This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

No game series is more overrated then MGS

#31BosSBaerPosted 5/3/2013 11:31:12 AM
Twin Snakes on GCN, enough said.
---
// Collector of retro video games & collector editions //
Music rocks listen to it.
#32HabefietPosted 5/3/2013 11:35:06 AM
JerichoDarkstar posted...

Fact: "MGS is a good game series and a lot of people really do like it as much as they say they do."

You again?

>.>

You can't do this. You can't factually state that subjective material is good. You just can't. Is Twilight good? It's one of the best-selling book/movie series of all time. Tons of people love it to pieces. Is it objectively good on that basis?
#33EvilCactusPosted 5/3/2013 11:39:11 AM(edited)
Metal Gear Solid is a prime example of a series that has failed to keep up with modern storytelling techniques. The first MGS on the PSX was groundbreaking because it had lengthy cutscenes and voice acting, things that were not very well heard of at the time. Even though the quality of the writing and acting is awful in retrospect, the young children who played it didn't notice because they were enthralled by the lengthy unsubtle exposition, flashy action scenes, and Saturday morning cartoon characters.

In this day and age, storytelling in games had grown up, thanks to the likes of Irrational, Valve, Obsidian, Rockstar, and CD Projeckt RED. However, Kojima Productions has yet to evolve, as modern day MGS games still rely on this Michael Bay style of storytelling, resulting in Metal Gear Solid 4 being one of the worst sequels in gaming history.
---
sig here
#34velvet_hammerPosted 5/3/2013 11:38:39 AM
Necroo is notorious for terrible taste move on.. Hes also a lier
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#35bmagic3Posted 5/3/2013 11:46:57 AM
I guess its kinda like why people praise Lord of the rings when personally, I thought it was a terrible trilogy. But those who were interested in it from the beginning will always give praise to it....I think MGS Is similar in that aspect. If u didn't grow up with it and know what ties into each game, it may not be appreciated as much. We enjoyed the controls back then because nothing really played like it AT THE TIME but ill admit it does play outdated now. But its not enough to NOT enjoy the experience
---
MGS3 "Snake Eater" Remix: http://youtu.be/39QY9PHTFHA
Mass Effect 3 "Earth" Remix: http://youtu.be/O8EGDPHls3U
#36kel25Posted 5/3/2013 11:50:07 AM
EvilCactus posted...
Metal Gear Solid is a prime example of a series that has failed to keep up with modern storytelling techniques. The first MGS on the PSX was groundbreaking because it had lengthy cutscenes and voice acting, things that were not very well heard of at the time. Even though the quality of the writing and acting is awful in retrospect, the young children who played it didn't notice because they were enthralled by the lengthy unsubtle exposition, flashy action scenes, and Saturday morning cartoon characters.

In this day and age, storytelling in games had grown up, thanks to the likes of Irrational, Valve, Obsidian, Rockstar, and CD Projeckt RED. However, Kojima Productions has yet to evolve, as modern day MGS games still rely on this Michael Bay style of storytelling, resulting in Metal Gear Solid 4 being one of the worst sequels in gaming history.

I agree with this. One of the reasons why I loved MGS is that it was such a unique experience. Especially because of extremely unique things like the Psycho Mantis boss fight. The story had a lot of problems but I was able to easily overlook them because the game was such a unique experience.

As the series went on the cracks in the wall started to show. I was less captivated by the gameplay and became more aware of the problems with the story.

Not to mention our likes and dislikes change over the years. What was an amazing or dull story to a younger you may be the opposite to an older you.
#37IamthekuzalolPosted 5/3/2013 11:50:38 AM
Overrated? Nope, it deserves the popularity and acclaims. Overrated series would be FF, GoW, COD, Assassin Creed, etc.
#38BruceWayneJrPosted 5/3/2013 11:51:03 AM
Can I have that overrated, worthless game disc that you'll probably never play again? :)
#39arclouks_xPosted 5/3/2013 11:51:12 AM
Killah Priest posted...
Thats cool, personally I love them.

this
---
PSN:arclouksx/JustArc_ I want to eat Naoto.
Now playing:God of war 3,Persona 4 Arena & Golden
#40necro00(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 11:53:08 AM
velvet_hammer posted...
Necroo is notorious for terrible taste move on.. Hes also a lier

Am I? Prove it