This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What doesn't SE do an Ogre Battle on PS/XBOX?

#1SemibatmanPosted 5/7/2013 2:12:37 AM(edited)
The developers of Ogre Battle, Quest, were merged with Square in 2002. Tactics Ogre turned into Final Fantasy Tactics (obvious resemblance), but Ogre battle is now only a port to the Wii.

For a long time Fire Emblem has claimed the Tactical RPG fanbase to Nintendo owners however there is that same untapped fanbase in PS and Xbox owners. XCOM and Valkyria Chronicles have proven it. Why doesn't Square Enix pull the trigger? Lack of resources? Not sure of high profit? What do you guys think?
#2AltmadragonPosted 5/7/2013 2:29:43 AM
Because every day that passes they become more an more like activision, ea or gamefreak, they try (claim) to give the people what they want but refuse to heed their words.... Sad times tis it's
---
Ha! Made you read.
#3GREEN00Posted 5/7/2013 5:55:24 AM
Valkyria's performance was underwhelming, XCOM on consoles basically flopped.

IF Square-Enix was to invest in a new retail console SRPG, and that is a gigantic IF, it would almost certainly have no attachment to Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre. The Ogre Battle series has minimal name recognition, Matsuno is long gone from SE, and SE has barely touched the retail HD console market (Eidos does not count).

Sorry to cruelly shoot you down TC, but this like asking,

"Why does developer A not do something the polar opposite of what they've done the past several years?"

Square has failed miserably to get a handle of HD development, and their efforts there and elsewhere this past 7 years have been pathetic.
#4LAGswitchLARRYPosted 5/7/2013 5:56:47 AM
Gamers today couldn't handle Ogre Battle.

Too deep
---
I always win online. DEWD RAIDER: aka UNCHARTED: A Tomb Raider wannabe corridor simulator for casuals who can't play platform or explore on their own.
#5screwmtvPosted 5/7/2013 5:59:40 AM
I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time ever and, yeah, I don't know if it would be very popular if it were released these days. That said, I think it's a phenomenal game.
---
Nothing ever burns down by itself. Every fire needs a little bit of help.
#6Semibatman(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 12:45:50 PM
GREEN00 posted...
Valkyria's performance was underwhelming, XCOM on consoles basically flopped.

IF Square-Enix was to invest in a new retail console SRPG, and that is a gigantic IF, it would almost certainly have no attachment to Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre. The Ogre Battle series has minimal name recognition, Matsuno is long gone from SE, and SE has barely touched the retail HD console market (Eidos does not count).

Sorry to cruelly shoot you down TC, but this like asking,

"Why does developer A not do something the polar opposite of what they've done the past several years?"

Square has failed miserably to get a handle of HD development, and their efforts there and elsewhere this past 7 years have been pathetic.

You're right in that those games underwhelmed in sales (which is all that matters to a company) even though they did pretty well on ratings. That can probably scare a developer off.

You pointed out that SE has failed to do much HD development on consoles. Their Ogre Battle ports to Wii probably are the most we'll ever get from anything other than handheld or SE other investment, mobile gaming. Through a little searching I found that they did do a little Tactical RPG on iPhone called Sliding Heroes. it's average. Maybe that's all we get from that lol.

I didn't really care about being shot down. I just wanted to know why Ogre Battle just disappeared. I guess i got my answer. It looks like SE bit off more than they can chew a while ago, and they can't really explore Tactical RPG with what they're running with unless it's with 3DS or mobile gaming.

OOOO welll..... Thanks for the answers.
#7toadiemanPosted 5/7/2013 12:55:30 PM
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together is a great update. Sorry you missed it.
#8FellDudePosted 5/7/2013 12:59:37 PM
Because they are still trying to shove ff13 & ff14 down this gens throat.

I wish they would focus on some of the old Enix IP's for awhile.
---
Of all the game consoles ever made, the Xbox 360 is the one closest to perfecting the hundred percent failure rate. - Former Owner of 3 of Microsoft Xbox 360's.
#9pokemon_45_79_1Posted 5/7/2013 1:00:54 PM
Guess what it would make Sense and common sense is few and far between with SE, common sense and SE never going to happen.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#10RetroFanGirlPosted 5/7/2013 3:14:59 PM
toadieman posted...
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together is a great update. Sorry you missed it.

Because the answer to wanting a new game is buying a remake.
---
If your opinion differs from mine you're a troll.