This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stopped Reading Blu Ray Disc

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Stopped Reading Blu Ray Disc

User Info: WilliamCMinor

WilliamCMinor
3 years ago#1
Hello all,

My question is about possible fixes for this. I have read a lot of post both here and other sites, checked videos on youtube, etc.

It can be one of two problems: The lens is dirty and needs a lens cleaning disc ($14.00 at GameStop, $28.00 Best Buy) or the drive is failing. Given that its making an eject sound when I turn it on I am thinking its the failing drive.

I don't want to waste time or money so I am asking what users think here and possible cost asscoacted with replacing any Blu ray parts.

Thanks and hope to hear from you people who have been there.
Whatever it may bring I will live by my own policies
I will sleep with a clear conscience, I will sleep in peace.

User Info: Billy Trance

Billy Trance
3 years ago#2
sony blu ray lens always fail. you replace the blu ray lens and it will fail even faster. If you want to save most money and still want a ps3 that reads blu ray, get a new ps3.

User Info: 2nd_striker

2nd_striker
3 years ago#3
my laser failed after 4 years got a replacement and its still going strong
"SS7 is still putting 40+ goals in per season even if he does pretend that a tap in was a bicycle kick every now and then"

User Info: L0Z

L0Z
3 years ago#4
If its out of warranty ill fix it for the cost of the laser assembly $30 for slims $15 for phats and a beer or two
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
[IBM Tricore 3.2GHz | 10MB Custom ATI | 512 MB GDDR3]

User Info: Rafedx

Rafedx
3 years ago#5
WilliamCMinor posted...
Hello all,

My question is about possible fixes for this. I have read a lot of post both here and other sites, checked videos on youtube, etc.

It can be one of two problems: The lens is dirty and needs a lens cleaning disc ($14.00 at GameStop, $28.00 Best Buy) or the drive is failing. Given that its making an eject sound when I turn it on I am thinking its the failing drive.

I don't want to waste time or money so I am asking what users think here and possible cost asscoacted with replacing any Blu ray parts.

Thanks and hope to hear from you people who have been there.

I lost my old phatty 60gig with BC to the same issue, I can press the eject button, insert a disc but it will never read it or even try to spin. I didn't want to pay Sony $100+ to get it fixed, and I didn't want to wait so I bought one the following day.

I still have my 606gig as it runs digital content fine, the only reason I have not fixed it is because I hear the soldering joints in that model tend to crap out as well.
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Stopped Reading Blu Ray Disc

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived