This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So who is really at fault for Aliens: Colonial Marines?

#1PW360Posted 5/3/2013 11:47:45 AM
Gearbox, SEGA or TimeGate? The whole thing still seems like a huge PR nightmare even after nearly 3 months, with neither company wanting to admit responsibility.
---
"High sales: "sales =/= quality"
Low sales: "game flops"" ~terry92126
#2kupo1705Posted 5/3/2013 11:49:24 AM
Gearbox mostly.
Yes, they didn't make most of the game, but they were still in charge.
#3xdividebyzeroxPosted 5/3/2013 11:54:10 AM
General consensus is Gearbox. They had the project from day one, outsourced it to TimeGate with very little material to work on while working on Borderlands, made a bunch of fake gameplay demos at E3 and PAX to please SEGA and fans while masquerading it as real-time gameplay, and knew the final product wouldn't live up to the demos expectations yet released it anyway.

Very little of the blame goes to SEGA and TimeGate. All TimeGate is really at fault for is getting in over their heads and not turning down the project after receiving the material from Gearbox, and SEGA was just acting as a publisher.
---
Currently playing: Dark Souls and Tekken Tag 2 attempting platinum's
#4gilv3rPosted 5/3/2013 12:03:05 PM
Gearbox.

How many times did we hear Pitchford say what a big fan he is and that they are taking care of it? So full of ****. Dont care if I liked borderlands, im never buying another gearbox game. Too many other good games out anyway.
---
PC PS3 3DS
#5Devilman_AmonPosted 5/3/2013 12:04:16 PM
Shinebox
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#6Shy420Posted 5/3/2013 12:09:53 PM
Time Gate for not realizing the game was crap and Gearbox for not having quality control run through the game for 15 minutes to realize it was crap. I don't think SEGA had anything to do with the game but for a name.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#7cirkmetroidPosted 5/3/2013 12:21:10 PM
The people who bought it.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Sprites rule.
#8deathsaber79Posted 5/3/2013 12:25:19 PM
Mostly Gearbox, but it was a team effort.

Gearbox started with it, and developed it pretty far a few years back, but then it came out that they were yanking people from Aliens, so Gearbox could make Borderlands, all the while Gearbox was still cashing checks from Sega as if they were fully developing the game.

So the game was sort of scrapped by Sega, but then resumed- eventually Gearbox started outsourcing to various studios- with TImegate being the primary one now developing, and more or less scrapping Gearbox's own work to date and starting from scratch. Eventually Sega blew the whistle- Gearbox is taking too long, the game has been in development hell for five years, the whole time which Gearbox has been cashing Sega checks, release something NOW or you are in breach of contract.

So the piece of crap known as Aliens Colonial Marines, was released in the state we all know and (don't) love.

Bottom line- in the course of this games development, Gearbox basically struck gold with Borderlands, and decided all time and effort into cranking out games and dlc for this series and intentionally torched Colonial Marines which no longer was a priority. Truthfully, I'm surprised that Sega hasn't sued them yet.
#9BioShock111583Posted 5/3/2013 12:58:46 PM
Gearbox. It's amazing how they've released two of the best games this gen (Borderlands) and then screwed up their public perception with DNF and Aliens. Randy Pitchford is pretty much a con-man.
---
beLIEve
#10KenauePosted 5/3/2013 1:23:41 PM
Gearbox. Sega simply published it. Gearbox wants all the credit for anything good about A:CM, despite the fact that they outsourced it to Timegate because they couldn't be bothered to actually make the game themselves. Then they had the balls to pass off a pre-rendered video as gameplay, slap the pre-rendered video in commercials and adverts, AND EVEN PUT STILLS FROM THE VIDEOS ON THE BOX....the game doesn't look ANYTHING like what's even on the damn box....
---
Most Excited For: SMT IV (3DS), ToX (CE, PS3), Pikmin 3 (Wii U), Fuse (PS3), Pokemon Y (3DS), Dragon's Crown (Vita).
PSN: Lord_CBH / Nintendo Network: LordCBH