This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I buy Final Fantasy XIII(13)???

#21z827Posted 4/29/2013 1:02:17 AM
If you're buying it and expect it to be a Final Fantasy game, nope.
If you're buying it out of the expectancy of it being a JRPG, then probably a yes.

... and the worst JRPG this gen is Last Rebellion.
---
Char Aznable : "A Mobile Suit's performance does not decide a battle's outcome!"
#22gjc2007Posted 4/29/2013 4:19:16 AM
I have written on this subject extensively elsewhere. This post is largely spoiler free if you're interested--2nd post in this thread: http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29904703/Why_people_are_against_the_new_final_fantasy_games.

Eh. The fact that you have to write something that long to justify the battle system should be proof enough that it isn't very good. Either way, it's nothing I didn't try out. I just seriously did not enjoy that battle system in the least.

The game does tell you almost everything you need to know--without needing the datalogs--if you're paying attention. That's why I said you wanted to either be good at catching details or prepared to read the datalog. I should perhaps mention that it drops you in media res and has flashbacks spaced throughout the first 11 chapters, so the story presentation is anything but linear; I know this style of storytelling is annoying to some.

I don't mind non-linear story telling. I'm perfectly fine with that (hell, one of my favorite movies ever is non-linear).

I'm still going to call BS on the game telling the player everything they need to know without the data logs though.

My issue is that it's just flat out terrible story telling. Working or having to dig a bit to pick up some of the finer details is one thing. Having a game bombard you with the same repeated idiosyncratic dialogue for 20 hours without ever really taking the time to say "that is what this is, and this is why we call it that" is a whole different thing, especially when that stuff plays such a (supposedly) big role in the game.

Hiding details is one thing. What FF13 does is a whole other thing.
---
Why used games don't hurt the industry and why content passes are bull****: http://umthumbs.gametrailers.com/users/noobiablos/gamepad/?
#23Wario_manPosted 4/29/2013 4:23:17 AM
No.
---
PH1R57 1'lL G37 73H 7R345Ur3, 4nD 7h3N 1'lL G37 JoO.
#24tiornysPosted 4/29/2013 4:28:32 AM
gjc2007 posted...
Eh. The fact that you have to write something that long to justify the battle system should be proof enough that it isn't very good. Either way, it's nothing I didn't try out. I just seriously did not enjoy that battle system in the least.

I don't need that much writing to justify the battle system. I need that much to explore the various reasons why people didn't get the battle system.

Out of curiosity: how many different team configurations did you try after chapter 10? How often did you change your paradigms, not counting the points where the game resets them?

Hiding details is one thing. What FF13 does is a whole other thing.

The story isn't something I'm passionate about, and I'm mostly working from other people's research when I talk about it, so I'll just agree to disagree here.
---
http://etrosgate.com/
#25MrSmadSmartAlexPosted 4/29/2013 4:38:46 AM
Wario_man posted...
No.
#26IamthekuzalolPosted 4/29/2013 4:52:31 AM
That's why i just ignored that tiornys user, being a fanatic that loves FF13 is one thing, just don't force your opinions down our throat, we have the rights to hate certain aspect about the game.
#274sakuraHa0Posted 4/29/2013 5:01:15 AM
Yes, it's pretty good. And it's cheap now.

I bought it for $20 and for that price it's pretty decent game.
---
If someone post "I don't care", they actually care VERY much.
If they DON'T care, they WON'T bother posting.
#28gjc2007Posted 4/29/2013 9:36:36 AM
I don't need that much writing to justify the battle system. I need that much to explore the various reasons why people didn't get the battle system.

Out of curiosity: how many different team configurations did you try after chapter 10? How often did you change your paradigms, not counting the points where the game resets them?

Bad wording on my part. I mean that more from the perspective of if Square Enix had said something like that.

I pretty thoroughly used the whole team and the different paradigms though.

I'm just not seeing the complexity and depth in that system.
---
Why used games don't hurt the industry and why content passes are bull****: http://umthumbs.gametrailers.com/users/noobiablos/gamepad/?
#29badboyPosted 4/29/2013 9:49:58 AM
It's really cheap now, so I say it's worth playing.
#30tiornysPosted 5/1/2013 11:16:47 PM
gjc2007 posted...
Bad wording on my part. I mean that more from the perspective of if Square Enix had said something like that.

I pretty thoroughly used the whole team and the different paradigms though.

I'm just not seeing the complexity and depth in that system.

You did better than a lot of people. I didn't claim complexity per se (I think the system has some complex interactions, but not necessarily at the level of many other games), but I definitely claimed depth. First, it's probably a good idea to make sure we're on the same page regarding "depth" as it applies to a game system. A deep system is a system that is not shallow, not readily apparent. It has things below the surface. It has things to discover that take time, familiarity, and/or skill to unearth.

So, when I say that FFXIII has strategic depth, I'm saying that there's a lot more to do, strategically, in FFXIII than most people realize. In part this perception of mine is driven by some very common complaints about FFXIII's battles. I'm sure you're familiar with this one: "you do the same thing every battle, stagger, kill." Hopefully in your experimentation you were able to move past that perception, and realize that trying to stagger the enemy is not only not always needed, but often actively detrimental to a battle plan.

A large part of it is my own experience. I've put somewhere in the vicinity of a thousand hours into the game at this point, and I'm still finding little tricks and useful quirks. My latest explorations have involved learning how to make better use of Summons (yes, they really are useful if you know what to do with them) and learning about the impact of weapon upgrading at various points in the game (yes, proper use of the upgrade system is a part of battle strategy).

The rest of it is my interactions with expert players. I've been working with a group of some very talented people on various FFXIII and FFXIII-2 related projects (see my sig), and in the process we've been pushing the battle systems into places that few people have conceived of, let alone explored.

Now, I'll freely admit that most of the strategy available in FFXIII is not needed to beat the game. You need more of it in order to platinum the game, but not that much more. It is not necessary to access the depths. But that hardly means they aren't there to be explored and enjoyed.

In your play, did you in fact get past the idea of trying to stagger everything? What tools did you use in place of staggering? Partial chaining? Buffs and debuffs? Heavy COM presence?

Did you ever attempt a strategy of staggering multiple things at once (not counting a preemptive strike)? If so, how many different ways did you find to execute such a strategy?

Do you understand the concepts of Cut and Keep (these hidden values determine whether or not one attack can interrupt/cancel another)? Did you ever use a strategy based partly or fully on constant disruption of the enemy?

How fast do you think someone can speed-run the game (real time single segment)? Would you believe under 7 hours? FFXIII speedruns are much more dependent on strategy than luck or glitches, especially compared with the speedruns of most games.

How fast do you think the major chapter 11 and 12 bosses (Dahaka, Barthandelus II, and both Proudclad fights) can be defeated without significant farming of any kind? Would you believe me if I said "under a minute"?

What's the lowest development at which you think the game's postgame content can be completed? Would you believe crystarium stage 9? Stage 8? Stage 8 without using upgrades or shrouds?

This is not everything I know, but it touches on a fair amount, and it hopefully does a good job of illustrating my points.
---
http://etrosgate.com/