This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there people out there who are still buying new PlayStation 3's?

#1SolnotPosted 4/26/2013 3:16:35 PM
What with the next generation PS4 looming just around the corner, I'd say PS3 sales have pretty much stagnated or started declining at this point. Right?
#2FoxtrotDelta88Posted 4/26/2013 3:18:10 PM
I would think people are still buying new consoles for a few reasons. If the old one breaks but you still want to play the current gen games, you would probably buy one, and more times than not, buying a new system is cheaper than buying a used one in the long run
---
I believe in Jim Gordon...I believe in Harvey Dent...I believe in Gotham City
#3qwertyMrJINXPosted 4/26/2013 3:19:33 PM
Of course there are! Why would you even want a PS4?
---
"You don't need a knife to kill a game maker. Just call it crap." - Piros
#4most_games_r_okPosted 4/26/2013 3:25:13 PM
What with the next generation PS4 looming just around the corner, I'd say PS3 sales have pretty much stagnated or started declining at this point. Right?

No. Console sales as a whole have generally slowed down, and it is more to do with the economic situation far more than anything to do with next gen.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/Micer101.png
#5archizzyPosted 4/26/2013 3:32:46 PM
I don't look at sales data but for many people this is a good time to buy since they have a large established library to keep them busy and can get many games on the cheap.

These are the people who tend to stay about 1 console behind for stability and economic reasons. If they haven't got a PS3 by now 6.5 years into the cycle the majority of them wouldn't be early PS4 purchasers anyway.

Obviously there are exceptions but there is usually always a steady purchase rate for consoles until they are removed from the shelf even if the numbers are smaller.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#6KaiKun91Posted 4/26/2013 3:41:46 PM
For me, I could see myself still playing PS3 for the next 4-5 years and bonus is when PS4 is out, PS3 games goes on sales. This is PS2 all over again.
#7doodles40Posted 4/26/2013 3:42:39 PM
Not everyone needs or wants the new shiny toy. Some can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a console so they wait until the next generation comes out then they buy a last gen console.

Sony still sold a ton of PS2s after the PS3 came out.
#8Devilman_AmonPosted 4/26/2013 3:45:43 PM
qwertyMrJINX posted...
Of course there are! Why would you even want a PS4?

Because it transforms into a sleek motorcycle/flying mech armor suit while the XBox 720 transforms into a portable toilet
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#92pac_Alypse_NowPosted 4/26/2013 5:11:50 PM
If anything the ps3 sales are on the rise. For the week of April 13th the ps3 sold something like 130,000 units.
Remember that there's a very small percentage of gamers around the world that will buy a new console close to launch. The ps2 was still selling very well in markets outside of North America, Europe and Japan up until a few years ago.

Price cuts, flood of games and accessibility all contribute to the great sale spurs consoles have near the end of their lifetime.
---
Advocate for gay rights, equality with respect to race and gender and working for a safer world
#10campersniperPosted 4/26/2013 5:14:59 PM
i ordered a ps3 today!
---
@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat.