This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

have you stopped psn purchases on ps3 now that they dont transfer to ps4?

#121CooperRCPosted 4/29/2013 3:07:14 PM
gtaking5 posted...
cirkmetroid posted...
Why would they transfer over, the PS4 won't be able to play any PS3 games.

I'm sorry.....what?!

*i thought that was all console wars bs like the always online xbox?

Yes. The PS4 can not play any PS1, PS2 or PS3 games unless it's through online streaming. So if you're one of the many on GFAQ who think digital games are the equivalent of plagued out Nazis, you might as well just skip it entirely. And you might as well skip the Xbox Infinity, because multiple sources keep confirming(or hinting) that it will require an always on connection. One of the higher ups at Microsoft even mentioned it.

I will not believe Microsoft is going to do this until it happens.

However, if it does (and Sony does not follow), then it could have other side effects that people do not realize. Some big games (i.e Call of Duty) may decide to go exclusive on the XBOX if they are they only console trying to mess with used games.

I would not buy one if they do it though....
#122IChangedMyNamePosted 4/29/2013 3:48:13 PM
king_madden posted...
problem with your thinking is, moving forward doesnt mean supporting the past. could they add it, yep, would it make the console more expensive, also yes. like you said it would be easy to implement, but it costs more and isnt worth it. more people would buy a console cause its cheap and lacks bc, rather than buying one that costs more that has BC

Like cost should be a problem? Again, how much did they lose on EACH PS3 sold due to Blu-ray?

A format no one asked for, but because of it the PS3 cost a ass load at launch and why?

I'm simply pointing out that they don't care about if its doable and cost doesn't matter clearly by looking at Sony's record.

What matters is, it is doable and it probably wouldn't be as hard or cost effective as they'd make it sound but would rather deny that and resell us the games we already have.

Sure, thats good business, but bad consumerism.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#123Seifer_usPosted 4/29/2013 6:08:57 PM
Lord_Xandros posted...
It's embarassing how this is a problem for some people.

This is starting well. The smug is so thick it's hard to breath.

Guys, it's the PS4, not the PS4321. I don't quite understand how it can't play PS1 games since I'm sure Sony could whip up an emulator for it quite simply (I mean, the PSP PS1 emulator was tiny in size and works well), but I know that a PS2 emulator is quite a stretch and a PS3 emulator is just unorthadox and silly to consider, but whatever, I still have my working PS1.

And PS2.

And currently PS3.

Okay, let me put this in perspective for you. The PS2 sold approximately a ****ton of units at launch partially because of backwards compatibility. When the Wii came out Nintendo likewise added in Gamecube support because they saw the value of having a huge software lineup from launch. Maybe somebody wanted to play Gamecube games but was on the fence about it, and maybe they were also on the fence about the Wii itself; but with BOTH libraries at their disposal they decide to go ahead and get the Wii. Boom. Backwards compatibility boosts sales. Even Microsoft implemented BC for their best loved titles because they knew that people would want an X-Box for Halo, and... oops, no Halo title at launch. Backwards compatibility to the rescue!

Seriously, the PS3 sold poorly initially because of the high price point, but did you ever consider how much worse it might have sold without the initial PS1 and PS2 support? Almost everyone I knew who bought one at launch primarily used it for playing PS2 games because, to quote them, "The PS3 doesn't have any good games yet." Backwards compatibility was a huge step forward for the industry as a whole. To take it out of the equation, particularly at launch when nothing good will be out for the PS4 yet anyway, is insanely stupid. Mark my words, the PS4 will have a terrible launch. Only the most diehard technophiles will pay for it.

Some of you must live in terrible conditions if your consoles break so often. I mean, I've played the crap out of my PS2 since EU release day and the only proble was the DRE, which was fixed by opening her up and and cleaning the vast amount of built up dust from inside, and the lens. I'm sure some of you who have stated your lens broke didn't even try cleaning it, or any kind of housekeeping.

I also understand the early PS3 issues with the YLOD, but you know the risks now. If you're still grasping on the PS2 capabilities of the old PS3s, then you shouldn't be suprised when no-one cares.

None of my systems have ever broken on me before I sold them with the exception of my launch PS3 which just died this year. I also still have a launch PS2, but the point is that I would much prefer it if I could get rid of it and not look back. Why? Because it takes up space and...

Old PS1s and PS2s are as cheap as two days of lunch now. What's the problem? Oh, not enough space? Damn, if only there were some sort of device that could increase the amount of inputs to your TV.

...it's obviously not about inputs. It's about having a lot of shelf space hogged by multiple machines. It's about not having an unsightly cluster**** of cables going everywhere. It's about living in small apartments in big cities where space is at a premium. Good on you if you have a ****-all big ass house with all the room in the world, but a good many people don't.

Also, if two days of lunch costs you $50, then I suggest you stop eating so damn much before your heart explodes.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#124king_maddenPosted 4/29/2013 6:19:14 PM
IChangedMyName posted...
king_madden posted...
problem with your thinking is, moving forward doesnt mean supporting the past. could they add it, yep, would it make the console more expensive, also yes. like you said it would be easy to implement, but it costs more and isnt worth it. more people would buy a console cause its cheap and lacks bc, rather than buying one that costs more that has BC

Like cost should be a problem? Again, how much did they lose on EACH PS3 sold due to Blu-ray?

A format no one asked for, but because of it the PS3 cost a ass load at launch and why?

I'm simply pointing out that they don't care about if its doable and cost doesn't matter clearly by looking at Sony's record.

What matters is, it is doable and it probably wouldn't be as hard or cost effective as they'd make it sound but would rather deny that and resell us the games we already have.

Sure, thats good business, but bad consumerism.

you name thing and list it as "looking at sonys record". maybe they learned they dont need all that extra, blu ray was the way to go, and even helped sell units because bought those instead of blu ray players in the beginning. not to mention that was very important, you are right fans didnt ask for it, but where would they have been had they not supported it? they wouldve been behind and needed to add some kind extra device to show it, sony wants to move forward, again thats leaving the past. theres a reason BC usually isnt widely advertised as a major feature.

as for it being doable and not like they say thats purely opinion from someone who doesnt know anything about the process. im not going to sit and act like I know, but for me to assume it just because I want would be pointless. I understand you would want a more expensive console as long as you can play your games, but I think the majority doesnt mind that much if its there or not they will still buy it. as shown by the ps3.
#125PsychoWolfXPosted 4/29/2013 6:23:59 PM
Currently have no interest whatsoever in the PS4 or 720, and if they do anything stupid (Always online, block used games, ect) I really doubt that I'll ever get one. I'm planning on switching over to PC dropping consoles and going with PC/handhelds next gen anyway.

I can't see myself ever abandoning the PS3 anyway. I never get rid of my old consoles I still play my PS1, PS2, SNES, N64 pretty often and even have a few back up systems stored away if/when they fail