This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is turn based RPG combat dated? unlike Star Ocean 4?

#1NCPwnPosted 4/30/2013 4:36:34 PM
Star Ocean 4 is just so refreshing and fun, whilst going back and replaying Final Fantasy VI (3), has been very dated. I feel like it's a bad system, and everyone should move to the more action paced combat. Tales is almost there, but Star Ocean 4 and combos are just really run.

So you agree? I mean if you had a choice to play either PS3 game would you play Star Ocean4 or FF13?
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#2RetroFanGirlPosted 4/30/2013 4:39:05 PM
Turn based is good when it still requires thought to play. This excludes many jrpgs though.
---
Hi.
#3NCPwn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 4:41:01 PM
RetroFanGirl posted...
Turn based is good when it still requires thought to play. This excludes many jrpgs though.

I think Turn Based Strategy games like Rainbow Moon and Final Fantasy Tactics live forever and are great, but replaying old FF games its been rather dull.

Mostly slaming X or what ever button attacks and every once and a while you cast a heal or some spell. Boss fights are slightly more hard, but if you are every stuck, just grind and the next battle becomes easy, and it's not really hard to know when to heal or when to use an item to remove an aliment.
---
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#4mogar002Posted 4/30/2013 4:41:19 PM
SO4 combat is dated compared to 2 and 3.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i.imgur.com/gcqrYXl.jpg
#5ShineboxerPosted 4/30/2013 4:41:52 PM
it's been dated and boring since the mid 80's.

Were you just born?
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#6NCPwn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 4:43:31 PM
Shineboxer posted...
it's been dated and boring since the mid 80's.

Were you just born?

Been playing since the NES days, but not until last year did I realize this. Not sure why it took me so long? but after discovering SO and Tales just 2 years ago, I realized how bad FF games kinda were. Not bad, but just stale.

That said, I tried SO 1,2,3 and they were all terrible in my opinion.
---
#7badboyPosted 4/30/2013 4:43:36 PM
Ni no Kuni did a great job mixing turn-based with real-time mechanics.
#8NCPwn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 4:44:39 PM
badboy posted...
Ni no Kuni did a great job mixing turn-based with real-time mechanics.

Was excited about it, but it felt very pokemonish from the trailers. AND i did not care for the art style at all.
---
#9kel25Posted 4/30/2013 4:45:50 PM
Completely disagree. Action RPGs just let you control one character at a time. With Turn based combat systems you can control the entire party, which is much more enjoyable to me.

Lets be perfectly honest, most combat systems in RPGs are often little more than mashing the same attack button over and over again with an occasional menu for a spell or item. This causes many action RPGs to feel tedious to me simply because I prefer the more relaxed feel of turn based games.
#10majin nemesisPosted 4/30/2013 4:48:40 PM
it's not dated and it's still fun also action RPGs are not that young either
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage