This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

10 reasons why Dark Souls is an action game and NOT an rpg

#21Amine Hsu NekuchanPosted 5/5/2013 2:53:55 AM
notrandom posted...
It might not seem like a RPG to you TC but it is once, just under the more defined term of "action RPG".

You wanna know what really grinds my gears though? When people call shooters like Boderlands and Mass Effect RPGs.

I suck at shooters, but I have been able to make it through Borderlands( 1 and 2) and Mass Effect (1) mostly through extensive grinding. I have yet to be able to get through Dark Souls irregardless of how much I grind.
---
"Traduce" in English means to expose to shame by means of falsehood; "Violate""Malign."
Nintendo does that too, only they call it localization.-NuoTrainer
#22nonexistingheroPosted 5/5/2013 2:55:09 AM
You basically just admitted you suck at the game...
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#23Amine Hsu NekuchanPosted 5/5/2013 2:57:50 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
You basically just admitted you suck at the game...

I do suck at the game.
---
"Traduce" in English means to expose to shame by means of falsehood; "Violate""Malign."
Nintendo does that too, only they call it localization.-NuoTrainer
#24nofxnofxPosted 5/5/2013 3:25:34 AM
Flamechamp, you are a moron.
#25-Zelmor-Posted 5/5/2013 3:39:57 AM
TC doesn't even know what constitutes as a rpg, yet argues as if he knows anything.
---
The official ruler of the Langrisser board. Just a heads up, don't ever bet your account on soccer matches, "sob sob".
#26Raven_CyarmPosted 5/5/2013 4:43:24 AM
jubjub360 posted...
It's an RPG. You create a character from the ground up, choosing everything from who he is to his/her base stats. You then go through the game and level him/her up using experience points gained from doing multiple things, in Dark Souls killing and spending souls.

By this logic, The Sims is an RPG.
---
If everyone likes a game and you're the only one who hates it, it's not overrated, you're just the black sheep.
#27atma6Posted 5/5/2013 5:54:41 AM(edited)
1. The story is minimalistic but there is an absolute ton of lore in this game, so you're wrong there. Also, RPGs don't need a story in order to be an RPG. Look at the original Final Fantasy.

2. Skill is often important in action RPGs, for example, beating Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts, so your 100% figure doesn't work.

3. You can beat many RPGs without equipment or low level challenges. Check out a Final Fantasy FAQ section, plenty of no materia, no sphere grid, etc guides. This point has no relevance.

4. Character interaction does not equal an RPG. Once again, look at early RPGs or dungeon crawlers, or many other action RPGs.

5. Many RPGs, particularly MMORPGs do not allow you to pause. This is for the online component and is not indicative of the genre.

6. Many, many RPGs don't have towns. They are not a staple in many of them. Towns are only critical in certain sub genres, and as you said, as FFXIII showed, even those sub genres don't require them. It is not indicative of the genre.

7. Gimmicks and online capabilities, particularly multiplayer do not disqualify something from being an RPG. This has no relevance.

8. Autosaving is common in RPGs.

9. Well thought out exploration is often the opposite of RPGs, many of which are extremely linear experiences.

-

So no, not a single point you made indicates that Dark Souls is anything other than an action RPG, and no point even begins to direct it to the territory of pure action game.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#28theSFfan_1Posted 5/5/2013 5:30:18 AM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
jubjub360 posted...
It's an RPG. You create a character from the ground up, choosing everything from who he is to his/her base stats. You then go through the game and level him/her up using experience points gained from doing multiple things, in Dark Souls killing and spending souls.

By this logic, The Sims is an RPG.

Since when did Sims need experience points to level up?
---
PSN:shadowslime
Oh, Hell to the NAH!
#29atma6Posted 5/5/2013 5:35:32 AM
Also, trying to rigidly define the RPG genre does not work. At very best you can define a tiny subgenre, but the RPG genre is far too vast for you to make hard and fast rules. I don't feel like writing out an entire monologue on the subject, but for those of you interested why, here is a link to a hopefully thorough examination:

http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.ca/2012/12/what-is-rpg-i-dont-know-and-you.html
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#30Stunning SteveAustinPosted 5/5/2013 5:45:15 AM
Your damage, abilities, and overall success/survivability is still heavily influenced by a character progression system, so yes, it is an action-rpg.
---
"The algorithms I have been programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought." ~ KOS-MOS