This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So who is really at fault for Aliens: Colonial Marines?

#31BioShock111583Posted 5/3/2013 6:39:23 PM
Sega definitely had some oversight issues here, but it's hard to come down on them because they're the ones who lost all that money to Gearbox and got absolutely nothing in return.
---
beLIEve
#32jubjub360Posted 5/3/2013 6:44:49 PM
BioShock111583 posted...
Sega definitely had some oversight issues here, but it's hard to come down on them because they're the ones who lost all that money to Gearbox and got absolutely nothing in return.

That's the problem with investing. It's definitely a guessing game. I still think that Sega could possibly have a part in this lawsuit on the plaintiff's side because Gearbox failed to deliver and that what they delivered was not what was advertised.
#33Mr_Big_BossPosted 5/3/2013 7:28:47 PM
Mostly Gearbox, but it was a team effort.

Gearbox started with it, and developed it pretty far a few years back, but then it came out that they were yanking people from Aliens, so Gearbox could make Borderlands, all the while Gearbox was still cashing checks from Sega as if they were fully developing the game.

So the game was sort of scrapped by Sega, but then resumed- eventually Gearbox started outsourcing to various studios- with TImegate being the primary one now developing, and more or less scrapping Gearbox's own work to date and starting from scratch. Eventually Sega blew the whistle- Gearbox is taking too long, the game has been in development hell for five years, the whole time which Gearbox has been cashing Sega checks, release something NOW or you are in breach of contract.

So the piece of crap known as Aliens Colonial Marines, was released in the state we all know and (don't) love.

Bottom line- in the course of this games development, Gearbox basically struck gold with Borderlands, and decided all time and effort into cranking out games and dlc for this series and intentionally torched Colonial Marines which no longer was a priority. Truthfully, I'm surprised that Sega hasn't sued them yet.

That pretty much sums it up. Gearbox took money from Sega and used it to make Borderlands instead. I hope Gearbox is sued and loses Borderlands to Sega.
---
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#34wstfldPosted 5/3/2013 7:38:20 PM
It's definitely because they included multiplayer.
---
Last Played: God of War Ascension (8/10)
Now Playing: SOTC HD, StarCraft 2, Wipeout 2048, Guacamelee
#35DBN_StealthPosted 5/3/2013 7:40:08 PM
is it really that bad?
#36BioShock111583Posted 5/3/2013 9:55:48 PM
2K probably owns the Borderlands IP so I doubt they'd lose that, but they need to lose something.
---
beLIEve
#37cirkmetroidPosted 5/4/2013 8:46:37 AM(edited)
DBN_Stealth posted...
so is it really that bad? even for a huge alien fan?

Well, you spend probably 90% of the game fighting humans.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Sprites rule.
#38DemonDog666Posted 5/4/2013 8:55:53 AM
aPimp_named_leE posted...
psprulz2007 posted...
Kenaue posted...
psprulz2007 posted...
Gamers. Because the way this gen gamers have turned the gaming industry around and twisted companies want to do what they can to make money. That along with this gens gamers feeling like they are entitled to anything and everything makes them think they can sue and be owed money because a game didn't turn out the way they expected it.

We're entitled to the game that they ADVERTISED in commercials and on the box itself, which we DIDN'T get.

You got exactly what any sane normal realistic person seen coming. An average to meh game. Any expectations higher then that is just plain moronic. The game delivered exactly what I expected.

Gamefaqs (many of you sad souls) suggested NIER as the second coming of Christ. Was the single worst game Ive ever played. Do you see me demanding something from them? No.

i partially agree with you. i never buy games on release day anymore since, now more than ever, the gaming industry has become a huge 'buyer beware' environment. i wait for reviews from friends and reviewers i trust as well as demos. Surprisingly i loved RE6 despite what people said about it, but felt underwhelmed by 'amazing' games like Battlefield 3 and Dead Rising, so it's always best to 'rent' games from gamestop or borrow it from a friend before making a final purchase.

Just because you should be smart enough not to fall for something doesn't mean it's your fault, it just means you are gullible, the liar is still at fault. That said I do agree anyone who bought the game was just plain dumb or uninformed
#39suprsoliderPosted 5/4/2013 11:39:04 AM
I blame Randy Pitchford for screwing Sega over on this one.

Gearbox was taking the money for the game from Sega and then using it for Borderlands instead.

Randy is a con man and I am never buying anything ever again that this man is attached to.
---
"Those who say it's impossible to do something should not disturb those who attempt to accomplish."
Wii Code:7975 8057 2122 7057 PSN ID: CF-105
#40MrMolinaroPosted 5/4/2013 2:59:24 PM
BioShock111583 posted...
2K probably owns the Borderlands IP so I doubt they'd lose that, but they need to lose something.

Gearbox owns the IP rights for Borderlands, Brothers in Arms, Homeworld and Duke Nukem.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?s=44773a11ba7423707a8d701b456b3e63&p=2185656#post2185656