This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Demon's Souls is objectively a bad game

#1Hunter1534Posted 5/5/2013 9:20:05 AM
Now that I have your attention. ..Just started playing Demon's Souls and it's pretty damn cool. Sure, I've died in some BS ways ( stairs ) and the lock on is pretty crappy,but now I see what people see in this. Even if I rage quit, I still enjoyed what I played.
---
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on hara kari rock. I NEED SCISSORS! 61!
#2RayconPosted 5/5/2013 9:29:41 AM
You can look up and see what's waiting at the top of the stairs. I'm not one to jump to DS's defense, but that one I avoided just by being vigilant. My roommate on the other hand...

*canned laughter*

Have you read up on the World/Character Tendency system? I would do that so you don't inadvertently push a world too far one direction you don't want. It's much easier to go white then black than the other way around.
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#3Hunter1534(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 9:31:21 AM
Actually, no i haven't. May have to do that. Is it a huge deal?
---
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on hara kari rock. I NEED SCISSORS! 61!
#4RayconPosted 5/5/2013 9:40:53 AM(edited)
Hunter1534 posted...
Actually, no i haven't. May have to do that. Is it a huge deal?

The short answer is, if you don't want to go to Black World tendency, don't die in body form; stay in Soul form (you'll get a ring that makes this not so terrible). Black World Tendency makes enemies tougher, but they give more souls.

White World Tendency you get by killing demons; there aren't many, so getting to White Tendency is much harder if you go to black first (instead of starting at Neutral).

In addition, there are certain events that can only be done in certain world tendencies. A gate will unlock on Pure White/Black tendency, an item will only be available on White, and certain NPC's will show up for White Tendency, while Black Phantom's appear in Pure Black World Tendency.

If I'm not mistaken, Character Tendency deals with killing Black Phantoms or NPCs. If you want White Character Tendency, you'll have to get Black World Tendency in every world and kill the Black Phantom's there. Getting Black Character Tendency is easier; just murder every NPC you see.

There's a page in the start menu that tracks the tendency (has a man carving in the center surrounded by blocks). They start out all gray, but get brighter as you get closer to white, and vice versa.

As long as you stay in soul form, you can get quite a ways without having to worry about it, but at some point you might want to look up the Pure White/Black Tendency events so you know what to look for and how to get them.

Huh. In hindsight, that wasn't really a short answer at all. *shrugs*
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#5Caer_DeathPosted 5/5/2013 9:44:07 AM
It's a convoluted system that'll lock you out of certain things if you don't know about it ahead of time. Some of the most useful items are acquired via World Tendancies. And if playing offline, dying repeatedly in human form in a given world can raise the difficulty of that world and can be very hard to reverse. I'm glad they did away with this system for Dark Souls.
---
The circle of life was founded by the god of America. Love it or leave it!