This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it socially acceptable for grown-ups to like Japanese RPGs?

#101LightRukiaPosted 4/29/2013 7:13:57 PM
I would have to agree with this. Being a grown woman with a younger brother who shares a lot of the same interests I do, I can get away with a ton of crap that he instantly gets made fun of for. Which in some cases I think it's ridiculous. For some reason society is just that way. Men can't cry, must dress in bland clothes or they're flamboyant or a nerd, etc. etc.

I also think in most cases it depends on the source material. As much as I love pokemon, it's target audience is children. Point blank. It might have intensely deep game mechanics that has the potential to drive a graduate student insane, but there are plenty of of nine year olds out there that get it no problem. Kids aren't stupid when it comes to games. Half the time they play games way better than we can.

But liking JRPGs in general? Of course it's acceptable. Just because the art style is different doesn't mean they're all meant for kids or pedophiles. I could say the exact same thing for WRPGs, and it still doesn't make sense, so why worry?

Also, random note: I NEVER understood the My Little Pony fad. I'm sorry, bronies, you honestly do need a reality check. No person of either gender or sexuality should be enjoying that show if you're over the age of ten. Good bye.

I see guys all the time wearing something with Spongebob or something with Pikachu but I never see no one ever laughing at them. Around here though people seem to be very busy and move really fast to get to where need to be (on the road or in a store). So they really aren't caring if someone's shirt has a kid show character on it .

The male shirts over here aren't all bland though. In fact a lot their shirts have more designs and variety then the female shirts (the female shirts over here are very bland) and I'm not just talking about with famous cartoon characters.

As for MLP so you're saying that a 11 or 12 year old girl can't or shouldn't be liking the show? That doesn't really make any sense, you don't just stop liking something all the time just as soon as you turn a certain age. Also you have parents who watch it and do enjoy the show with their kids.

Furthermore unlike the previous MLP shows the new show's creator actually said she made the show geared more towards everyone as she hated the originals. So maybe you should do a little more research on the new show's history before you start forming those types of opinions. After all you said you never understood it, well when people don't understand something they try to study on it (if they can).
---
http://i.imgur.com/3pdnu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mH6dQ.gif
#102digitalwill2000Posted 4/29/2013 7:19:34 PM
TC, ANYONE can have bad taste, even adults.
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...
#103REMercsChampPosted 4/29/2013 7:23:22 PM
I'm 25 and I play JRPGs now and then, as well as some other genre of games. I do not keep this hidden to anyone as some great secret, nor is there any reason to. It has not had any impact in my social life in one way or another, except being a conversation item if I find someone with a similar interest. In moderation, something as benign as playing a game you enjoy should not be socially unacceptable.
---
Official Drug Lord of the Random Insanity cartel family
#104Lelouch71Posted 4/29/2013 7:53:28 PM
Is it socially acceptable for morons to be posting on the internet? Given how crappy gamefaqs can get I guess so. Thus you have your answer, TC.

Only children care about what's "socially acceptable" Us grown ups play what we like and don't care about what other people think.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#105Vegeta1000Posted 4/29/2013 7:58:03 PM
And yet, it's even worst when you're Black like me. I know people who would laugh at guys like me for playing Pokemon and other JRPGs. Like all we can play is sports and shooters like Call of Duty. It's kind of annoying because a lot of guys I know only play those type of games and don't play anything else. I'm not a casual gamer nor am I insecure. I can't stand most modern day shooters and I'm not big on sports games, but I love JRPGs. I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Tales, Star Ocean, Persona, and other JRPGs and I'm not afraid to be open about it either. Hell, one of my favorite animes of all-time is Sailor Moon.

Insecurity is what a lot of people have problems with, but not me. II play games because they're good and fun to play, not just to look cool. That's why I'd play Pokemon or Kirby over Call of Duty any day of the week. Not trying to hate on Call of Duty but, a lot of guys I know only like it in order to fit with the popular crowd. Same goes for other shooters like Halo (I actually like Halo) and sports games. Most guys I know only play online games like those. A lot of my friends are like me so they play JRPGs. You'd be quite surprised at how many people you think that don't play JRPGs do. I've been surprised quite a few times in the past before.

Bottom line is you like whatever you want to like. Plain and simple. Nobody should influence you to not like something no matter how embarrassing others might think it is.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#106Godly_GoofPosted 4/29/2013 8:18:04 PM
deprofundis442 posted...
Godly_Goof posted...

So you're comparing humans random social situations to pack mentality animals without seeing the irony in it?

No, you're not seeing the connection. Our everyday random social situations are a result of that advantageous behavioural trait, not the reason for it. A by-product if you will.

Godly_Goof posted...

thats sounds more like de-evolution to me :/
evolution would imply that people have transcended the need for social acceptance

The common misconception about evolution, is that it means better or stronger over time. It need only be a single advantageous trait that may or may not come with unfortunate baggage, (or you're incapable of imagining the relevance). Also, you're not extrapolating for time either. If those particular emotions are disadvantageous to us, you're not gonna see that change any time soon. The time when it was advantageous was a only thousands of years past, versus the millions it probably took to get to that point. Big difference.

Godly_Goof posted...

Why would I hide this? So I could be accepted by people I have nothing in common with for the sheer sake of being accepted even though its built on pretty much a lie?

You still don't get the point. I can get into a whole philosophical debate about how taste, even fringe, comes about, but try to get the point that you've given yourself a culture to be part of and belong to. You're part of a group that necessitates who you are. You care. Don't lie to yourself. Also try to leave a little room for the possibility that you have cognitive biases toward a particular image of yourself.

Unless, of course, you're dead panning, but that would make you psychotic.

So, needless conjecture is what your saying :/

Your trying really hard to draw a connection that just isn't there in the slightest from the looks of it. Not to mention the MAJOR hole of "being part of a culture" that's complete s***. Now more than ever since we live in a global society. Everyday we see people breaking away or redefining what "culture" is. To needlessly think people adhere to it is asinine. Not to mention we can see throughout history that outside cultural influence is beneficial, and that's FACTS not theoretical evolution BS. By using evolutionary theory you can make up whatever moronic BS you want to as long as you can draw the slightest correlation and thus why I lost faith in that whole ideology ages ago.

History is tangible and traceable. And it contradicts the s*** out of that theory. And extrapolating for time? How many millions of years have humans existed then and worked in a social structure? If anything its been TOO long for people to not move past such simple crap. Especially in the technological era where the bottomless pit of knowledge known as "The Internet" is a click away to remove unnecessary ignorance and prejudices.

"Evolutionary Theory" is just the s*** people tell themselves to hide how pointlessly self conscious they are and that they seem to care what random people think of them.

And the only bias I have towards myself is that "I'm me" that's who I am and that's what I am plain and simple. I don't need random peoples approval to be who I am nor should I give 2 s***s what they think.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#107Bearprint(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 5:37:21 AM
I recently changed my Facebook-background-picture into an anime-one that looks very cool. Can I still have that as a background-picture when I'm 40?

Great replies btw, and the ones from the girls saying that they have more elbow room when it comes to anime-shirts than us guys is very interesting.

Greetings from Bearprint, the TC from Denmark.
---
Snake and Cloud = Best Heros Ever
#108zinformantPosted 4/30/2013 5:54:57 AM
Anyone who thinks it is are disconnected from reality. Whether it's more westernized games like Xenoblade or more extremely Japanese ones like Neptunia, folks will make assumptions about you based on preconceived notions about your gaming taste. The prevailing belief is that Pokémon is for children. It's marketed towards them but certainly appeals to adults, too. Nonetheless, what is important is that folks think it shouldn't and will write someone off as childish if they advertise that they enjoy Pokémon. Follow? Some impression management is in order. For example, if you are having your boss and his wife over for supper, do not leave anime box sets or your Final Fantasy collection sitting out lest you run the risk of them thinking ill of you over it.

Folks assume that getting older means anything goes and that, since it isn't middle school, nobody cares what you do. That's inaccurate. Rather, as you get older, you become more aware of societal norms and learn to filter what interests you share with different people. Some won't care if you like Japanese video games. Others will.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#109deprofundis442Posted 4/30/2013 6:34:35 AM
If you say so GG. I've said all I need to say about it. I think you're in denial, but whatever you want to think and accept or reject is up to you.
---
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org
#110PhaseSlaethePosted 4/30/2013 6:43:22 AM
Lelouch71 posted...
Is it socially acceptable for morons to be posting on the internet? Given how crappy gamefaqs can get I guess so. Thus you have your answer, TC.

Only children care about what's "socially acceptable" Us grown ups play what we like and don't care about what other people think.

Doing what you enjoy doing without worrying about what others think is what makes someone "grown up".