This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about Sony's repair process.

#1blankxmyxblankPosted 5/7/2013 2:33:33 PM
So, I have to mail in my ps3 to get it fixed due to a chip going bad. It's a launch model, because I've had to give my old systems to my siblings as I got upgrades, and I'm all about my backwards compatibility.

The problem is, I upgraded the hard drive [600gb] and didn't have the capacity to back it up before it died. My main issue is that my entire collection of saves, from when I got my first playstation until it died, is still on the hard drive. I've figured there are two avenues to try and remedy this.

I still have my old hard drive; is it safe to assume that I'm going to be getting the exact same unit back? If so, if I send it in with the old hard drive, will I be able to swap it with the larger one & resume my life as normal?

Or, is there any method available such that I can connect it to a computer &.back it up that way? I have an external 3.0 tb hard drive now, which has enough space to create a full backup. I just don't know if the software exists for this process. It's been about a year now, and I was hoping my lack of updates would make it easier.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
---
PSN: JohnnyCupcakes
One who knows nothing can understand, nothing.
#2EoinPosted 5/7/2013 2:52:24 PM
blankxmyxblank posted...
I still have my old hard drive; is it safe to assume that I'm going to be getting the exact same unit back?

I've seen people post that they did, and that they didn't. That means it's not safe to assume that.

blankxmyxblank posted...
If so, if I send it in with the old hard drive, will I be able to swap it with the larger one & resume my life as normal?

If you get back the same PS3, then yes, this will work. If not, then you'll be out of luck.

blankxmyxblank posted...
Or, is there any method available such that I can connect it to a computer &.back it up that way? I have an external 3.0 tb hard drive now, which has enough space to create a full backup. I just don't know if the software exists for this process. It's been about a year now, and I was hoping my lack of updates would make it easier.

PS3 hard drives are encrypted to the individual PS3 that formats them (or that they came with). There's no software on PC that can read them.

Your best option is to try to get your PS3 repaired locally. "A chip going bad" might make that difficult, although if what that means is GPU overheating, that's a common repair job for any place that does PS3 repairs. Your best bet is to get it repaired, get a new PS3, and immediately transfer data.
#3blankxmyxblank(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 3:05:44 PM
I did take it to a local business, they're the ones that told me that it was the chip. I replaced the thermal paste myself, i don't know how to verify what they told me.

They also said that Sony would repair it at no cost [which isn't correct] so I suppose getting it checked out at another place wouldn't be a bad idea.
---
PSN: JohnnyCupcakes
One who knows nothing can understand, nothing.
#4Odin_theRoninPosted 5/7/2013 3:26:18 PM
I have a similar issue. I upgraded my memory and I want to keep the contents so that mostly likely means I have to repair it myself. And I've sent it to Sony before and none of the times have they sent me the same one back, just another of the same model. Still deciding since I have 500 GB of memory...