This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PSN games that were PS1 titles, but originally SNES games, and their file sizes

#1cirkmetroidPosted 5/1/2013 1:55:35 PM
I'll use Final Fantasy VI (originally known to US players as Final Fantasy 3, ya know...the one with Kefka) as an example.

I recently considered buying this on PSN, it's on sale for $9.99. I mean, is the game worth $10? Yeah, I think it is, since it's such a great game. However, if I had not already played it in the past, and didn't already know that, I certainly would think carefully about spending $10 on a game that was as old as this is. Some old games are fantastic, many are not even worth playing any more.

So I didn't buy the game, but I noticed it was a 130MB download on PSN.

I thought to myself, "130MB?" WTF? My entire directory of SNES roms is only 600MB, and barring some games I knew I would NEVER play, I am fairly confident it has close to every SNES game ever released in North America.

So naturally I looked at the file size of the FF3 rom itself, of course it's not even 2MB. Not surprising to me, but it is funny when you think about it.

Now, I'm fully aware that the PSN download is actually taken from the PS1 game, known by its correct designation of Final Fantasy VI...but what is baffling me, is why is the file size so much larger?

Personally, even though my computer is not in the living room where my TV is, as my signature will attest, I'm very familiar with the many great options that SNES emulators have of increasing the graphical quality of sprite based games, at absolutely no loss to the quality of how the game plays.

While I've certainly played a few PSN downloaded PS1 original titles that were my favorites back in the day, such as Symphony of the Night and FF7, it doesn't take much to recognize that the upscaling options available on the PS3 are really quite paltry.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH graphics don't make a game fun...well, seriously, if it is the exact same game, better graphics really do make the game more enjoyable, and it just so happens that sprite based games such as SNES happen to be rather simple for programs to be able to tweak.

It's such a big difference that I'm seriously thinking about either moving the PC into the living room, or getting a really long video cable. (for console style games on my PC I use a PS3 controller over bluetooth, that does work from my bedroom to the living room so that's not an issue)

Is it possible many of the PSN games have artificially bumped up the file size just to make people think the game is more robust than it is? Is there some REAL reason?

Note, I am not talking in GENERAL, obviously an SNES title that never went to PS1 such as Super Mario World is going to have a much smaller file size than a PS1 game such as Crash Bandicoot, I'm talking about games that were on PS1, but were originally on SNES.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
It's funny to me how SNES emulators can make SNES games look better than modern 2d games (and even some 3d ones)...and are usually more fun.
#2JurassicBondPosted 5/1/2013 2:04:42 PM
FFVI did have CGI movies added. That's probably a large chunk of the extra file space right there.
---
Reading: Maskerade - Terry Pratchett
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg
#3BeknessPosted 5/1/2013 2:08:44 PM
I am fairly confident it has close to every SNES game ever released in North America.

http://imgur.com/a/AQp5R

Like this guy? Who sold all 721 SNES games?
---
<3BennyBear
#4cirkmetroid(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 2:11:49 PM
Bekness posted...
I am fairly confident it has close to every SNES game ever released in North America.

http://imgur.com/a/AQp5R

Like this guy? Who sold all 721 SNES games?

Well, no, these are rom files, not carts. I still have carts of about, uhm, 6 of my favorite SNES games, ya know, the ones I never could part with.
---
It's funny to me how SNES emulators can make SNES games look better than modern 2d games (and even some 3d ones)...and are usually more fun.
#5MINION9009Posted 5/1/2013 2:13:52 PM
You also get the increased size when they redo the music tracks from snes to ps1 and they probably redid the textures to.
---
MINION9000 : GT AND PSN
#6cirkmetroid(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 2:20:54 PM
MINION9009 posted...
You also get the increased size when they redo the music tracks from snes to ps1 and they probably redid the textures to.

Redoing the "textures" would really have no effect at all in the game, especially since this game doesn't have textures, its sprite based.

If it has independent music tracks, instead of whatever way audio was stored on SNES games, that easily explains it. I'm sure they are the exact same songs/sounds, just present in the game as a native sound file, instead of the method that SNES games stored audio.

Seems like I really have little reason to purchase the PSN version. I have an original cart (although I don't currently have a working SNES controller) but playing on a ROM is easily better.
---
#7neo979Posted 5/1/2013 2:21:37 PM
It's laughable to suggest that they bloated the file size to try to impress you. You know they have to pay for their bandwidth, right?

PS1 is a more technically advanced system than the SNES. Obviously the graphics, audio, and everything else are going to be more sophisticated. And obviously the developers are going to take advantage of the fact that they have more space available - a CD-ROM can hold way more than an SNES cartridge ever could.

Also, the copyrights on SNES games are still valid. Going online to say you have hundreds of ROMs is not a great idea.
#8kylemcauliffe15Posted 5/1/2013 2:24:04 PM
cirkmetroid posted...
Some old games are fantastic, many are not even worth playing any more.

Just because they're "old?"
---
PSN: Gasshu-kun
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents. - Salvador Dali
#9cirkmetroid(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 2:31:02 PM
neo979 posted...
It's laughable to suggest that they bloated the file size to try to impress you. You know they have to pay for their bandwidth, right?

PS1 is a more technically advanced system than the SNES. Obviously the graphics, audio, and everything else are going to be more sophisticated. And obviously the developers are going to take advantage of the fact that they have more space available - a CD-ROM can hold way more than an SNES cartridge ever could.

Also, the copyrights on SNES games are still valid. Going online to say you have hundreds of ROMs is not a great idea.

Wow, you clearly didn't even read my post. I did not say, "Why are PS1 games so much larger in file size than SNES games", I said "Why is this game that was originally on SNES and then later on PS1 so much larger in file size"
---
#10CaitPosted 5/4/2013 8:57:45 AM
There is a pretty good answer for that already. You see when they rip game roms, they don't get everything. The Roms are actually much bigger than the ones you download, and plus, sometimes a game developer added things when it re-released games like FF6. So when you compare them, the number doesn't add up, and that's why. The creator of BSNES discovered that, and my brother reads up on lots of different things. So the information is out there if you only look or know the right places.
---
Thanks to my dislike of Final Fantasy XIII, I looked back on ALL Final Fantasy games and now which one I like for what reason. Angry blame XIII.