This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do male gamers hate women so much?

#71chaosflame108Posted 4/25/2013 9:39:31 PM
I'm a female gamer and have never been harassed because of it. All my guy friends are cool.
Sure, sometimes nerds will stare at me at Gamestop, but I just think it's harmless.

I don't game online, so that's a big part of not being harassed, since nameless faceless kids can say or write what they want anonymously.
But in real life, 99% of guys aren't like that.

I think it's just the obnoxious Youtube girls who wear low cut tops and push-up bras, then complain because teenage boys are writing "Boobz!!!" in the comments.
Those girls are asking for it.

Sup baby, why don't you let me get dem digits?
---
I AM SATANAIL. HE WHO SHALL SET RIGHT THIS DISTORTED UNIVERSE!!!
#72z827Posted 4/25/2013 9:40:33 PM
chaosflame108 posted...
I'm a female gamer and have never been harassed because of it. All my guy friends are cool.
Sure, sometimes nerds will stare at me at Gamestop, but I just think it's harmless.

I don't game online, so that's a big part of not being harassed, since nameless faceless kids can say or write what they want anonymously.
But in real life, 99% of guys aren't like that.

I think it's just the obnoxious Youtube girls who wear low cut tops and push-up bras, then complain because teenage boys are writing "Boobz!!!" in the comments.
Those girls are asking for it.

Sup baby, why don't you let me get dem digits?

Dammit dude, you're adding oil to the fire.
---
Char Aznable : "A Mobile Suit's performance does not decide a battle's outcome!"
#73PhaseSlaethePosted 4/25/2013 9:42:07 PM
Let him. The way Steph is gonna "drop dem digits" is gonna hurt this poser.
#74LightRukiaPosted 4/25/2013 9:50:43 PM
From: Video_Game_Czar | Posted: 4/26/2013 12:19:01 AM | #065
Willing to beat anything in a few years you wouldn't be gaming...So, Please, Stop using the term "gamer".

Women do it because we like it...and out of nowhere gaming as a whole should conform to them? Christ, Where were these female "gamers" before now? Because gaming was better years ago...So, Why are they all over it all sudden when it's at it's weakest? Couldn't be because it's socially acceptable now? Everyone is a "geek" now? I wonder?

I'm sure you'll throw out the I'm a old school "gamer" because you saw a Sega Genesis in real life once.

See...Unlike the people on this board and many others on the internet...Having boobs and an XBox doesn't impress me. White knight sell outs like Adam Sessler, These greedy webcam women playing video games and losers hoping; wishing that a female "gamer" will be there girlfriends...These we can do without. The world is filled to the brim with scum leeching on to something...I just can't wait until you guys get your fill [ie get bored] and move on.

...But by then the damage is done.

Umm I don't know about everyone else but I've been gaming since I was 5 on the PC and no I'm not talking about just playing learning games either. At 5, I certainly wasn't caring in the slightest what all the boys were doing.

In fact, at that age the only males I saw playing a few games was my older brother and he stopped playing games altogether after the sega genesis. He tried to play the ghostbusters game on my sister's 360 and he thought moving the camera and character at the same time was weird.

While I (and my twin sister) continued to play on the pc and eventually the ps1 (at age 8). We both even had a gamegear (you know that battery guzzler) and I saw no one else even playing with those. <_<
---
http://i.imgur.com/3pdnu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mH6dQ.gif
#75i am pogo the monkeyPosted 4/25/2013 9:53:24 PM
renasunflash posted...
I'm a female gamer.

What I think is happening right now is that certain men feel threatened or limited by women coming into the gaming industry, because now someone is calling them out and saying "that image could be offensive" or "this is inappropriate." I can understand that it's difficult for these men to now have to take a woman's perspective into account and accept that their industry and even the world itself is changing. I get how they might be frustrated. Also, even having women interested in gaming might be challenging to some men, because the traditional idea is that women don't like video games. Maybe some men are suspicious, thinking that women are trying to act against men and 'ruin' games, as if this is some women vs. men issue. They don't understand why women can't stick to their 'feminine' traditional activities and stay out of men's interests, as if this is the 1800s.

Male gamers don't hate women. I think at the level of those playing the games, there's not much of a gender issue. While I've experienced some unwanted attention on certain games due to being female, I've never felt 'hated' - I think most guys are rather neutral about girls playing video games.

The issue is with developers. I'm not sure hate is the right word, but there definitely seems to be an issue amongst these primarily older men when it comes to treating their women coworkers fairly, and creating games that aren't outright offensive to many women and also to many men. But it's not the content of certain games that's the real problem, it's the attitude towards people who identify aspects as objectionable. Like, how dare someone say an extremely revealing outfit on a female warrior is stupid - they must be gay, or a woman (because those are the worst insults these old men can think up)!

I don't feel that the things I'm interested in as a female gamer are significantly different from what male gamers in my age range would like, or would be okay with having included in an optional manner at the least. I think it would be beneficial for ALL gamers if certain men in the industry would get with the times and get over their egos so we wouldn't have to hear about gender equality issues so frequently.

I don't see why the industry should change based on people finding something offensive. You're going to have to start changing/banning a lot of things if you follow the logic of, "hey this group finds this offensive so get it out of here!" Don't like something? Then don't buy it. Don't support it. Don't give that company your money. The market will speak for itself. Game developers will start to change if they see a lot of people refusing to play their games because some thing is taking place in them. If the majority of gamers find nothing wrong with hypersexualized women in their games, then why do you think your voice should be catered to more than the majority? Instead of trying to get your way at the expense of everyone else (which sounds pretty selfish to me), you should hope some company will design a game with characters acting/looking in a way that corresponds to your values, and fill that hole in the market. The game developers will if they see that this part of the market actually exists.

And when I say "you" and "your" I'm not really speaking to you, I'm speaking to anyone who believes their opinion matters more than someone else.
---
Anaheim Ducks
Angels
#76HolyMcmolyPosted 4/25/2013 9:57:55 PM
They hate what they can't get. #foreveralone, broccoli.
#77FaustXIIPosted 4/26/2013 12:32:55 PM
wheepitup posted...
FaustXII posted...
CelestialMind posted...
A writer points out unappropriate art styles and male gamers throw a fit of rage? Would they do the same if the writer was pointing out racism? Probably not.

I heard there are 30 year old males defending this nonsense? Why that's one of the sadest things I've ever heard...

Thank you, look for a thread close to 500 in this board to really whimper and cry for mankind.

Because of your posts mainly.

No, yours. I'm not the one who is so desperate and suffers because his life is being trashed by sexism yet chooses to give up and do nothing about it.
#78Godly_GoofPosted 4/26/2013 12:43:24 PM(edited)
FaustXII posted...
wheepitup posted...
FaustXII posted...
CelestialMind posted...
A writer points out unappropriate art styles and male gamers throw a fit of rage? Would they do the same if the writer was pointing out racism? Probably not.

I heard there are 30 year old males defending this nonsense? Why that's one of the sadest things I've ever heard...

Thank you, look for a thread close to 500 in this board to really whimper and cry for mankind.

No, yours. I'm not the one who is so desperate and suffers because his life is being trashed by sexism yet chooses to give up and do nothing about it.

Your still going with this? Okay ya know what? screw it. If you truly are a homosexual like you claimed to be then I'm sure you realize what "speaking for others" does. It only caused the oppression of homosexuals since pretty much the dawn of time. It wasn't until homosexuals actually voiced THEIR OWN VOICE that people started embracing them. Youre actions are most likely making gay rights advocates flip in their graves.

Women like homosexuals are more than able to voice THEIR OWN OPINIONS on subjects and they don't need some completely biased idiot doing it on their behalf.

You're a joke as a person and an insult to people of your sexual preference.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#79wheepitupPosted 4/26/2013 1:31:28 PM
FaustXII posted...
wheepitup posted...
FaustXII posted...
CelestialMind posted...

You mean how I accept the reality that people will be attracted to what attracts them rather than forcing themselves to be with someone they have no physical attraction to?

As much as it sucks, that's reality, and it's better to try and improve yourself than sit and whine about how the world isn't fair.
---
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/decayedmatter
Me - http://i.imgur.com/MgPIx3U.jpg
#80renasunflashPosted 4/26/2013 1:52:18 PM
Video_Game_Czar posted...

Willing to beat anything in a few years you wouldn't be gaming...So, Please, Stop using the term "gamer".

Women do it because we like it...and out of nowhere gaming as a whole should conform to them? Christ, Where were these female "gamers" before now? Because gaming was better years ago...So, Why are they all over it all sudden when it's at it's weakest? Couldn't be because it's socially acceptable now? Everyone is a "geek" now? I wonder?

I'm sure you'll throw out the I'm a old school "gamer" because you saw a Sega Genesis in real life once.

See...Unlike the people on this board and many others on the internet...Having boobs and an XBox doesn't impress me. White knight sell outs like Adam Sessler, These greedy webcam women playing video games and losers hoping; wishing that a female "gamer" will be there girlfriends...These we can do without. The world is filled to the brim with scum leeching on to something...I just can't wait until you guys get your fill [ie get bored] and move on.

...But by then the damage is done.

I'm sorry that you're uncomfortable with me calling myself a gamer, but I have as much right to that title as you do. I'd love to make that bet with you; I've been a console gamer since 1998, a PC gamer before that, and I can't imagine why I'd suddenly stop a few years from now.

I'm not saying gaming should "conform to women." In fact, what I said was that what female gamers want is not that different from what male gamers want, but certain egotistical men don't think women have valid opinions. Presumably these men have difficulty understanding women are people too, and not just objects to be looked at, based on many of the stories shared by women working in the industry.

Oh, by the way: "... Out of nowhere gaming as a whole should conform to [women because they like it]?" Wait, are you saying it should only conform to men? Why? Because they did it first? Because that's a stupid reason. 50% of the world is women, and in modern society there should be no industry completely dominated by men. It doesn't make sense.

You seem resentful and confused. Let me clarify something for you. I'm not a leech, or a geek, or an 'old school gamer.' I am a woman who plays video games fairly regularly, because I like them. You and I probably like video games for many of the same reasons. I'm sure you have some criticisms about gaming, and so do I. I'm not sure why you think my opinions should matter less, or that I'm some sort of poser, simply because I'm not male. And if you think most female gamers only play because it's 'socially acceptable,' you really need to smarten up.