This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The dumbest decisions ever made by a character (Major Spoilers)

#1bebob26Posted 5/4/2013 5:35:42 PM
I got to thinking about some of the actual in-game decisions made by a game's characters. But I was drawing blanks and I could only remember a few off the top of my head. Some of them still leave me scratching my head and others are so bad they make me laugh. So I ask you guys the question in the topic.

To clarify: these have to be utterly moronic decisions by main characters or NPCs that effect a main plot, side quest, character arc or something of that nature and why. It can be any game you've played. Simple, list the character, game, the action and why it was tragically and/or hilariously stupid. Things that left you agape and had you going, WTF?

Basically, any moment in a game where a character just goes full r****d. And speaking of that, lol...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wVagQ_LVd4

Courteous, civil discussion of such things are welcome of course. But no console or flame wars. For my initial post, I'll be using spoiler tags just in case someone clicks this link by accident. But read at your own discretion.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. I had a handful of ideas in my head, but this one:

Anders (Dragon Age 2): I recently played this game again, and this is the one that really stuck out to me. If you've played this game, you KNOW what I'm talking about. I still boggles my mind to this day. In a game chock full of bad decisions, this had to be the worst. So basically, to resolve a conflict between mages and templars, you blow up the Chantry...the official mediating party, and essentially start a war. The person who could have resolved the entire thing and you kill her, her subordinates and civilians with collateral damage. Granted, Elthina didn't do her f****** job, but still...that's like me being mad at my boss and deciding to kill HER boss.

So what about you guys? Any other moronic decisions you'd like to share?
---
"...and any man who must say, 'I am the king', is no true king at all." - Tywin Lannister
#2jrr18Posted 5/4/2013 5:40:52 PM
bebob26 posted...
I got to thinking about some of the actual in-game decisions made by a game's characters. But I was drawing blanks and I could only remember a few off the top of my head. Some of them still leave me scratching my head and others are so bad they make me laugh. So I ask you guys the question in the topic.

To clarify: these have to be utterly moronic decisions by main characters or NPCs that effect a main plot, side quest, character arc or something of that nature and why. It can be any game you've played. Simple, list the character, game, the action and why it was tragically and/or hilariously stupid. Things that left you agape and had you going, WTF?

Basically, any moment in a game where a character just goes full r****d. And speaking of that, lol...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wVagQ_LVd4

Courteous, civil discussion of such things are welcome of course. But no console or flame wars. For my initial post, I'll be using spoiler tags just in case someone clicks this link by accident. But read at your own discretion.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. I had a handful of ideas in my head, but this one:

Anders (Dragon Age 2): I recently played this game again, and this is the one that really stuck out to me. If you've played this game, you KNOW what I'm talking about. I still boggles my mind to this day. In a game chock full of bad decisions, this had to be the worst. So basically, to resolve a conflict between mages and templars, you blow up the Chantry...the official mediating party, and essentially start a war. The person who could have resolved the entire thing and you kill her, her subordinates and civilians with collateral damage. Granted, Elthina didn't do her f****** job, but still...that's like me being mad at my boss and deciding to kill HER boss.

spoilers for mass effect 2 and dragon age 2

I still think that in dragon age 2 thrask kidnaping your sibling to stop you from siding with the knight commander is stupider particularly if oppose her every chance you get. Or that warden in mass effect 2 that thought Shepard would make a good slave and let him keep his gun
---
Victory over the leprechaun werewolves through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#3bebob26(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 5:49:39 PM
jrr18 posted...
bebob26 posted...

spoilers for mass effect 2 and dragon age 2

I still think that in dragon age 2 thrask kidnaping your sibling to stop you from siding with the knight commander is stupider particularly if oppose her every chance you get. Or that warden in mass effect 2 that thought Shepard would make a good slave and let him keep his gun

Holy s***, I forgot about that part in ME 2. I just hope it's not all Bioware games in the thread, lol.
---
"...and any man who must say, 'I am the king', is no true king at all." - Tywin Lannister
#4freakofnature30Posted 5/4/2013 6:18:26 PM
That one guy in Oblivion (not really a spoiler, as this was just a generic NPC).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmerVWaTjZM
---
"I ain't no demon, Lord, but neither are you..."
PSN: freakofnature300
#5CyricsServantPosted 5/4/2013 6:20:08 PM(edited)
jrr18 posted...

Couldn't agree more about Dragon Age 2. That "Best Served Cold" mission was terribly written, especially if you were a pro-mage mage.

Also Shepard in ME3 during the ending, pre-EC.

Shepard: "Why do you routinely exterminate 99.99% of all organics in the Universe every 50k years? What are you? Where did you come from?"

Catalyst: "We don't have time for that!

Shepard: "Oh, okay."

Catalyst: "Quick, pick one of these three devices that will fundamentally alter the Universe for all time. Here's an ambiguous, simplified 10 second explanation for what each on does."

Shepard: "Can you elaborate on them?"

Catalyst: "Yes . . . but I won't."

Shepard: "Oh, okay." *Chooses Green" ". . . the **** just happened?!"

Bioware: Buy our DLC. The End.

. . . Yeeeeeeah.

To get us off the topic of Bioware though, that guy in Fable 2 who locks you (a friggin hero with super powers) in a rickety wooden cage without taking any of your weapons, and informs you he plans to set you on fire. Then he hears a sound in the banshee infested swamps and goes to investigate it . . . only to be killed by a banshee.
#6Bolc56Posted 5/4/2013 9:34:01 PM(edited)
SPOILERS FOR JAK 3

There is a Gigantic hulking spider machine outside the city, Jak has to destroy it and he has access to a large number of vehicles so does he choose a tank? a large truck with a automated turret? no he chooses the smallest, weakest car available and tries to destroy a 50ft machine which could crush him easily
#7WiiareVenomPosted 5/5/2013 2:02:32 AM
The Brotherhood leadership in the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow series. So, you see a vision of your best soldier becoming a monster in a mirror, so you don't warn him before he goes bad, than force his wife to give you the baby he doesn't yet knows he has in order to fight him later...Thats like asking for him to be an even worse monster
---
Join our bearded nation , our bearded population, our bearded operation. Its not an invitation, it is an expectation.
#8bebob26(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 12:38:41 AM
I was wondering how quickly ME 3 would show up. That certainly didn't take long, lol.
---