This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about resistance...

#1MACH0Posted 5/5/2013 4:27:41 PM
Thinking of getting into this series. just had a few questions...

1. Should I just buy Resistance 3? Or all of them?

2. Are the worlds/levels big to explore? (similar to Bioshock and half life 2?)

3. Lots of hidden items to find?

4. Are these games good?

Thanks.
#2TiaelPosted 5/5/2013 4:32:29 PM(edited)
There's the Resistance Collection you can get, I'd suggest grabbing that and playing all 3.
Not quite as big I don't think, but you can find audio logs, journals and the like around.

I personally enjoyed the Trilogy, though 2 was disappointing after the first, mainly in the weapon system and lack of a weapon wheel, and 3 is my favorite, which brings back the weapon wheel.
Plus I loved the R&C inspired "quirky" weapons, at least some of them.
---
Playing: Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f, Soul Hackers
Dragon Quest>Ys=SMT=Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five.
#3KenauePosted 5/5/2013 4:48:58 PM
Tiael posted...
There's the Resistance Collection you can get, I'd suggest grabbing that and playing all 3.
Not quite as big I don't think, but you can find audio logs, journals and the like around.

I personally enjoyed the Trilogy, though 2 was disappointing after the first, mainly in the weapon system and lack of a weapon wheel, and 3 is my favorite, which brings back the weapon wheel.
Plus I loved the R&C inspired "quirky" weapons, at least some of them.

Pretty much my thoughts. And if you have a PSP Resistance Retribution is well worth picking up too Avoid Burning Skies like the plague though.
---
Most Excited For: SMT IV (3DS), ToX (CE, PS3), Pikmin 3 (Wii U), Fuse (PS3), Pokemon Y (3DS), Dragon's Crown (Vita).
PSN: Lord_CBH / Nintendo Network: LordCBH
#4TiaelPosted 5/5/2013 4:49:59 PM
Burning Skies is that bad eh?
I was thinking of grabbing it when I pick up a Vita later this year for Ys Memories of Celceta, Uncharted and P4G, but guess I'll pass.
---
Playing: Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f, Soul Hackers
Dragon Quest>Ys=SMT=Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five.
#5lostkiwiPosted 5/5/2013 5:08:21 PM(edited)
MACH0 posted...
Thinking of getting into this series. just had a few questions...

1. Should I just buy Resistance 3? Or all of them?

All of them, in my opinion, it's a great series. It's also interesting seeing the transition - #1 is when the Chimera invade and Earth is taking a stand against them, #2 is where the humans are losing the war, and #3 is where the humans have all but lost and are down to a few bands of resistance groups.

MACH0 posted...
2. Are the worlds/levels big to explore? (similar to Bioshock and half life 2?)

Not really. It's pretty linear. Some of the areas are quite open, but for the most part you're going from one are to the next as part of the storyline progression

MACH0 posted...
3. Lots of hidden items to find?

Again, not really. There are the obligatory trophy collectables (intel), but that's about it.

MACH0 posted...
4. Are these games good?

They are very good, in my opinion. They have some great set pieces, and in my opinion they have the greatest weapons of any first person shooter you'll ever play. All the weapons are quite different, but all have their place. Insomniac games seem to have a thing for creating great weaponry because their other flagship franchise (Ratchet and Clank) is also well known for their unique weapons.

The game itself is fast paced. It's not really cover based, and the action feels fluid. It certainly has a less weighted feel compared to something like Killzone.

Most people seen to think Resistance 2 is the worst of the trilogy, but for me it was my favourite. It had some great set pieces and great boss battles. But it all comes down to opinion I guess.
---
Check out my investigation into 7th generation exclusives here:
http://rustygamer.wordpress.com/
#6crazyman32Posted 5/5/2013 5:15:05 PM
I would get the Trilogy and Resistance 3 is the best of the 3.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.
#7Elements012894Posted 5/5/2013 8:25:58 PM
Resistance 3 is easily the best in the series. 1 is good too but its graphics have aged quite a bit, might be a bit of a turn off.

Burning skies is the only one thats not worth it at all. Unless it costs about $10 and you know to expect a poor game.
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.