This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the best rpg battle system (Sony or not) and why?

#21PHEEliNUXPosted 4/30/2013 11:44:53 AM
Terotrous posted...
PHEEliNUX posted...
For Action i would have to go with Xenoblade, I know, It is the worst part of Xenoblade, But i liked it, It was a nice change

Xenoblade's battle system is very good, but not for its action elements. It's good because it has a ton of customization without being overbearing and team construction is pretty deep. As far as its actual combat is concerned, you can't really dodge attacks and you don't have to aim, so it doesn't have nearly the same intensity as something like Tales or even modern Phantasy Star, and I feel this is required to be the best action-RPG.

Xenoblade is near the top of "turn-based" (or perhaps I should say "traditional") RPG battle systems, but unfortunately it's almost impossible to beat Pokemon there.

For SRPG, Both Disgaea and FE are awesome, I can't decide on which one have better gameplay

I actually feel Disgaea's battle system is pretty bad, at least in terms of Strategy. I enjoy the games, but who wins any given battle is solely a matter of whose stats are higher. It's really never about what tactics you use, if you can't win a battle the answer is always to level up more. For this reason I do not believe it can be considered the best Strategy RPG because the actual amount of Strategy involved is very minimal.

I'm willing to give more consideration to Fire Emblem but I've always felt it's just a touch too simplistic. Most battles simply revolve around having a tough unit hold choke points while ranged units snipe from behind them, the game doesn't really have enough depth to force the use of more complicated strategies. I also hate random level ups, those really need to go. High levels of random fluctuation are something that should be avoided in strategy games as they make the game more about luck than tactics.

The Tales battle system grew old and boring on me, I prefer older ones like Symphonia, Eternia or Destiny:DC

And i like Disgaea because that it actually makes grinding fun, But i don't like how you have to EXTREMELY grind
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#22Norken(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 11:53:46 AM
HolyMcmoly posted...
Norken posted...
HolyMcmoly posted...
Dragon Age: Origins is the most fun, imo. It plays like an action game, but not too much like it did in DA2. I like that it isn't turn-based(the worst kind of battle system in a RPG), and that I can control any of my teammates at any time, if I need to.

Just a curious question, why is turn based (Final Fantasy, Pokemon) the worst?

It gets boring very quickly. It's too repetitive, and I'd like to be at full attention when I'm fighting something. If I'm facing off against something that looks like it could mess me up, I want to feel like I could die at any second; a sense of danger. When the enemy is essentially waiting his turn, I don't really get that feeling.

That makes sense. Thank you for your info. Most people just bash without reason.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
Romans 14:8
#23DragoonGriffithPosted 4/30/2013 12:02:27 PM
Tales of Rebirth or any modern Ys game as far as ARPGs go.

Shadow Hearts 2 and Nocturne for turn-based
---
DQ: VII > V > VI > VIII = IX > III > IV > I > II
#24ZuuFPosted 4/30/2013 12:03:47 PM
The greatest turn-based strategy battle system, in my OPINION (not fact), is one from a game that's not quite an RPG, but has some light RPG elements...in this case, Battle: Prince of Persia for the Nintendo DS. If you haven't played it and have a DS, you can by it for fairly cheap (just a couple of dollars). The only downside, is that you NEED to use the multiplayer function to unlock everything, unless you get VERY lucky with the single-player missions.
---
My words are immortal, and my wisdom, ageless.
#25SightoPosted 4/30/2013 12:03:57 PM
I liked that Final Fantasy XIII's battle system built on the past games and focused on timing and quick thinking. The AI party members really helped immerse myself in the game. I was a member of the party -- not some invisible overlord controlling everyone's actions. The battle system really made you think, but obviously it wasn't for everyone.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#26chrcolPosted 4/30/2013 12:04:03 PM
I like turn based but it becomes a let down when they combine QTE's with it. I am buing a strategy RPG why the f*** do I want a reaction based mechanic on it? I initially hated SO4 style RPG but grown to like that as well. However SO4 style RPG has a lot of reliance on good AI mechanics.
#27IdTheDestroyerPosted 4/30/2013 12:25:10 PM
I love turn based battles above all else. Really liked FFX-2's battle system.
---
XBL:IdTheDestroyer8 PSN:IdTheDestroyer
#28randomgeneratorPosted 4/30/2013 12:32:20 PM
Valkyrie Profile Silmeria.

It's a very thoughtful, innovative and creative hybrid of different systems and works beautifully. Unusually, it has the potential to be able to please both those who prefer turn based (like me) and real time.
---
Good Job SE!! You do well good at making things! - marko7
#29TerotrousPosted 4/30/2013 12:33:25 PM
HolyMcmoly posted...
Norken posted...
Just a curious question, why is turn based (Final Fantasy, Pokemon) the worst?

It gets boring very quickly. It's too repetitive, and I'd like to be at full attention when I'm fighting something. If I'm facing off against something that looks like it could mess me up, I want to feel like I could die at any second; a sense of danger. When the enemy is essentially waiting his turn, I don't really get that feeling.

In a good turn-based game, you should get the feeling that you need to choose your move carefully, because if you choose wrong you could lose. If your choice in every situation is obvious, then the game will get dull.

This is one of the reasons Pokemon is so good. Let's suppose I have Charizard in against the enemy's Venusaur. For those who haven't played Pokemon in a long time, Charizard is a Fire type, and Fire beats Venusaur's Grass, so using something like Flare Blitz (a fire attack) is the "obvious" choice. However, the opponent ALSO knows this, so rather than just staying in there, they could choose to switch Venusaur with something else, perhaps a Ninetails, who will take absolutely no damage from this attack.

But if I'm also equipped with Earthquake and Belly Drum, I have other options. I could opt to EQ, on the hopes that they switch to something that resists fire but is weak to ground (like Ninetails), or alternatively, I could do Belly Drum and try to nuke whatever they bring in, but this is only a good choice if it's slower than Charizard (which Ninetails is not), otherwise I face the risk of being killed in one hit by whatever they bring in. So you have to carefully consider everything you know about your opponent and their options and think a lot about what move you choose.

PHEEliNUX posted...
The Tales battle system grew old and boring on me, I prefer older ones like Symphonia, Eternia or Destiny:DC

Symphonia's battle engine can't hold a candle to something like Innocence R, you really owe it to yourself to try a modern Tales and see just how far the series has come. Even slightly more modern 3D Tales games like Abyss, RM3, and Vesperia are way ahead of Symphonia. Symphonia had a good story and was a good first step at bringing the battle engine to 3D, but it's come a long way since then.

For Eternia, you can make a similar argument, but using Rebirth or ToDDC instead. Good for its time, laid the groundwork, we've come a long way.

And i like Disgaea because that it actually makes grinding fun, But i don't like how you have to EXTREMELY grind

I do agree with this however. I wouldn't play those games if going through item world and such wasn't kinda fun. However, I feel they could use better pacing. Most disgaea games don't require you to grind at all for the main game, and then for the postgame you suddenly have to grind like a monster to get anywhere. It should just require you to have to grind just a little bit every now and then to keep up.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#30beezer08Posted 4/30/2013 12:34:17 PM
Valkyria Chronicles
---
PSN/Steam: beezer08
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/863332/tebowed_medium.gif