This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand why people argue about how DMC4's backtracking (spoilers)

#1DantechanPosted 5/3/2013 2:16:55 PM
DMC3 is equally guilty of backtracking too. DMC1 also had backtracking, even though it wasn't that bad.
#2MoonlightJustPosted 5/3/2013 2:18:49 PM
It's not just backtracking. The backtracking itself wasn't that big a deal to me. It was fighting all the same bosses all over again that got old. I realize, new character new tactics, but they weren't anywhere near as fun for me the second time.

Still love DMC4 tho'. Just had some wrinkles.
#3Dantechan(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 2:21:57 PM
MoonlightJust posted...
It's not just backtracking. The backtracking itself wasn't that big a deal to me. It was fighting all the same bosses all over again that got old. I realize, new character new tactics, but they weren't anywhere near as fun for me the second time.

Understandable. But atleast you got new cutscenes and weapons, which was nice.

The only part of DMC4 that was stupid was mission 19. I mean cmon, you're making us fight Berial, Echidna, and the frog for a third time?
#4koalabear9000Posted 5/3/2013 3:03:58 PM
Dantechan posted...
MoonlightJust posted...

Understandable. But atleast you got new cutscenes and weapons, which was nice.

The only part of DMC4 that was stupid was mission 19. I mean cmon, you're making us fight Berial, Echidna, and the frog for a third time?

Well you fight almost every boss three times in DMC1 also. To me the problem comes from fighting the exact same bosses in the exact same areas as before.

And the backtracking in DMC1 and DMC3 feels better because it isn't linear backtracking like DMC4. In DMC4 it's almost straight line that you go to a point and then come the same way back.
#5demonfang178Posted 5/3/2013 6:08:22 PM
Because DMC4's level design was boring and bland enough as Nero and without even attempting to dress it up, it becomes much more apparent as Dante.
#6Lockheart34Posted 5/3/2013 6:19:13 PM
You remember that bug boss? You fight him four times throughout the entire game. It doesn't help that he is goddamn boring.

Oh wait, is it five times? Once more in that stupid dice game.

Five times is nothing more than pointless filler. The game was full of it.
---
PSN: Kamurotetsu
#7A_Nonny_MoosePosted 5/3/2013 6:29:03 PM(edited)
In DMC1 and 3 the back tracking is more organic as the game's are set in one location that you explore, whereas DMC4 had a linear progression through a number of areas. You went from A to Z and then back again in exactly the same order.

Plus DMC3 didn't re-use bosses (outside of the boss rush), and in DMC1 each time you fought a boss it was in a new area and they have new moves.

There's also the fact that when playing as Dante it's basically like lowering the difficulty by 1 level, because he has so many more options than Nero and he just makes a joke out of enemies and bosses that could be troublesome before. I had a hard time fighting Berial with Nero that first time, and when I came back to his Dante he was obscenely easy. But then fighting him for a second time as Nero he was hard again. And it's exactly the same fight all 3 times.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#8AzureVergilPosted 5/3/2013 6:44:37 PM
Lockheart34 posted...
You remember that bug boss? You fight him four times throughout the entire game. It doesn't help that he is goddamn boring.

The worst is that most fun one (Credo Angelo) is the only one not fought multiple time.
#9digitalwill2000Posted 5/3/2013 6:51:00 PM(edited)
Please understand that im NOT making an 'its personal opinion' argument, I just believe its up to a persons values.

Any self-respecting person would understand that intention matters, a LOT. I personally didnt like dmc3 but the backtracking in that was intentional, the developers knew the risks and made sure to keep it fresh. Dmc4 however clearly appears as if the backtracking was done out of sheer laziness.
It seems a lot of people dont care for intentions, which is tragic rly cuz that means developers can get away with underhanded tactics.

Another example:
FFX was 'linear' intentionally to replicate the idea that the characters are undertaking a well-known pilgrimage, following the exact steps that many other summoners have attempted before them.
FFXIII was linear because the developers were bloody lazy and square enix are hacks.
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...
#10Lockheart34Posted 5/4/2013 1:32:01 AM
AzureVergil posted...
Lockheart34 posted...

The worst is that most fun one (Credo Angelo) is the only one not fought multiple time.

I was on about this dude

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Agnus

Rehash central this one.

But I liked Credo Angelo. He was the only boss that I had trouble with.
---
PSN: Kamurotetsu