This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

have you stopped psn purchases on ps3 now that they dont transfer to ps4?

• Topic Archived
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. have you stopped psn purchases on ps3 now that they dont transfer to ps4?
2 years ago#101
Quote:bigjig777 posted...
wheepitup posted...
bigjig777 posted...
Why does everyone think this is a digital download only problem? It's not as though your PS3 disc games will work on PS4 either..

Because if your old PS3 breaks down and you buy another one, your discs will automatically work on the next one. What happens if PSN for PS3 is shut down a few years from now, your ps3 breaks down, and all your games are no longer able to be redownloaded.

And please don't say they will never shut down the ps3 version of psn, because they shut down xbox 1 and PS2 online servers. The same will happen with ps3. Also do not say "I wont care about playing old games by then!" This isn't directed to the disposable gamer types, this is directed towards the collectors who want to enjoy the games they purchased for the rest of their lives.

Fair enough point. Sooner or later Sony are going to stop manufacturing PS3s though, which would make just buying a new one a tough proposition. Whether or not that will happen before Sony shuts down PSN I don't know, but I just think it's a fallacy to think having a physical disc is a magic iron clad guarantee that you'll be able to play a game forever.

More iron clad than console digital downloads provide. I still buy NES and SNES games on ebay, what, 20 years later? So yea, more faith in physical games here. Can you still download those online exclusive BS Snes games?

@wheepitup

But you can still buy digital copies of those classic NES and SNES on Nintendo's virtual console for a lot cheaper than what you can compared to a rare physical copy off of ebay. So yeah, not really seeing your point there..
---
Be water, my friend
2 years ago#102
@aldath
it kinda doesnt help your point when you say someone is still screwing up yet only reference something that happened what like 2 years ago?
2 years ago#103
No. I'm going to buy a back-up PS3 anyways.
2 years ago#104
^^
Buying a back up PS3 is a smart move. Large HDD and Sony may be giving them away compared to the prices 6 years ago.
---
The Infinite Improbability Drive is our New Hope
2 years ago#105
No, since:

1. My PS3 is reasonably new.

2. I can make the most of what I have now regardless.
---
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Seraphim_Dragon.png
You're casual if you like anything. Real hardcore gamers hate everything.-CyhortI82
2 years ago#106
cirkmetroid posted...
Why would they transfer over, the PS4 won't be able to play any PS3 games.

I'm sorry.....what?!
2 years ago#107
*i thought that was all console wars bs like the always online xbox?
2 years ago#108
Man I've missed out on some great games since I stopped buying consoles when SNES wouldn't play NES games. . .
2 years ago#109
I will keep buying stuff for my PS3, and when the next generation comes, my PS3 is going to be in a comfy place in my closet, next to my old Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Saturn, Genesis, and my SNES.
---
PlayStation Network: DarkEmigaru98
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Emi3280
2 years ago#110
cirkmetroid posted...
Why would they transfer over, the PS4 won't be able to play any PS3 games.

I'm sorry.....what?!

*i thought that was all console wars bs like the always online xbox?

Yes. The PS4 can not play any PS1, PS2 or PS3 games unless it's through online streaming. So if you're one of the many on GFAQ who think digital games are the equivalent of plagued out Nazis, you might as well just skip it entirely. And you might as well skip the Xbox Infinity, because multiple sources keep confirming(or hinting) that it will require an always on connection. One of the higher ups at Microsoft even mentioned it.

And to clarify how Digital Distribution works for GFAQ(mostly everyone on here does not know). Once you buy the game, you are given a license. A license to use said game. It's the exact same thing as if you buy a disc game now days(the company has the legal right to revoke access if they see fit. Read the ToU sometime), except you can download it. When the PSN shuts down, which it wont, not for a long long time at least, you might be out of luck. You might not. A few years back Manhunt 2 was removed from a digital download website on PC. Do you know what R* did? If you emailed them they would send you a free disc version of MH2, as well as some other goodies. Now I don't know if Sony, or anyone else would do this. But R* will, because they are awesome.

And now let me tell you why the PSN wont shut down shortly after the PS4 launches. It's because the f***ing PS4 is using the PSN. Sure Sony may stop updating the PS3 store, but they will in no way permanently shut it down while the PS4 is still around. Or the PS5. Or 6, or however many they continue to make.

And now onto Gaikai streaming. Sony haven't announced anything on how it'll work. But I'm going to speculate it will work like this. For physical games, you pop it into the disc drive, load up Gaikai and get the license on the disc transferred over to your Gaikai account. For digital games, your Gaikai account will sync with your PSN account, and automatically transfer any purchased games. Downside is you will have to rebuy gameshared games, but that's a small price to pay. Unless you're a cheap ass and had all your friends buy games and download them from their account.
---
Donít know where I come from
But I know where I have been
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. have you stopped psn purchases on ps3 now that they dont transfer to ps4?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived