This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The problem with developers today is that they're stupid.

#31Mr_Big_BossPosted 5/4/2013 11:58:51 AM

From what I have heard (I do not claim to be an expert), Tomb Raider, for example, was expected to hit 5+ million in sales, even though no entry in the franchise had ever sold that many copies, several of the games have been poor/mediocre, and the franchise hasn't really been considered a big name in over a decade.

I know right, Tomb Raider hasn't been relevant since the PS1 days and yet they expected this new one to sell as much as Assassin's Creed.
---
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#32SmoshCuchPosted 5/4/2013 12:14:37 PM
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
As much as people bash Nintendo for being too casual or kiddy or whatever, this topic is a prime example of why their first party games are more fun. No photorealistic graphics, very little voice acting, yet fun enough to play over and over again even after you finished it for the first time. How often can you say that about the offline portions of PS3/360 first party games?

Quite often. In fact, I only play offline, and I still prefer Sony. But that isn't the point.

As far as I know, I haven't really heard any of the three console manufacturers crying about their first/second party games not reaching wildly unrealistic sales expectations.

This is mostly a third-party problem, so no need to turn this into another N vs S vs MS thread. We have enough of that nonsense.

Yes, Nintendo games are a valid example of games that are fun and high-quality without requiring a huge budget. Let's please refrain from starting any arguments about whether they are more fun than anyone else's games, as that will only serve to derail the thread into fanboy fodder.
#33Devilman_AmonPosted 5/4/2013 12:21:35 PM
Well in terms of "worse" graphics, there's something creepier about Silent Hill 1 than its sequels as well as the graininess of Siren and Siren Blood Curse as opposed to the slickness and smoother "vinyl like textures and lighting of other games...

Though I still prefer REmake over RE1
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#34SmoshCuchPosted 5/4/2013 12:21:40 PM
akuma634 posted...
Another topic where somebody thinks developer = publisher. Get a basic understanding of the industry before making these rant topics. This is the information age, ignorance has no excuse.

TC already addressed this and acknowledged that he misused the word 'developer' as a generalized catch-all for all of the people behind a game. No need to beat him up over it; this is still a more mature and intelligent discussion than most of the tripe I read on these forums.
#35cirkmetroidPosted 5/4/2013 1:05:44 PM

Lol no. Poor graphics are about the worst thing you can do to a horror game.

This is really wrong. Seriously. You know why most serious horror fans tend to say that the horror genre is pretty much dead nowadays?

Sure, we can make some much more realistic looking movies. But it certainly doesn't make them GOOD.

For crying out loud, some of the best horror movies of all, were when you never, or barely ever saw the thing you were supposed to be scared of.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Sprites rule.
#36TJ_UNLIMITEDPosted 5/4/2013 6:58:35 PM
cirkmetroid posted...

Lol no. Poor graphics are about the worst thing you can do to a horror game.

This is really wrong. Seriously. You know why most serious horror fans tend to say that the horror genre is pretty much dead nowadays?

Sure, we can make some much more realistic looking movies. But it certainly doesn't make them GOOD.

For crying out loud, some of the best horror movies of all, were when you never, or barely ever saw the thing you were supposed to be scared of.

Probably why Evil Dead is loved by so many people
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#37Q_Sensei(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 10:12:02 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Well in terms of "worse" graphics, there's something creepier about Silent Hill 1 than its sequels as well as the graininess of Siren and Siren Blood Curse as opposed to the slickness and smoother "vinyl like textures and lighting of other games...

Though I still prefer REmake over RE1

I think I like Silent Hill 2 more than 1 in just about every way.

But yeah, REmake was probably the last great Survival Horror to come from Capcom
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#38hak145Posted 5/6/2013 10:33:22 PM
lesson for publishers is to keep the team small and stick to what makes your franchise different from the rest.
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls