This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

to people who believe used games are bad

#1Anarchy612Posted 5/1/2013 2:26:33 AM(edited)
Have you ever lent/sold/given away anything you own?
Have you ever borrowed/recieved /bought anything that you didn't pay full price for?

If you answered yes to either of these then you are nothing more than a hypocrite.

Just about every industry (from clothing, DVDs, CDs, etc. to cars and houses) has a used sales market and video games is no exception .

Video game developers/publishers are not special. They are simply greedy.

Devs do not go out of business because people buy used games...they go out of business because they either make bad games or bad decisions.

EDIT: also let me ask you this. What do you do with your games when you are done with them or decide you don't like them? Do you throw them in the trash?

Also do you subscribe to gamefly?
---
Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything.-Adroc Thurston
PSN: Anarchy612
#2Evel138Posted 5/1/2013 2:33:14 AM
I don't think used games are bad. I DO think that Gamestop turning it into an multi million dollar industry in and of itself, siphoning off resources that could actual go to, oh I don't know.... producing something is bad.

In this world there are only two camps of people......the makers and the takers. I very unapologeticly give the takers the middle finger.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Mad Moxxi
http://fav.me/d5g9oo0
#3KaliestoPosted 5/1/2013 2:35:39 AM
Isn't it usually the middle man that screws over companies?
---
"GameFAQs is a giant MMO text adventure." - Clarifinatious
"I've beat it twice." - TheLichLord
#4blablablax17Posted 5/1/2013 2:36:55 AM
Isn't it usually the middle man that screws over companies?

gamestop is the middle man
---
Stalking the GameFaqs boards since '06.
#5Anarchy612(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 2:37:42 AM
Evel138 posted...
I don't think used games are bad. I DO think that Gamestop turning it into an multi million dollar industry in and of itself, siphoning off resources that could actual go to, oh I don't know.... producing something is bad.

In this world there are only two camps of people......the makers and the takers. I very unapologeticly give the takers the middle finger.

A fair response. I have no issues with disliking a particular store, or even people who personally won't support the used game market.

I do, however take issue with the people who would have you believe that devs go out of business all because of that used game some people bought.
---
Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything.-Adroc Thurston
PSN: Anarchy612
#6kingofall214Posted 5/1/2013 2:39:08 AM
Anarchy612 posted...
Have you ever borrowed/recieved /bought anything that you didn't pay full price for?

If you answered yes to either of these then you are nothing more than a hypocrite.

Just about every industry (from clothing, DVDs, CDs, etc. to cars and houses) has a used sales market and video games is no exception .

Devs do not go out of business because people buy used games...they go out of business because they either make bad games or bad decisions.

EDIT: also let me ask you this. What do you do with your games when you are done with them or decide you don't like them? Do you throw them in the trash?

DVD's and CD's are becoming obsolete do to itunes/netflix/hule etc. Fewer people are buying new so there is even less people buying used.

Everything else has risks and degrades over time. Video games can last forever with zero costs for upkeep.

Giving a game to a friend isn't making a retail outlet rich from devs hard work.

No I don't use gamefly. I use PS+ which sony pays publishers/devs to put on there.

I keep them and play them when there is nothing that interests me out at the moment. It's great for January to September as not many good games come out during this period.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#7kingofall214Posted 5/1/2013 2:41:25 AM
Anarchy612 posted...
Evel138 posted...

A fair response. I have no issues with disliking a particular store, or even people who personally won't support the used game market.

I do, however take issue with the people who would have you believe that devs go out of business all because of that used game some people bought.

It's obviously not the sole reason but you can't say it's not a factor.
---
#8Godly_GoofPosted 5/1/2013 2:43:23 AM
kingofall214 posted...
Anarchy612 posted...

DVD's and CD's are becoming obsolete do to itunes/netflix/hule etc. Fewer people are buying new so there is even less people buying used.

Everything else has risks and degrades over time. Video games can last forever with zero costs for upkeep.

Giving a game to a friend isn't making a retail outlet rich from devs hard work.

No I don't use gamefly. I use PS+ which sony pays publishers/devs to put on there.

I keep them and play them when there is nothing that interests me out at the moment. It's great for January to September as not many good games come out during this period.

Lol. You think people actually use iTunes, that's adorable. People would sooner just download it for free at that point lol. They're far more likely to buy it physical rather than digital at that point.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#9Evel138Posted 5/1/2013 2:51:54 AM(edited)
Anarchy612 posted...
Evel138 posted...

The one saving grace and the one point I'll ever concede to is that there is a segment.....a segment mind you (as there is just another segment that makes used their every purchase), that uses the trade-in value to buy new games.

Ultimately however, it can't be denied that developers are losing money to the behemoth machine Gamestop has become. Its not fair to them....that actually produce something.....and its detrimental to all involved imho.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Mad Moxxi
http://fav.me/d5g9oo0
#10kingofall214Posted 5/1/2013 2:49:36 AM
Godly_Goof posted...
kingofall214 posted...
Anarchy612 posted...

Lol. You think people actually use iTunes, that's adorable. People would sooner just download it for free at that point lol. They're far more likely to buy it physical rather than digital at that point.

Well I am talking about what makes creators money but you are right. The majority of songs are pirated. It's a good thing artist make the most money from concerts and movies make most of there money in theatres. Video games have ? to fall back on? Nothing.
---