This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

No game series is more overrated then MGS

#151OEIO999Posted 5/3/2013 8:29:28 PM
KyoKusanagi posted...
ArmPillow posted...
i disagree.

Versus XIII, a game not even released is so overrated people actually think it can save Square-Enix

The game isn't even out yet, so you haven't even played the game yet. How would you know it's overrated?

TC: Call of Duty says hi. I remember reading a quote that said "Call of Duty is basically Facebook with guns."

Again, Call of Duty isn't overrated. No one reasonable who plays it, actually plays with a mindset that its the BEST GAME IN THE WORLD! (at least after COD:MW1) It's dum/plain fun, simple.

Also I agree with Versus being overrated. It's not overrated because its bad game, which would be near impossible to discern since it isn't even out yet, its overrated because with all the buzz around it, proclaiming it to be the saviour of SE. When there's a good chance, it'll turn out disappointing like the rest of the trash SE's been releasing lately.
#152ZBug_Posted 5/3/2013 8:30:39 PM
ryouma17 posted...
necro00 posted...
No game series is more overrated then MGS

devil may cry.

god of war.

half life.

halo.

call of duty.

street fighter.

uncharted.

and the list goes on, so yes there are plenty of other games thats more overrated then MGS

Devil May Cry is overrated?

Half Life most DEFINITELY classifies as over rated. Seriously, I don't know why people like the game so much, the coolest part about it is it's name. That's it. And the name doesn't have anything to do with the game.
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#153ssvegitaPosted 5/3/2013 8:49:11 PM
mjc0961 posted...
JerichoDarkstar posted...
Opinion: "I don't like MGS as much as other people do. It's just not my type of game."

Fact: "MGS is a good game series and a lot of people really do like it as much as they say they do."

TC: "MGS is the most overrated game ever!" <-- incorrect assumption

I've done this many, many times before, TC. Just because you don't like a game series doesn't mean it's overrated. Feel free to post your opinions, but don't go around stating it as a fact.

The only problem is that he's calling it the most overrated. Overrated in itself does not mean bad. If people are giving a game 10/10s when it deserves 9/10s, that's overrated, but not saying the game is bad. Just that it's not as good as people claim.

Most overrated would be that the game is getting 10s when it deserves 1s, and for MGS, that is indeed incorrect. But you talk like calling anything overrated is calling the game bad, and that's incorrect too.

The problem with this logic is that every game would be considered "overrated" since there would inevitably be a group of people that didn't think said game deserves the score it gets.
#154MGS4SNAKEPosted 5/3/2013 9:03:24 PM
TeraPatrick2008 posted...
way more overrated:

- Elder Scrolls series
- Uncharted
- God of War
- Mass Effect
- Halo
- Crash Bandicoot
- Jak & Daxter
- Ratchet & Clank
- Assassins Creed
- Borderlands
- StarCraft
- World of Warcraft
- Smash Bros.
- LittleBigPlanet
- Tony Hawk Skateboarding
- Just Dance
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour

.. just to name a few!

Out of this list, Halo, Elder, Starcraft, WoW, Smash bros are the overrated games.

Crash and Tony Hawk were overrated in the PS1 days, these games are becoming unheard of. Golf is underrated in the general sport, even less for a video game and Assassin's Creed is losing its fan base.

Call of Duty series the definition of overrated, nothing original or exciting to show off, same old junk, year in year out, its multiplayer can be addicting and thats all it gets.

Shenmue and Vanquish is what you call underrated. MGS series? is just right, a new release every 3 to 4 years, engaging story, decent gameplay & something new every release.
---
"PLAY at your own risk"
#155raymanfan1Posted 5/3/2013 10:01:18 PM
Agreed with TC
---
Meh.
#156SolKarellenPosted 5/3/2013 10:11:21 PM
Go back to your CoD and GoW, TC. Meanwhile, we'll play something with substance.
---
"There'd come a time when life'd pull us apart. S'not a reason to avoid people."
#157necro00(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 10:30:47 PM
raymanfan1 posted...
Agreed with TC

:)
#158Evil_the_NubPosted 5/3/2013 10:44:13 PM
guineathewop posted...
The first one was good for it's time. Well the gameplay sucked but the ridiculous story and moronic characters fit in with everything else from the PS1 era. Hell the voice acting was godly compared to things like Syphon Filter and Resident Evil.

Unfortunately it never improved past that. The writing is insanely bad. It has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard. If you play these games in front of people they will actually think less of you as a person. And for some reason this has always been the focus of the series. The gameplay has always just been there to get you through the story. it's always been just average to sub-par.

So I can't quite figure out why the series is considered anything special either.

This is how I see it. I never played any of the MGS games before, but I always heard good things. Then a couple of years ago I saw the first 3 at Wal-Mart for $20 and I figured I'd give the series a chance.

Gameplay wise they're boring. You walk around and avoid inept nearsighted guards. Then you fight the occasional boss with a stupid easy weakness, like shooting him in the ass or throwing grenades into an open tank hatch. I can forgive bland gameplay if the story makes up for it, but it doesn't, and that's what bothers me the most. The series is hailed as these grand epics, but they're full of goofy cartoonish stuff. It tries to be serious, but at the same it it's making lame 4th wall jokes and having Snake hide under a cardboard box. Be serious or be comedic, but don't do both at the same time. That's like putting nacho cheese on ice cream.
---
There are few problems in life that can't be solved by a hug-happy amnesiac pillbug.
#159R_ChampPosted 5/3/2013 10:46:45 PM
I guess I stand in the middle. I think MGS is a little overrated, but still pretty good.
#160necro00(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 10:52:49 PM
Evil_the_Nub posted...
guineathewop posted...
The first one was good for it's time. Well the gameplay sucked but the ridiculous story and moronic characters fit in with everything else from the PS1 era. Hell the voice acting was godly compared to things like Syphon Filter and Resident Evil.

Unfortunately it never improved past that. The writing is insanely bad. It has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard. If you play these games in front of people they will actually think less of you as a person. And for some reason this has always been the focus of the series. The gameplay has always just been there to get you through the story. it's always been just average to sub-par.

So I can't quite figure out why the series is considered anything special either.

This is how I see it. I never played any of the MGS games before, but I always heard good things. Then a couple of years ago I saw the first 3 at Wal-Mart for $20 and I figured I'd give the series a chance.

Gameplay wise they're boring. You walk around and avoid inept nearsighted guards. Then you fight the occasional boss with a stupid easy weakness, like shooting him in the ass or throwing grenades into an open tank hatch. I can forgive bland gameplay if the story makes up for it, but it doesn't, and that's what bothers me the most. The series is hailed as these grand epics, but they're full of goofy cartoonish stuff. It tries to be serious, but at the same it it's making lame 4th wall jokes and having Snake hide under a cardboard box. Be serious or be comedic, but don't do both at the same time. That's like putting nacho cheese on ice cream.

So much truth