This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it socially acceptable for grown-ups to like Japanese RPGs?

#91Caer_DeathPosted 4/29/2013 5:53:00 PM
kenff6 posted...
It's socially acceptable to like benign RPGs like say Dragon Quest....

But pedo games like Atelier? No.

Have you SEEN some of the girls in the DQ games?
---
The circle of life was founded by the god of America. Love it or leave it!
#92kenff6Posted 4/29/2013 6:32:50 PM
Caer_Death posted...
kenff6 posted...

Yes. There are some skanks but I don't remember seeing any little kids whoring around.

Sadly, kids are sexualized in other RPGs and a lot of people ignore the issue.
#93PoorCountryPosted 4/29/2013 6:35:49 PM
Depends on whether you're talking to people who listen to everything older generations say, or people who don't care.
#94Caer_DeathPosted 4/29/2013 6:46:48 PM
kenff6 posted...
Caer_Death posted...
kenff6 posted...

Yes. There are some skanks but I don't remember seeing any little kids whoring around.

Sadly, kids are sexualized in other RPGs and a lot of people ignore the issue.

Boy howdy dem puff puffs y'all!
---
The circle of life was founded by the god of America. Love it or leave it!
#95LamacePosted 4/29/2013 6:56:54 PM
What do I think? I think that with games like Xenogears, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Final Fantasy VI/XII/Tactics, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's/Dark Souls, Persona 3/4, Odin Sphere, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Folklore, and Ni No Kuni, I am proud to call myself a JRPG fan.

If it's socially unacceptable to like some of the best games ever made, then so be it.
#96Seifer_usPosted 4/29/2013 7:09:26 PM
While I personally don't feel you should have to hide your interests, human beings are very visual creatures, and as such a lot of people make judgements based on first impressions.

I think it boils down to how much you care about what other people think of you. I don't judge people based on what they wear, but for myself, unless I'm attending some kind of event, I tend to dress to fit my age and build in a way that I feel makes me look attractive and like I'm very "together". Maybe that's in part because of being married, and maybe partly because I live in Japan where people play their cards a lot closer to their chest in general, but I've generally tried to avoid drawing attention to my personal hobbies ever since high school because I've found that people are very quick to label you.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#97RuwalkPosted 4/29/2013 7:23:17 PM
StephieGamer posted...
Women can get away with it a lot more than men can.
A woman who wears anime or Hello Kitty shirts looks cute.
A man, especially those who wear My Little Pony shirts, look creepy.
I think men can get away with lots of different anime shirts, especially the Gundam type designs, but not something with little girls on it like Neptunia.
Most people would (wrongly) consider them pedophiles.

I would have to agree with this. Being a grown woman with a younger brother who shares a lot of the same interests I do, I can get away with a ton of crap that he instantly gets made fun of for. Which in some cases I think it's ridiculous. For some reason society is just that way. Men can't cry, must dress in bland clothes or they're flamboyant or a nerd, etc. etc.

I also think in most cases it depends on the source material. As much as I love pokemon, it's target audience is children. Point blank. It might have intensely deep game mechanics that has the potential to drive a graduate student insane, but there are plenty of of nine year olds out there that get it no problem. Kids aren't stupid when it comes to games. Half the time they play games way better than we can.

But liking JRPGs in general? Of course it's acceptable. Just because the art style is different doesn't mean they're all meant for kids or pedophiles. I could say the exact same thing for WRPGs, and it still doesn't make sense, so why worry?

Also, random note: I NEVER understood the My Little Pony fad. I'm sorry, bronies, you honestly do need a reality check. No person of either gender or sexuality should be enjoying that show if you're over the age of ten. Good bye.
#98Kit_SakurazukaPosted 4/29/2013 7:35:56 PM
I don't know about JRPGs specifically, but it's definitely not socially acceptable for me,as an adult female, to still claim gaming as a major interest.

Gamer guys think it's cool until you actually beat them at something, and non-gamer guys...well, I don't know why, but it seems to kill their interest. Other women think you're weird for it (but it's perfectly okay for them to waste hours a week playing Farmville and Angry Birds), and my mother still expects me to 'grow out of it' and pick up a proper female 'hobby' like collecting purses and uncomfortable shoes.

I expect it's similar for men my age, though maybe not quite as severe due to the double standard. I have a new empathy for little boys who want to play with dolls.
---
Sony/Yaoi fangirl | Original voices only! | PSN: Elthara
Playing: Tales of Graces F UNDUB, Soul Calibur V (Leixia), Hakuoki: DotFB, GoC: Pandora's Reflection.
#99zyrax2301Posted 4/29/2013 7:37:03 PM
This is one of the most amusing topic titles I've ever seen.

gg tc
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#100deprofundis442Posted 4/29/2013 8:06:18 PM
Godly_Goof posted...

So you're comparing humans random social situations to pack mentality animals without seeing the irony in it?

No, you're not seeing the connection. Our everyday random social situations are a result of that advantageous behavioural trait, not the reason for it. A by-product if you will.

Godly_Goof posted...

thats sounds more like de-evolution to me :/
evolution would imply that people have transcended the need for social acceptance

The common misconception about evolution, is that it means better or stronger over time. It need only be a single advantageous trait that may or may not come with unfortunate baggage, (or you're incapable of imagining the relevance). Also, you're not extrapolating for time either. If those particular emotions are disadvantageous to us, you're not gonna see that change any time soon. The time when it was advantageous was a only thousands of years past, versus the millions it probably took to get to that point. Big difference.

Godly_Goof posted...

Why would I hide this? So I could be accepted by people I have nothing in common with for the sheer sake of being accepted even though its built on pretty much a lie?

You still don't get the point. I can get into a whole philosophical debate about how taste, even fringe, comes about, but try to get the point that you've given yourself a culture to be part of and belong to. You're part of a group that necessitates who you are. You care. Don't lie to yourself. Also try to leave a little room for the possibility that you have cognitive biases toward a particular image of yourself.

Unless, of course, you're dead panning, but that would make you psychotic.
---
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org