This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stopped Reading Blu Ray Disc

#1WilliamCMinorPosted 4/29/2013 6:11:45 AM
Hello all,

My question is about possible fixes for this. I have read a lot of post both here and other sites, checked videos on youtube, etc.

It can be one of two problems: The lens is dirty and needs a lens cleaning disc ($14.00 at GameStop, $28.00 Best Buy) or the drive is failing. Given that its making an eject sound when I turn it on I am thinking its the failing drive.

I don't want to waste time or money so I am asking what users think here and possible cost asscoacted with replacing any Blu ray parts.

Thanks and hope to hear from you people who have been there.
---
Whatever it may bring I will live by my own policies
I will sleep with a clear conscience, I will sleep in peace.
#2Billy TrancePosted 4/29/2013 7:03:30 AM
sony blu ray lens always fail. you replace the blu ray lens and it will fail even faster. If you want to save most money and still want a ps3 that reads blu ray, get a new ps3.
#32nd_strikerPosted 4/29/2013 7:36:28 AM
my laser failed after 4 years got a replacement and its still going strong
---
"SS7 is still putting 40+ goals in per season even if he does pretend that a tap in was a bicycle kick every now and then"
#4L0ZPosted 4/29/2013 7:51:36 AM
If its out of warranty ill fix it for the cost of the laser assembly $30 for slims $15 for phats and a beer or two
---
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
[IBM Tricore 3.2GHz | 10MB Custom ATI | 512 MB GDDR3]
#5RafedxPosted 4/29/2013 7:59:42 AM
WilliamCMinor posted...
Hello all,

My question is about possible fixes for this. I have read a lot of post both here and other sites, checked videos on youtube, etc.

It can be one of two problems: The lens is dirty and needs a lens cleaning disc ($14.00 at GameStop, $28.00 Best Buy) or the drive is failing. Given that its making an eject sound when I turn it on I am thinking its the failing drive.

I don't want to waste time or money so I am asking what users think here and possible cost asscoacted with replacing any Blu ray parts.

Thanks and hope to hear from you people who have been there.

I lost my old phatty 60gig with BC to the same issue, I can press the eject button, insert a disc but it will never read it or even try to spin. I didn't want to pay Sony $100+ to get it fixed, and I didn't want to wait so I bought one the following day.

I still have my 606gig as it runs digital content fine, the only reason I have not fixed it is because I hear the soldering joints in that model tend to crap out as well.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.