This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

underrated RPGs and open world games?

#1jimihendrixfrkPosted 5/1/2013 4:36:54 PM
So I've been trusting reviewers less and less over the years, but recently after playing a few games that were rated decent or average I'm now second guessing every game I've avoided that got a bad rating. Here are some examples of average/badish games that I either enjoyed or really enjoyed:

Nier (story)
Kingdoms of Amalur (love almost everything)
White Knight Chronicles (most similar game to FFXII)
Just Cause 2 (excellent open world game)
Red Faction Guerrilla (great destruction)
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (not quite open world, but underrated gem)

I did somewhat enjoy Star Ocean 4, though the lack of total AI control ruined any difficulty above normal for me. I did rent Resonance of Fate, but did get tired of it eventually.

I'm kind of curious about Tales' games, Two Worlds 1 or 2 (kind of looked like KoA maybe??), and The Saboteur. Feel free to add any other info about average games that were good. Any details about what the game has or does well would be much appreciated.

Fyi, the main things I love about RPG s are exploration, several types of "activities" (weapon crafting, alchemy, etc), and either lore or a good story with good characters.
---
I can't write coherent sentences, so I use pictures. - MourningReigns
#2Paragon-57Posted 5/1/2013 4:39:20 PM
Mercenaries 2 got average to below-average reviews, but I had a blast with the game.

As for underrate RPG, for SRPGs - I'll through Valkyria Chronicles out there again. Enjoyed it.
---
P a r a g o n - 5 7 was here!
Happy Gaming!
#3gtaking5Posted 5/1/2013 4:44:59 PM
Get the Saboteur if you can find it. Very amazing and under rated game. Two Worlds 2, though. I don't know. The game is fun. But controls like a drunken dolphin.

Also get Tales of Graces f, and Tales of Xillia when it comes out in August. If you had any sort of positive feelings from SO4, you will probably love the Tales games.
---
Do you wanna play a game of Twister
Like a dirty old man with a babysitter
#4jimihendrixfrk(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 4:50:02 PM
gtaking5 posted...

Also get Tales of Graces f, and Tales of Xillia when it comes out in August. If you had any sort of positive feelings from SO4, you will probably love the Tales games.

Is the game easier than SO4 or at least have better AI control?

How is the exploration in Two Worlds 2?
---
I can't write coherent sentences, so I use pictures. - MourningReigns
#5gtaking5Posted 5/1/2013 4:56:28 PM(edited)
gtaking5 posted...

Is the game easier than SO4 or at least have better AI control?

How is the exploration in Two Worlds 2?

Never played SO4 yet. But from what I've read, yes. The Ai is actually smart(except for Cheria and Asbel), and if they aren't up to snuff you can just switch to them and control them yourself.

Not really sure. I'd say something like a GTA game. Multiple islands, and sections of them are blocked off until you advance(I think). But there is a lot to explore.

Oh and if you can, get Two Worlds 2 on the PC. Because like I said. Controls like a drunken dolphin. Doesn't control as badly on the PC IIRC.

Also never listen to what reviewers have to say. Watch a few episodes of a lets play or walkthrough on Youtube and decide for yourself.
---
Hey, X-kid, bombs away, here goes nothing
The shouting's over now, over and out again
#6jammiesPosted 5/1/2013 5:03:14 PM
The first Puzzle Quest. Don't know if it was underrated, but it's sadly forgotten these days when people ask for RPG recommendations.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx