This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Metaphorical game requiring thought =\= good game

#1digitalwill2000Posted 4/28/2013 10:40:31 PM
There will always be hopeless apologists but the ones defendig 'metaphorical' games from criticism under the guise that critics just 'didnt get it' without themselves giving any evidence to the 'deep thought' of the game(s) are beyond foolish. All these games claiming to like deep like Journey, Limbo or Braid clearly only do so without any real explanation to its narrative expecting people to fight over it and then the creators act as if they intended for "all those interpretations to be true". Leaving things up to the audience in a story is a lazy and cowardly way to explain a [plot] narrative.
Just because it exists doesnt mean its anything special. If they're gonna be deep then they better have some message or social commentary thats WORTH sharing.

e.g a joke:
"Why didnt the skeleton cross the road? Because it didnt have the guts"
You get the joke? Yes. Was it funny? No.

same thing.
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...
#2IChangedMyNamePosted 4/28/2013 11:41:19 PM
I actually kind of laughed at the example joke...

Guess that pretty much says where I stand doesn't it?
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#3reincarnator07Posted 4/29/2013 7:01:21 AM
I also quite enjoyed the joke.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#4kupo1705Posted 4/29/2013 7:04:21 AM
That was the funniest joke I've heard all year, well done.
#5A_Nonny_MoosePosted 4/29/2013 7:27:47 AM
Journey, Limbo, and Braid are all good games though. None of them were particularly deep or "metaphorical", except maybe Braid, but that side of it was so hamfisted that I never really thought about it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#6SoaringDivePosted 4/29/2013 7:31:34 AM(edited)
digitalwill2000 posted...
There will always be hopeless apologists but the ones defendig 'metaphorical' games from criticism under the guise that critics just 'didnt get it' without themselves giving any evidence to the 'deep thought' of the game(s) are beyond foolish. All these games claiming to like deep like Journey, Limbo or Braid clearly only do so without any real explanation to its narrative expecting people to fight over it and then the creators act as if they intended for "all those interpretations to be true". Leaving things up to the audience in a story is a lazy and cowardly way to explain a [plot] narrative.
Just because it exists doesnt mean its anything special. If they're gonna be deep then they better have some message or social commentary thats WORTH sharing.

e.g a joke:
"Why didnt the skeleton cross the road? Because it didnt have the guts"
You get the joke? Yes. Was it funny? No.

same thing.

So basically, something is good if it holds your hand through everything and doesn't leave anything up to interpretation? I completely agree, we need more games like Call of Duty in a sea of bad games like Journey and Sword and Sworcery.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#7este914Posted 4/29/2013 7:35:20 AM
haha. I hadn't heard that joke before actually. good one
---
--> [ *este914* ] <--
Myth, Man, Legend.
#8PhaseSlaethePosted 4/29/2013 7:36:07 AM
Casual game that holds your hand so much you can let go of the controller =/= good game.
#9BeefEasterPosted 4/29/2013 7:43:32 AM
TELL US SOME MORE JOKES TC!

l LOVE JOKES
#10glory of power metalPosted 4/29/2013 7:59:36 AM
Not everyone needs plot devices and narratives spoon fed to them. I find that when a plot is fully laid out on the table it usually ends up being less enthralling than I would've hoped and opens up possibilities of plot holes or events I just don't agree with. In games and movies as long as the overall plot remains coherent I don't mind if a lot of it is left to the imagination.

I mean really, in Limbo you're some little guy traversing a 2D landscape while some other guys try to kill you and eventually you find your girlfriend. Don't know about you, but that sounds awfully similar to a game called Super Mario Bros. to me. I don't think it would improve Limbo at all if I was reminded here and there that my girlfriend was in another castle.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | 650W | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher