This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kickstarters are both the best and worst thing to ever happen

#11AnonUnknownPosted 5/6/2013 4:32:03 PM(edited)
Jahkeemyork posted...
a new game based off Ecco the Dolphin

lol, that "spiritual successor" called Big Blue? it was so "successful" they had to stop the campaign, and make a second one for a smaller, cheaper (also, will be released for free) game called LITTLE Blue. out of the total, how many Kickstarted games have been actually made and released?
#12Mr_Big_BossPosted 5/6/2013 4:38:33 PM
This "spiritual successor" thing is just the new thing to take your money.
---
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#13kupo1705Posted 5/6/2013 4:42:06 PM
zyrax2301 posted...
I'd say it's more of a layby than a purchase, if you refuse to see it as an investment.

And even then you aren't guaranteed anything to honour your payment. If the game never gets made, you get nothing.

But all this semantics aside, I do think it's a good idea in most cases.

Yeah, it's risk.
That's why I wouldn't back some no-name developer with no history that can easily run off with your money.
If it's someone like Double Fine or Obsidian they are pretty much guaranteed to deliver something, unless they want to ruin their name.
#14LemonKweenstaaaPosted 5/6/2013 4:45:35 PM
Most of the kickstarter video game projects I've seen are just exploitative "retro" games (using retro as an excuse for lazy game design and outdated mechanics). There do exist gems here and there, but they're unfortunately harder to find in all of the padding.
---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
31,795 > 66,980 -Sailor Goon
#15Golden MavenPosted 5/6/2013 4:47:40 PM
Are you guys saying you don't get reimbursed if the project doesn't go forward?
#16zyrax2301Posted 5/6/2013 5:09:47 PM
^ That's my understanding. Assuming that the project is started and they run out of money before they finish it.

If the project was cancelled outright before it began, I would assume that people would be reimbursed but I have no idea if that's how they do things.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#17KodegaPosted 5/6/2013 5:40:18 PM
Jahkeemyork posted...
a new game based off Ecco the Dolphin

lol, that "spiritual successor" called Big Blue? it was so "successful" they had to stop the campaign, and make a second one for a smaller, cheaper (also, will be released for free) game called LITTLE Blue. out of the total, how many Kickstarted games have been actually made and released?

I own three, though two are board games. (Zombicide, Sedition Wars, and Faster Than Light).
---
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
#18true_gamer80Posted 5/6/2013 6:09:02 PM
nothing like giving money to those that already have money......kickstarter can be a great thing but so so so many ppl take advantage of it
---
Kool Kieth for president!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeknB3ceRNA
#19GeminiX7Posted 5/6/2013 6:16:30 PM
LemonKweenstaaa posted...
Most of the kickstarter video game projects I've seen are just exploitative "retro" games (using retro as an excuse for lazy game design and outdated mechanics). There do exist gems here and there, but they're unfortunately harder to find in all of the padding.

Ding ding ding.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."