This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

8 HOURS to backup 160GB??? RIDICULOUS Sony.

#41Chass1990Posted 5/1/2013 2:46:46 PM
Dirk_McHardpeck posted...
...I'm just here to name call people until someone tells me how to fold space and time so that my massive quantity of data that wasn't even possible 10 years ago backups at a rate equal to my unrealistic and ignorant expectation.

---
I shut my eyes in order to see
#42supercammando(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 11:36:13 PM
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
I have a 320 GB hard drive in my system and it told me it would take over ten hours to back up. That's when I gave up on the backup utility. It backs up the WHOLE system in case you want to restore it to that state later. Problem is, it won't restore everything to a different system, only unlocked game saves. Well the whole reason I want to back my system up is in case it dies (which has happened once already) so that I can restore everything on a different system.

Since the saves are the only thing I really care about, I just copy all my saves from the save folder onto an external hard drive. Takes 5 minutes and achieves exactly the same end result. If all you're concerned about are your game saves TC, I suggest you save yourself the headache and a LOT of time by doing it that way. If your system dies and you buy a new one you'll be able to copy all your saves to the new system. You'll have to redownload DLC and games that were on your old system but you'd have to do that anyway.

I'm more concerned about DLC. So DLC is not saved??? Sony blows.
---
Pay to play (after you've paid) = greed. Games without user profiles, stats and scoreboards = lazy producers, bad design choices.
#43kewldude475Posted 5/3/2013 11:39:12 PM
supercammando posted...
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
I have a 320 GB hard drive in my system and it told me it would take over ten hours to back up. That's when I gave up on the backup utility. It backs up the WHOLE system in case you want to restore it to that state later. Problem is, it won't restore everything to a different system, only unlocked game saves. Well the whole reason I want to back my system up is in case it dies (which has happened once already) so that I can restore everything on a different system.

Since the saves are the only thing I really care about, I just copy all my saves from the save folder onto an external hard drive. Takes 5 minutes and achieves exactly the same end result. If all you're concerned about are your game saves TC, I suggest you save yourself the headache and a LOT of time by doing it that way. If your system dies and you buy a new one you'll be able to copy all your saves to the new system. You'll have to redownload DLC and games that were on your old system but you'd have to do that anyway.

I'm more concerned about DLC. So DLC is not saved??? Sony blows.

Re-download dat.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZAQVsCU.gif
#44viajarvPosted 5/4/2013 4:03:56 AM
It takes forever to update the firmware, how are you not surpised by this?
#45jammiesPosted 5/4/2013 4:32:16 AM
Let's give the TC a break. He can't spell commando after all.

---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#46Mutant1988Posted 5/4/2013 5:06:25 AM(edited)
War_Fail posted...
Do you have any idea how slowly data moves through a USB 2.0 connection?

Maximum limit of 480Mb/s (60MB = Megabyte, per second), effective maximum throughput of 35 MB/s. According to wikipedia anyway.

160GB = 163840MB / 35 = 4681.14... Seconds / 60 = 78 minutes.

For it to take 8 hours the transfer rate would have to amount to only 5.6 MB/s.

163840 / 8 / 60 / 60 = 5.68...

That is pretty damn slow for USB 2.0. I don't think the HDD read/write speed is a bottleneck either, should be well over a 35 MB average for most HDDs.

Would overhead even be a factor on a PS3? I suppose the PS3 could do all sorts of things it isn't telling you, like encryption/decryption, optimizing file allocation (To prevent performance loss due to fragmentation), that sort of thing.

But yeah, one can never expect any kind of larger data transfer to be fast. When making backups, make sure that you have something else to do while it's working.

Edit: I recently backed up files on my PC, transferring about 200 GB between my PCs Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB (5400 RPM) to my backup Seagate Desktop 2TB (5900 RPM), which took 5-6 hours (Transferred a file right now, average rate seems to be about 10-12 MB/s).

So yeah, my theory is that the PS3 is doing something that consumes a lot of bandwidth.

---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#47RKO_ON_RAWPosted 5/4/2013 7:22:49 AM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
crazyman32 posted...
Dirk_McHardpeck posted...
I don't think you know what 160gbs is.

This.

And the PS3 isn't a computer.

---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/64275451 - Skyrim Level 81 Guide
#48Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 5/7/2013 1:06:12 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
This.

And the PS3 isn't a computer.

Actually yes it is. A computer is any electronic device for storing and processing data. Even a simple pocket calculator is a computer.
#49g_lethalPosted 5/7/2013 6:47:27 PM
did not know a ps3 was that slow, that explains its slow updates though

some of you people have some super slow pc's though, i just backed up 600 gigs the other day and it took me only an hour, 2 7200rpm barracudas though!

hopefully since the ps4 IS just a pc it'll be a quicker system in the end
---
DmC is a work of art and im not touching tomb raider 2013 again until new game+ is patched in