This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there such a thing as too much action in video games?

#11DocDeliciousPosted 5/5/2013 2:59:12 AM
I feel there's too much shooting and pointless combat in a lot of games these days. The games you mentioned; Uncharted and RE6, are perfect examples.

Uncharted would be f****** fantastic if you took out all of the guns and 95% of the enemies. It'd be an incredibly short series though lol. All three games combined would take less time to complete than one of them as they are now.
RE6 would be great if the combat was removed altogether and the over-the-top action sequences were cut way back.
---
Terarria, Disgaea 4, Siren: Blood Curse, Battlefield 3, Rayman Origins, Vanquish, Need For Speed: MW 2012, Urban Trials, Monster Hunter FU
#12You_Need_A_LifePosted 5/5/2013 6:19:57 AM
lambchips posted...
one of the reasons why video games this gen sucks... they are basically not even games anymore, they are like interactive movies

QFT!
#13Master AlienPosted 5/5/2013 6:36:39 AM
Giv mor action.
Keep your holding hands, running through the meadows chasing butterflies with the power of love out of action games.

But seriously game are becoming more action packed because the tech you are playing on can handle more things going on on screen than in the past. I didn't play uncharted expecting it to be realistic and Id rather have over the top crazy that it is than the boring rock climbing simulater it would be without guns
#14Ace_DefectivePosted 5/5/2013 6:38:19 AM
Completely agreed, TC. Pretty much the reasons why I couldn't bring myself to play Uncharted games after beating them once. Except 3, which I didn't even bother finishing at all and I was already about two chapters away from beating the game too.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tAjKHgxrJQ <3
Forever hoping for a sequel. Please make it happen, tri-Ace.
#15Stunning SteveAustinPosted 5/5/2013 7:13:17 AM(edited)
RE6 literally begins with an explosion. It's amusingly pathetic, although not quite on the level of the car avasplolanche.

What I'm really tired of though is... ugh, 'setpieces'. Those horribly contrived scripted events that break the pacing of what might've been an otherwise good game by injecting more ACTION! They're like the collective echo of developers pleading "please, please like our game! look how triple-A it is!" ...what's that...you died from the screwy controls/camera and quicktime clustercrap? don't worry... we put a checkpoint at the beginning of the sequence so you can relive how flaccidly unEPIC it all is!"
---
"The algorithms I have been programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought." ~ KOS-MOS
#16PHEEliNUXPosted 5/5/2013 7:10:34 AM
QTE=/=Action
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#17Botnus912Posted 5/5/2013 7:25:13 AM(edited)
Yes. I remember playing the Black Ops campaign. I liked the story, but I felt like the action was always at 11. I think a good action game should dial it back a little every now and then to allow me to re-adjust myself, so that the big moments feel big again. Eventually it went from "wow, that was pretty cool" to "alright, I get it".
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8lw2lUtdM1rtrj0bo1_400.gif
I'm so fresh you can suck my nuts
#184sakuraHa0Posted 5/5/2013 8:01:44 AM
Yes, I think.
---
If someone post "I don't care", they actually care VERY much.
If they DON'T care, they WON'T bother posting.
#19SoaringDivePosted 5/5/2013 9:03:55 AM
lambchips posted...
one of the reasons why video games this gen sucks... they are basically not even games anymore, they are like interactive movies

I, too, love generic blanket statements.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#20JinKisaragi211Posted 5/5/2013 9:25:51 AM
I would say Bayonnetta and Metal Gear Rising are pretty much the upper echelon when it comes to action. No other action game this gen has given me the rush that those two games have.
---
They call me Hadouken. 'Cuz I'm Down, Right, Fierce!