This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Way to use that bluray space sony

#1tomcatobitricePosted 4/28/2013 4:55:08 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dead-island-riptide-face-off

90% of PS3 games are between 3gigs-7.7gigs

Thats pretty sad when you have over 50 gigs of space

Hell, even Skyrim took only 5gigs on 360(full install) and slightly more on PS3
---
MY CP(\__/)U is neural net processor, a learning computer.Cyberdyne systems Model 101....... A WAR machine Terminator looking(='.'=) for Sarah and John Connor.
#2IBringItPosted 4/28/2013 4:56:13 PM
Yea, I'm not touching this one.
---
http://tinyurl.com/7fl22md
PSN: IconGrist
#3Raven_CyarmPosted 4/28/2013 4:59:43 PM
IBringIt posted...
Yea, I'm not touching this one.

I will!

*touches topic*
---
If everyone likes a game and you're the only one who hates it, it's not overrated, you're just the black sheep.
#4GeassMasterPosted 4/28/2013 5:01:14 PM
I didn't know Sony made Dead Island riptide. Thanks.
---
Now Playing: FotNS: Ken's Rage 2,Battlefield 3(PC), Atelier Totori+ , Ninja Gaiden Sigma+, Drakengard,Sengoku Basara HD Collection
I Have A Huge Backlog.
#5Flare1721Posted 4/28/2013 5:02:33 PM
Do people read anymore?
---
Best Boss Battle Ever Xemnas- KH2, Long Live Mega Man Legends 3!
PSN: Strife1721
#6CrimsonGear80Posted 4/28/2013 5:03:06 PM
I will.

Sony doesn't make every PS3 game, smart guy. As a matter of fact, most games Sony does make do use up most of a Blu-ray disc.

Next Gen when devs don't have the DVD format dragging them down, expect most games to fill Blu-rays.
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#7Emi3280Posted 4/28/2013 5:10:30 PM
Well, MGS4 is 42 GB and it was made for PS3-exclusive. There you go.
---
PlayStation Network: DarkEmigaru98
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Emi3280
#8don_juan_darkoPosted 4/28/2013 5:12:07 PM
You have to be joking with this topic.

Multi-platform games are generally sized to fit on DVD as that's the current standard for 360 and PC. On top of that, because modern games look so good, there is really no use of FMV.

Aside from that, it almost sounds like you are complaining that games aren't unnecessarily bloated in size. I can think of some 3mb SNES games that have a lot more going for them than certain 20gb modern games.

With all the movement of digital downloads, don't expect those games to be going up in size, that's more reason for developers to keep them small.
#9HwoarangExpert1Posted 4/28/2013 5:14:13 PM
besides xbox's inferior media these day developers are always learning new ways to create software more efficiently which runs faster and takes up less space
---
PSN - Ziaro_7
#10cirkmetroidPosted 4/28/2013 5:15:06 PM
It might help if you educate yourself a little bit about the complexities of what you're talking about, it's not so simple.

First of all, the obvious reason is because of multi-platform games...the file size is NOT automatically the same, but they are comparable. The reason why the file sizes will differ a little bit is specifically BECAUSE the PS3 uses a blu-ray drive.

Hate to break it to you, but the blu-ray drive used in the PS3 is SLOWER at reading data than a DVD drive is, especially if data is on different sections of the disc. This is a CRUCIAL thing to understand, especially the knowledge that often times the same pieces of information of a game (resources) are placed in multiple places throughout the disc...this is specifically to address the issue of the console being able to access the data when it needs it, without an extended delay.

And yes, that is one of the big reasons why most PS3 games require some form of installation package nowadays, where the 360 does not. And before you say it, this *DOES* apply to even PS3 exclusives. There are a few that don't require loading data on to the hard drive, but believe me, it's not normal. (Don't forget that it is possible to have a 360 without a large size hard drive)

So let's ignore that entire wall of text, and ask, "What exactly takes up most of the space in a video game?" You'd be very surprised at the answer. "Graphics!" "CGI!" Well, specifically, the biggest culprit in increasing file size is AUDIO, especially if the audio is not compressed.

So let's look at one of the first games where people were foaming at the mouth due to the amount of data on the disc. Before the game came out, every one and their mother proclaimed...OMG IT'S GOING TO BE SO LONG AND AWESOME, IT WILL BE THE LORD OF THE RINGS OF GAMES! Yes, I'm talking about Metal Gear Solid 4.

What did that game have? Uncompressed audio, and TONS AND TONS of it. Seriously, the top 3 reasons why this game gets flamed is because people always say, "It's not a game you play, it's a movie you watch." I wouldn't go that far in saying it...but well, the game certainly did have a boat-load of cutscenes.

You know what else it had? Not just one, but SEVERAL mandatory installs, that you actually had to switch through the course of playing the game.

Seriously, I thought the game was pretty good...but if every PS3 game was like that...this system would have gone the way of the Dreamcast YEARS ago.

Now, let's look at another game series that has an inexplicably large file size. Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition. This game plays just fine on both ps3/360, even though on the 360 it's on a DVD of course. What is the download size on the PSN version? Something like 18 freaking gigabytes. Seriously...18? Why so much? The game has basically nothing for cutscenes, not much audio at all, and while it has some highly detailed character and backgrounds, the game is basically 2-D.

So there you have it, when it comes to games, size does NOT matter. But for the thing that matters to your girlfriend, it does. Just saying.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Really difficult games used to inspire us to become better at those games. Now...people just whine and complain. Such is the times.