some deterioration going on.
#7doofy102(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 2:27:35 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
Kojima Productions and Platinum are the only two Japanes companies worth noting these days. And even then they can't do much without their leaders.

I doubt Rockstar would be where it were without the Houser brothers. Naughty Dog would go through somewhat of an identity crisis if their head screenwriters suddenly left. This leadership thing isn't only tied to Japan.

And no, it's not just those 2 companies. I listed at least twice as many in my OP that are at least "noteworthy". But they're not just "noteworthy" - they're good. Damn good. There aren't many great Western devs either, sure, there might be "more" than there are good devs in Japan, but to say Japan's talent has faded when really they've just shifted around...
---
LittleBigPockets: A study of the video game LittleBigPlanet and the odd things that children create on it. http://littlebigpockets.blogspot.com.au/
#8PurificationPosted 4/25/2013 4:02:55 AM
HolyMcmoly posted...
No, no it isn't. When's the last time a Japanese game won the majority of GotY awards? The last BIG critical success I can think of was Shadow of the Colossus. Maybe MGS4. The fact is, a great game from a dev outside of Japan is much more common nowadays, and it wasn't like that in the early 90's. That tells me there's some deterioration going on.

You make it sound like winning the GotY award is a good thing...ridiculous. Those awards are handed to failed games in an attempt to give them publicity so they can gather fame. Winning GotY is a last ditch attempt for the game to salvage itself and earn some sales. Publishers basically pay so their game can win the award as a publicity stunt.
---
The Judge, Jury, and Executioner
#9AnthonM2Posted 4/25/2013 4:05:00 AM
doofy102 posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...

I doubt Rockstar would be where it were without the Houser brothers. Naughty Dog would go through somewhat of an identity crisis if their head screenwriters suddenly left. This leadership thing isn't only tied to Japan.

And no, it's not just those 2 companies. I listed at least twice as many in my OP that are at least "noteworthy". But they're not just "noteworthy" - they're good. Damn good. There aren't many great Western devs either, sure, there might be "more" than there are good devs in Japan, but to say Japan's talent has faded when really they've just shifted around...

I used to not believe that the leader is important until I played the awful Ninja Gaiden 3, Team Ninja is nothing without Itagaki.
#10HolyMcmolyPosted 4/25/2013 4:40:28 AM
Purification posted...
HolyMcmoly posted...

You make it sound like winning the GotY award is a good thing...ridiculous. Those awards are handed to failed games in an attempt to give them publicity so they can gather fame. Winning GotY is a last ditch attempt for the game to salvage itself and earn some sales. Publishers basically pay so their game can win the award as a publicity stunt.

You're right. Games like Uncharted 2, Portal 2, and The Walking Dead game, aren't deserving of a GotY award. Those are obvious examples of failed games.

That is one **** opinion you got there.