This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

No game series is more overrated then MGS

#41Devilman_AmonPosted 5/3/2013 10:56:13 AM
Call of Duty is the most overrated with Halo coming in second and Gears in third.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#42lostnumberwarPosted 5/3/2013 10:56:16 AM
Barley tea, please?
---
I think, therefore I don't care.
#43JerichoDarkstarPosted 5/3/2013 10:57:14 AM
Habefiet posted...
JerichoDarkstar posted...

Fact: "MGS is a good game series and a lot of people really do like it as much as they say they do."

You again?

>.>

You can't do this. You can't factually state that subjective material is good. You just can't. Is Twilight good? It's one of the best-selling book/movie series of all time. Tons of people love it to pieces. Is it objectively good on that basis?

You can just throw objectivity right out the door with all video games. It doesn't exist here. So, the only thing we have to go on is overall rating. The FACT is MGS has existed for quite some time. Time and again it has sold well, and it gets relatively good ratings and feedback from its players.

Did I say, "MGS is the best game EVAH!" No. Did I say, "Anyone who doesn't like MGS is stupid!!!" No. I stated a fact. Good for a series can be measured on a majority of things like sales, popularity, longevity, etc., and MGS games usually has all the above.

So, if I want to state that "MGS is a good game series and a lot of people really do like it as much as they say they do," I am completely within my right to do so. I'm not stating anything that is incorrect.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#44TerotrousPosted 5/3/2013 10:58:19 AM
I haven't put a lot of time into the MGS franchise, but I have a friend who is constantly bothering me to play it. Apparently, it is a life-changing, mind-blowing experience. Somehow, I kind of doubt this is the case, possibly because I've played well over 1000 games and none of them have been what I'd call "life-changing", though in MGS's defense he does say this about absolutely everything (other life-changing things: Dexter, Bates Motel, FFX, God of War, Fallout 3, Persona 3, Various restaurants, etc), so I mostly tune his recommendations out.

SigmaHaciel posted...
The MGS crowd is a literal minority compared to others. Sonic, anyone?

Is it really possible for the Sonic franchise to be overrated when even Sonic fans acknowledge that he went through like a 10 year period of having really disappointing games?

I guess you could maybe argue Sonic as a character is somewhat overrated because despite how many times he lets them down, people are always waiting, ready to love him again. Though I think this speaks to some fundamental aspect of his character or the good Sonic games that makes him endearing even when his games are bad.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#45DakhanavarXPosted 5/3/2013 10:59:25 AM
Iamthekuzalol posted...
Overrated? Nope, it deserves the popularity and acclaims. Overrated series would be FF, GoW, COD, Assassin Creed, etc.

Or maybe none of them are overrated (Because if they genuinely were, wouldn't they be "rated" less?), and MGS just happens to be the one in that list that you personally enjoy?

I think that the use of the word "overrated" is far more overrated than any of the games people associate with the word.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#46kewldude475Posted 5/3/2013 10:59:33 AM
Habefiet posted...

Fact: "MGS is a good game series and a lot of people really do like it as much as they say they do."

You again?

>.>

You can't do this. You can't factually state that subjective material is good. You just can't. Is Twilight good? It's one of the best-selling book/movie series of all time. Tons of people love it to pieces. Is it objectively good on that basis?

You can just throw objectivity right out the door with all video games.

I'm not going to lie, I teared up a bit while reading this. It's incomprehensibly asinine, and there's almost no way this isn't trolling, but the very fact that he could be serious is what scares me.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZAQVsCU.gif
#47lostnumberwarPosted 5/3/2013 11:01:49 AM
The service here is just terrible.
*Flips table, walks out irate*
I'm never coming here again.
---
I think, therefore I don't care.
#48JerichoDarkstarPosted 5/3/2013 11:02:31 AM
kewldude475 posted...
Habefiet posted...

You again?

>.>

I'm not going to lie, I teared up a bit while reading this. It's incomprehensibly asinine, and there's almost no way this isn't trolling, but the very fact that he could be serious is what scares me.

I dare you to show me how objectivity can be used in genuinely classifying a game as overrated. How in the world are you going to measure it?

(Anyone who has seen my posts knows I'm not a troll. I always try to balance the arguments out, and I'll admit when someone can actually show me I'm wrong. Trying to call me a troll is actually pretty funny).
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#49majin nemesisPosted 5/3/2013 11:04:41 AM
TC you not liking the MGS does not make it overrrated also overrated or not the games are good
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#50kewldude475Posted 5/3/2013 11:05:06 AM
kewldude475 posted...
Habefiet posted...

You again?

>.>

I dare you to show me how objectivity can be used in genuinely classifying a game as overrated. How in the world are you going to measure it?

(Anyone who has seen my posts knows I'm not a troll. I always try to balance the arguments out, and I'll admit when someone can actually show me I'm wrong. Trying to call me a troll is actually pretty funny).

You can't objectively classify a game as overrated, and you can't objectively classify it as good.

Also, I literally read "You can just throw objectivity right out the door" as "You CAN'T just throw objectivity out the door". That makes tremendously more sense, and isn't stupid. This was a grand misreading of mine, since it made a reasonable statement sound just... horrible.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZAQVsCU.gif