This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the best rpg battle system (Sony or not) and why?

#1NorkenPosted 4/30/2013 10:58:30 AM
I've had fun with many different systems but I often wonder which has the best.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
Romans 14:8
#2SoliquidusPosted 4/30/2013 11:01:27 AM
Final Fantasy XII. Gambits are just awesome. Many hated the Battle System in XII, but it is an absolutely beautiful one. It's pretty deep and again, Gambits are awesome
---
PS3 without Immersion lacks Rumble and PS3 without Rumble lacks Immersion. Finally Sony did the right thing
#3Evel138Posted 4/30/2013 11:04:45 AM
All of them.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Mad Moxxi
http://fav.me/d5g9oo0
#4TerotrousPosted 4/30/2013 11:17:45 AM(edited)
It's probably pretty much impossible to break this down further than turn-based, Action-based, Strategy-based.

For turn-based, I would lean towards Pokemon. It's very simple, but has ludicrous amounts of depth, the number of possible team combinations is virtually infinite and unlike many other games there's thousands of viable choices and strategies. This game has one of the most thriving competitive scenes in any game and it's solely a measure of how well-thought out the battle system is.

For action-based I would probably go with Tales, particularly the newest Tales games. Innocence R and Hearts R strike an excellent balance in terms of making you feel like a badass without giving the enemies no chance whatsoever, it's much harder to keep long combos going in these games compared to past Tales and that makes it much more satisfying when you pull it off. Graces F also has a pretty great battle system that does a good job of keeping things strategic without the use of an "MP" system, and it also has co-operative multiplayer that is really fun.

Strategy-based is harder, nothing immediately jumps out at me here. Certainly, there's been many good SRPGs, but nothing seems to stand out ahead of the pack to a great degree. FF Tactics and SMT Devil Survivor have the customization, but lack balance, while something like Fire Emblem is basically the reverse. A game like Front Mission ostensibly offers both, but aspects of the game are still a little clunky, like powering up your pilots. Wild Arms XF was an interesting experiment that succeeded in creating a very strategic FF Tactics variant and might take the top spot if the late game balance was a little better. I feel there's still room for a game to build upon some of these systems and establish itself as the best.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#5ARMs7777Posted 4/30/2013 11:13:57 AM(edited)
Theirs a few systems i really like.

FF's ATB system.
Wild ARMs 4 and 5 Hex System
Star Ocean 3's system was smart and well done (I normally dont love the tales and star ocean system but they are ok)
Atelier Ayesha's system is IMO good but the dev's ignore combat for that game and made it thier last priority.

There are many systems i enjoyed but those are the one i can think of off the top of my head as best systems.
#6Norken(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 11:13:15 AM
Evel138 posted...
All of them.

Really?
---
#7DemiFistPosted 4/30/2013 11:14:56 AM
Vagrant Story.
No other game has one similar other than Fallout's V.A.T. system.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#8PHEEliNUXPosted 4/30/2013 11:18:46 AM
Terotrous posted...
It's probably pretty much impossible to break this down further than turn-based, Action-based, Strategy-based.

For turn-based, I would lean towards Pokemon. It's very simple, but has ludicrous amounts of depth, the number of possible team combinations is virtually infinite and unlike many other games there's thousands of viable choices and strategies. This game has one of the most thriving competitive scenes in any game and it's solely a measure of how well-thought out the battle system is.

For action-based I would probably go with Tales, particularly the newest Tales games. Innocence R and Hearts R strike an excellent balance in terms of making you feel like a badass without giving the enemies no chance whatsoever, it's much harder to keep long combos going in these games compared to past Tales and that makes it much more satisfying when you pull it off. Graces F also has a pretty great battle system that does a good job of keeping things strategic without the use of an "MP" system, and it also has co-operative multiplayer that is really fun.

Strategy-based is harder, nothing immediately jumps out at me here. Certainly, there's been many good SRPGs, but nothing seems to stand out ahead of the pack to a great degree. FF Tactics and SMT Devil Survivor have the customization, but lack balance, while something like Fire Emblem is basically the reverse. A game like Front Mission ostensibly offers both, but aspects of the game are still a little clunky, like powering up your pilots. Wild Arms XF was an interesting experiment that succeeded in creating a very strategic FF Tactics variant and might take the top spot if the late game balance was a little better. I feel there's still room for a game to jump out ahead of the pack here.

I agree with Turn Based

For Action i would have to go with Xenoblade, I know, It is the worst part of Xenoblade, But i liked it, It was a nice change

For SRPG, Both Disgaea and FE are awesome, I can't decide on which one have better gameplay
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#9Mass_CarrierPosted 4/30/2013 11:20:45 AM
Legend of Dragoon's Addition system will always hold a special place in my heart.

Otherwise there's Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy 13 (the only FF where I consider the fighting to be actually enjoyable).

Suikoden gets points for unite attacks and more importantly, the option to "auto."
---
Don't just post youtube links. Say what the **** they are.
http://i.imgur.com/WaN8M.png
#10Norken(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 11:23:22 AM
Mass_Carrier posted...
Legend of Dragoon's Addition system will always hold a special place in my heart.

Otherwise there's Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy 13 (the only FF where I consider the fighting to be actually enjoyable).

Suikoden gets points for unite attacks and more importantly, the option to "auto."

I never got around to play Vagrant Story can someone explain the battle system?

I heard you have to level up weapons for certain monsters and target specific body parts, is that true?

Legend of Dragoon additions were fun.
---