This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kickstarters are both the best and worst thing to ever happen

#1JahkeemyorkPosted 5/6/2013 3:52:55 PM
They're the best because it's allowed more freedom in game developing, we have a successor game to Banjo Kazooie made by ex-Rare staff, a new game based off Ecco the Dolphin, Alice "Otherworlds" from Alice Returns from Madness devs and much more.

I really like it because it does allow devs to ignore publishers wants and be able to create a game with funds that have no strings attached. Though other times there have been some money grubbing schemes coming up on Kickstarters too like the millionaire who used his daughter to start a kickstarted to pay for her RPG camp club.

Overall do you think Kickstarters could be one of hte better things to have happened to allow Developers to fully explore games they want to make without publishers throwing in a second say because of it being 'their' money?
#2fru1fanPosted 5/6/2013 3:57:06 PM
my friend says they are a way to beg for money and not come of as some poor desperate looser I however think they are great
---
Live above hell
#3zyrax2301Posted 5/6/2013 3:59:27 PM(edited)
This is when you give money to a studio/developer so they can start working on a new game, right?

I'm pretty sure investing has been around for a long time. It's kind of sad that the only dividend gamers are getting is a "free" (i.e. purchased) copy of the game, rather than a share in profits.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#4kupo1705Posted 5/6/2013 4:02:43 PM
zyrax2301 posted...
This is when you give money to a studio/developer so they can start working on a new game, right?

I'm pretty sure investing has been around for a long time. It's kind of sad that the only dividend gamers are getting is a "free" (i.e. purchased) copy of the game, rather than a share in profits.

Kickstarter isn't about investing. You're giving developers money to make the game they want to make.
#5zyrax2301Posted 5/6/2013 4:08:06 PM(edited)
It's not "about" investing but it's an investment nonetheless. You are entitled to a copy of the game when it's completed, which is the dividend on your investment.
---
#6kupo1705Posted 5/6/2013 4:07:53 PM
Yes, and what you gain is a game.
#7zyrax2301Posted 5/6/2013 4:09:39 PM
Yeah. So we've covered everything I said in my first post...thanks for playing, kupo?
---
#8kupo1705Posted 5/6/2013 4:13:23 PM
When I say game I'm not talking about a copy, I'm talking about the game being made.
Giving a free copy is completely optional. So again, investing is not what Kickstarter is about.
#9jammiesPosted 5/6/2013 4:18:02 PM
I use Kickstarter to purchase commodities. I expect no profit, so it isn't an investment.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#10zyrax2301Posted 5/6/2013 4:24:08 PM
I'd say it's more of a layby than a purchase, if you refuse to see it as an investment.

And even then you aren't guaranteed anything to honour your payment. If the game never gets made, you get nothing.

But all this semantics aside, I do think it's a good idea in most cases.
---