This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Top 10 most disappointing games you have played this gen.

#1TheOriginalMaxPosted 4/28/2013 2:16:54 PM
Including demos because people aren't likely to buy a game if the demo disappoints.

NO FLAME WARS OR I'M CLOSING THIS TOPIC!
You're all accountable for your own behaviour here!

Mine is from most disappointing to least(still plenty disappointing!). These are all imo

1. DmC: Devil may cry
Tried the demo. Can't believe how far it fell from what DMC was. From what I've heard and seen, everything I had a problem with in the demo exists in the final product. And wow are those cutscenes disgusting! Capcom, I am disappoint.

2. Final Fantasy XIII
Bought the game out of ignorance. I quite enjoyed Final Fantasies until then. 13 was a huge step back from what I liked with Final Fantasy, lacking in so many aspects I loved previously. I had some fun with it, but after awhile it started to slap me in the face with what it's lacking and what I had hoped it would be but wasn't.

3. Saint's Row 3
Bought the game expecting it to be a new Saint's Row 2. Boy was I wrong. It was repetitive, boring, linear, just... Awful. The humor was trying too hard, and it was just severely lacking in content versus SR2, plus monotonous suburban environments with no variety. SR2 had a freaking cave with a sea monster circling it! Why the heck do I own SR3? Oh, and SR4 seems to be more of the same s***. Pass.

4. Dynasty Warriors 7
I excused DW6 for what it did as it was the first attempt on a new engine. But dear lord, now EVERYONE is a clone? F*** that. Boring, repetitive, too "try-hard", too over the top. I have Sengoku Basara for over the top. Take your freaky buzzblade yoyos and metrosexual hairstyles outta my Dynasty Warriors! Was really disappointed. And DW8 is more of the same. Sigh.

5. Red Faction: Armageddon
Are you KIDDING ME!? What happened to the open world Mars-exploring? WTF? Another alien shooter? Whoopdee-f***ing-doo! No saving graces.

6. Warriors Orochi 3
It has its fair share of awesomeness, but it was a downgrade from WO2 and MOZ. All the current gen Warriors-games seem to be hollow shells of what they once were.

7. Devil May Cry 4
I enjoyed this game. But the amount of disappointment I have over the wasted potential and Capcom's ineptitude is just too severe for me NOT to be disappointed here. I still think it's an amazing game, just very disappointing in parts.

8. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm-games
For the first two games just spam block and you won't lose health. For the rest... Ugh. Not even going to mention the recycled movesets.

9. Assassin's Creed(s)
"Buy our game! Oh but [DLC this, DLC that, OH, and DLC those]!"
This is more a protest to the industry though. Boycotting AC3 due to this.

10. Darksiders 2
"A game made by gamers FOR gamers!" Yeeeaaaahhh--NO. DLC, DLC, DLC! Also pretty bland after one time. Even the first time started getting boring. Darksiders 1 had a promising start... I'm pretty glad THQ sold the rights. And from what I've heard I probably won't be purchasing any more titles of it ever again. Money saved.

Didn't include Bayonetta here. Amazing game, but ease off on those QTEs, please!
Anarchy Reigns disappointed me due to no offline co-op, but otherwise it seems like a fun game from the demo. Just no-buy from me due to the mentioned lack of co-op.
I have to mention Ratchet and Clank Future here as well. IDK but somehow the current gen R&C games have felt lacking in multiple parts. Some of them have nice additions, but sometimes they just feel like they haven't completely captured the R&C experience from the previous gen. Not top 10 material though.
These weren't as much of a disappointment as the other ones listed; Anarchy Reigns is on the fence though... I might replace AC or NUNS with it.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Freedom requires responsibility.
#2TheOriginalMax(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 2:18:36 PM(edited)
Your turn! :D

eDIT: NOES, forgot about another mention, but lacked room in the OP. Ninja Gaiden 3. That was just NOOOOO T_T
Not a fan of NG, though, so that's probably why I left it out unconsciously. Dunno.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
#3jubjub360Posted 4/28/2013 2:20:51 PM
>top 10 most disappointing games
>includes demos.

Lol wut
#4JurassicBondPosted 4/28/2013 2:22:36 PM
Grand Theft Auto IV
Uncharted 2
Mass Effect
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Final Fantasy XII
Ni No Kuni
The Amazing Spider-man
Fallout 3

I'll probably get some flak due to how popular some of those games are, but this gen it really seems that my tastes are diverging from what most people like.
---
Reading: A Dance With Dragons - George R. R. Martin
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg
#5cananyonehelpPosted 4/28/2013 2:24:21 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6OmegaFlare18Posted 4/28/2013 2:24:28 PM
there's always a bunch of these topics isn't there? "the most <whatever> this gen" and they usually just have a bunch of people saying popular games, say they're overrated and leave it at that
---
Steam ID: mystr_E
http://heroesofnewerth.com/ref.php?r=Z11U9T0Q
#7peter_888Posted 4/28/2013 2:43:00 PM(edited)
can't say I see eye to eye with you on DW7(especially with how you like DW6 more than it)

anyway

1. Dragon Age 2
- definition of lazy sequel

2. Fable 3
- nice ideas but horribly excuted, also suffer from the problems that fable 2 had

3. Fable 2
- a bit too dumb down for my tastes in terms of rpg elements, also WAY TOO EASY

4. Dynasty Warrior 6
- really short and the combat system is really bad, sure DW7 probably does have more clones, but at least you have a multitude of moveset to choose from unlike DW6 where you only got a few. And even then, they play the same way with how DW6 combat is set up.

... and that's all really. there are games that have disappointing elements to them. like ME3 and FC3 endings, but I usually do my research on the games that I play before buying them so I don't get disappointed much.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#8Yoshi__AranPosted 4/28/2013 2:27:21 PM
FFXIII
modern Resident Evil
modern Splinter Cell
Bioshock series
Ninja Gaiden 3
DmC
GTA IV
Tomb Raider Reboot
any Call of Duty
MGS4

mainly any of the highly overrated mainstream hyped games or when beloved classic series lose their identity.
#9TheOriginalMax(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 2:28:05 PM
jubjub360 posted...
>top 10 most disappointing games
>includes demos.

Lol wut

I'm glad you asked my fellow poster! :D
Sorry I should have mentioned this.

I should have most likely explained this in the title or change it completely, as my point is more due to the franchises each respective game represents and what standards each of the franchises enforce. As it is a topic about disappointment over a game(yes, I will concede that I shouldn't have written "games you have played", that was foolish of me) I think it's a mistake not to include games one is just disappointed over. I think I somehow cognitively tried to avert this dissonance by speaking of demos, my fault.

Unfortunately I can't change the topic title =/

But hey! :D
Both in the cases of hipster may cry and Anarchy Reigns, the demos are representative of the final product!

Lol, but you're right. I'm a dummy ^_^
---
#10A_Nonny_MoosePosted 4/28/2013 2:29:26 PM
Crackdown 2
Uncharted 3
DmC
Ninja Gaiden 3
R&C: ToD

That's about all I can think of at the moment.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png