This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MAG: Why did most people not accept it?

#31LazyKennyPosted 4/26/2013 3:11:20 AM
There were two big problems with this game that made everyone stop playing this game.

1. S.V.E.R. were undeniably the best PMC out of the three and no amount of bad players from Raven and Valor vetting over to them could make the overall skill of S.V.E.R. suffer enough for the other two to catch up. Even if S.V.E.R. players did suck, their maps were so easy to defend that skill was hardly needed to begin wtih. Raven players in their domination map didn't even have rooftops if you were one of the poor 64 total people assigned either the first or third platoon. This meant the other teams could call airstrikes directly on the last capture points. Valor may as well not have even had an Acquisition map.

2. Light machine guns were the best weapons in the entire game, with almost no reason to use anything else. Lag meant that it took around 20ish bullets to kill someone and only LMGs could support the amount of ammo needed. It had insane amounts of accuracy, which only improved after each attempted nerf. But the biggest insult was how long the game remained an LMGfest until something was finally done about it. Unfortunately, the damage was done and the developers had already shifted their focus to SOCOM 4.
#32NthPosted 4/26/2013 5:20:11 AM
LazyKenny posted...
There were two big problems with this game that made everyone stop playing this game.

1. S.V.E.R. were undeniably the best PMC out of the three and no amount of bad players from Raven and Valor vetting over to them could make the overall skill of S.V.E.R. suffer enough for the other two to catch up. Even if S.V.E.R. players did suck, their maps were so easy to defend that skill was hardly needed to begin wtih. Raven players in their domination map didn't even have rooftops if you were one of the poor 64 total people assigned either the first or third platoon. This meant the other teams could call airstrikes directly on the last capture points. Valor may as well not have even had an Acquisition map.

2. Light machine guns were the best weapons in the entire game, with almost no reason to use anything else. Lag meant that it took around 20ish bullets to kill someone and only LMGs could support the amount of ammo needed. It had insane amounts of accuracy, which only improved after each attempted nerf. But the biggest insult was how long the game remained an LMGfest until something was finally done about it. Unfortunately, the damage was done and the developers had already shifted their focus to SOCOM 4.

Definitely agree with the SVER imbalance. Playing on SVER is like playing the game in Easy Mode and then giving yourself a big pat on the back for being able to beat the other hamstrung factions.

Socom 2 also initially suffered from the LMG exploit so that should have been a lesson Zipper learned a long time ago. I still play MAG to this day and two of my loadouts use LMG's, but I bought the bipod and always use them from the prone position. I don't see a whole lot of people still using the LMG's now that they're no longer recoiless.

I actually am hopeful for MAG 2 considering Sony owns the property and has continued making strides in the MMOFPS market with Planetside 2.
---
"The only thing I learned during my first pre-law class was that justice has no place in the legal system." - G