This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it safe to buy things from PSN now?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Is it safe to buy things from PSN now?
2 years ago#31
captainjeff87 posted...
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
captainjeff87 posted...
>implying that using your CC anywhere else online is safer than using it on PSN

Sony screwed up, a smart consumer would learn from the lesson and switch to PSN cards. If you and the guy calling people paranoid for using PSN cards want to continue to trust them with your info, more power to you, but don't come here crying if it happens again. People are supposed to learn from past mistakes, not repeat them.

I know that and I understand the risks of using my CC info on the store despite what happened.

Although, like I said in my original comment, that's not to say other online stores/sites aren't hack-proof. For all we know, Amazon could get hacked next week or maybe Ebay. Or who knows, maybe XBL could get hacked and they could get their CC info stolen too.

With that being said, it's no big deal really. All you have to do is simply call your bank, deactivate your card, take off the false charges and get a new card sent. Simple fix.

I agree captain. I have the same credit card on PSN now that I had when they got hacked. People are either ignorant or too paranoid to understand how credit cards work. I have many credit cards on many internet sites (and for use in brick and mortar stores) and have never had a problem. They're safe, safer than debit cards.

I use my credit cards for 99% of everything I buy. I rarely carry cash. I like it because I can look at my statements and see how much I spend in any given month. I also never spend more than I can afford to pay off in full. The only thing I use cash for is when I go to my local bar.
2 years ago#32
Real_Account posted...
but after the whole hacking and credit card getting stolen through PSN, I'm not sure.

That's an ignorant thing to say.

You're not any more likely to get your credit card info stolen there than anywhere else.
Less likely if you really put thought into it.
---
"While you are wasting your time castrating a priceless antique, I have been systematically feeding babies to hungry mutated puppies!"
2 years ago#33
LOL Sony Ponies hurling insults because people don't trust Sony with their card info anymore
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
2 years ago#34
i own over 45 games and a lot of other stuf from psn and i have never had any problem.
---
psn-kish1975 ----------xbox live-godslayer1975------------------wii u-kish1975------3ds-077730466718
2 years ago#35
For what it's worth, there seems to be a lot of people talking about paypal being a safe alternative in this thread.

Don't get me wrong, I use paypal myself, and have for years...but Paypal is *NOT* safe. Read their terms and conditions, it's some freakish stuff.

Honestly since I only rarely use paypal I'm surprised I keep it active, one of these days I'll link it to a second account instead of my main checking account...

But man, paypal is scary, yo.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Sprites rule.
2 years ago#36
Yea it is safe....Just buy a PSN card if you are that paranoid.

Also you have not used the store in 2 years? lol....
2 years ago#37
doodles40 posted...
captainjeff87 posted...
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
captainjeff87 posted...
>implying that using your CC anywhere else online is safer than using it on PSN

Sony screwed up, a smart consumer would learn from the lesson and switch to PSN cards. If you and the guy calling people paranoid for using PSN cards want to continue to trust them with your info, more power to you, but don't come here crying if it happens again. People are supposed to learn from past mistakes, not repeat them.

I know that and I understand the risks of using my CC info on the store despite what happened.

Although, like I said in my original comment, that's not to say other online stores/sites aren't hack-proof. For all we know, Amazon could get hacked next week or maybe Ebay. Or who knows, maybe XBL could get hacked and they could get their CC info stolen too.

With that being said, it's no big deal really. All you have to do is simply call your bank, deactivate your card, take off the false charges and get a new card sent. Simple fix.

I agree captain. I have the same credit card on PSN now that I had when they got hacked. People are either ignorant or too paranoid to understand how credit cards work. I have many credit cards on many internet sites (and for use in brick and mortar stores) and have never had a problem. They're safe, safer than debit cards.

I use my credit cards for 99% of everything I buy. I rarely carry cash. I like it because I can look at my statements and see how much I spend in any given month. I also never spend more than I can afford to pay off in full. The only thing I use cash for is when I go to my local bar.

As someone posted above:

Sony failed to implement some basic security measures on the PSN before they were hacked. So yes, other places online were safer than Sony for using your CC before the hack. I can only assume that the PSN has better security now.

If you give someone your info and they have a security breach, it's natural to expect that you'd be hesitant to give them your info again. To label such people as "ignorant" or "too paranoid" is just silly.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/64275451 - Skyrim Level 81 Guide
2 years ago#38
I only use PSN cards to buy from the store. It's safer, and people can call me paranoid all they wish. As said, it also controls impulse buys a little more.
---
"You're right. I am a weapon. Every cell in my body is aching for a fight. They long to collide with their anti-existence." ~ Jr.
2 years ago#39
Yes it's safe... well, i actually resumed purchasing right after they reopened the servers.
2 years ago#40
Go buy PSN card.
---
If someone post "I don't care", they actually care VERY much.
If they DON'T care, they WON'T bother posting.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Is it safe to buy things from PSN now?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived