This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there such a thing as too much action in video games?

#1canefaitrienPosted 5/5/2013 12:47:21 AM
I used to own a PS3, but then I sold it and began playing my games on the PC. But, seeing my brother's PS3, I decided to play around a bit.

Resident Evil 6, Uncharted, etc.... man, are these games action packed. So much so that it becomes rather comical, honestly.

In Uncharted, for instance, the amount of punishment Drake gets is just too much that it becomes both funny and annoying. For instance, after a gun fight, you proceed to cross a bridge, only to have it collapse. You hold on and it becomes clear that you have to jump and climb from one wood to the next. But these pieces fall or break or swing with every jump. By the time you get to the top, the entire thing falls apart. Then, you run around and another explosion blasts you away. As if this wasn't enough, an platoon comes rushing, screaming, "he's still alive!" (damn right he's still alive). These things happen way to often, honestly (for me, at least).

In RE6, well, explosions all around. You're never put in a state of calm. You know that there's another "explosive" scene that's going to happen when you enter that next area or door.

Since these things happen way to often, I no longer feel that rush of excitement that these games probably intended. Kind of like watching The Expendables.

And don't even get me started on Star Wars: Force Unleashed. Man, that game was... oh I don't know. Like I was a wolf and it kept throwing sheep at me to feed. Like, "here's more enemies for you to kill! Oh, and *boom*!!!"

I'm not saying these games are bad (I finished them, didn't I?), but please tell me I'm not the only one on this.

Man, I didn't think being 25 would make me feel this old when it comes to recent games.
---
Power thrust.... BANG!
#2lambchipsPosted 5/5/2013 12:50:25 AM
one of the reasons why video games this gen sucks... they are basically not even games anymore, they are like interactive movies
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#3doraemonllh1989Posted 5/5/2013 12:52:11 AM
i want games that i able to interact,not just pressing QTE buttons
---
I like good games
#4Devilman_AmonPosted 5/5/2013 12:58:14 AM
I think in Tomb Raider you kill over 400 enemies

In Uncharted, it's probably in the 3000's.

And in Uncharted 2, that train he was running on top of had to have had at least 100 cars lol

Nevermind the amount of crazy rock climbing skills he has to go through just to get to an area where the hordes of enemies (who's paying all these guys??) magically appear
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#5canefaitrien(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 1:07:00 AM
Oh, yeah. In Uncharted 2, I kept on thinking, "Who's this guy? He can take on an entire army of trained guys in bulletproof vests! And that's right after climbing ridiculous heights!"

In Force Unleashed 2, I kept on thinking, "Man, where was this guy in the movies? He could've won the war single-handed!
---
Power thrust.... BANG!
#6canefaitrien(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 1:10:59 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention about RE6.

In this game, you just KNOW that these dead things scattered all around will move. But, BUT... you are NOT allowed to shoot them until they do so.

I mean, seriously? Those half-a-second surprises stopped getting me since the first RE! Stop making me scream or shocked or surprised with these cheap gimmicks!
---
Power thrust.... BANG!
#7playboyskitchPosted 5/5/2013 1:13:56 AM
canefaitrien posted...

In this game, you just KNOW that these dead things scattered all around will move. But, BUT... you are NOT allowed to shoot them until they do so.

I mean, seriously? Those half-a-second surprises stopped getting me since the first RE! Stop making me scream or shocked or surprised with these cheap gimmicks!

DS3, everytime i saw a dead body, i shot at it to make sure they don't sneak up on me if i run past them, cuz them stalkers are so fast.
---
"But just when everyone had let their guard down, a vast number of AIDA tentacles have appeared and pierced Atoli's body...."
#8Devilman_AmonPosted 5/5/2013 1:17:28 AM
canefaitrien posted...

That just proves they have no idea about how to make a horror game anymore,

Its not about what you can see, its about what can see you.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#9MrSmadSmartAlexPosted 5/5/2013 1:18:49 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10MrSmadSmartAlexPosted 5/5/2013 1:21:58 AM
lambchips posted...
one of the reasons why video games this gen sucks... they are basically not even games anymore, they are like interactive movies

Even worse, they're like interactive Michael Bay movies.