This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are video games starting to become too expensive to develop?

#11PhaseSlaethePosted 5/8/2013 12:43:35 PM
psprulz2007 posted...
No. Simply because of the huge base od indie games rolling in. Its showing you don't need a hug budget to create a good game. Don't get me wrong Im not a "fan" of indie games but Im not blind and accept that there really are some quality indie games that deserve praise. As long as indie devs can make games of quality then no it wont become to expensive to develop.

The cost to make games now and days like AAA titles are just insane. Eventually its all going to crash and burn.

You mean to say yes.

Indie games are such a small percentage that their existence doesn't null the fact that mainstream gaming is losing its damn mind.
#12Merc123Posted 5/8/2013 12:51:02 PM
Yes and i think its the worst thing about this gen.

You have companies that make a game, spend all this money on it, expect everyone to buy it and for it to sell 5 million in its first month to break even. That doesnt happen and they are dumfounded on why. Then if its a new IP it usually dies, if its an established series it may get rebooted, put on hold, or killed off. Like said, developers and publishers are expecting COD numbers to just magically happen.

Its really a shame because unless your new IP really takes off or has a low budget its pretty much doomed.

Luckily some Indie games like Minecraft have been able to break this trend and post amazing numbers.
#13psprulz2007Posted 5/8/2013 12:51:19 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
psprulz2007 posted...
No. Simply because of the huge base od indie games rolling in. Its showing you don't need a hug budget to create a good game. Don't get me wrong Im not a "fan" of indie games but Im not blind and accept that there really are some quality indie games that deserve praise. As long as indie devs can make games of quality then no it wont become to expensive to develop.

The cost to make games now and days like AAA titles are just insane. Eventually its all going to crash and burn.

You mean to say yes.

Indie games are such a small percentage that their existence doesn't null the fact that mainstream gaming is losing its damn mind.

No I mean no. If a AAA game costs a crap ton. Then a indie costs very little. It averages out to be in the middle. Therefore games overall on average are not becoming to expensive to make. As long as indie devs have the option and ability to create low budget quality games. Once an indie de is longer capable of having the freedom to create a low budget game then Ill say YES.
---
PSN(ps3+Vita)+GT= FeelinKorny
#14PhaseSlaethePosted 5/8/2013 12:52:37 PM
psprulz2007 posted...
PhaseSlaethe posted...
psprulz2007 posted...

You mean to say yes.

No I mean no. If a AAA game costs a crap ton. Then a indie costs very little. It averages out to be in the middle. Therefore games overall on average are not becoming to expensive to make. As long as indie devs have the option and ability to create low budget quality games. Once an indie de is longer capable of having the freedom to create a low budget game then Ill say YES.

Again, indie games are SUCH a small percentage that they don't alter the average as much as you think. If at all.

Most people don't even view indie games as part of the mainstream gaming industry.
#15ShineboxerPosted 5/8/2013 12:52:48 PM
Don't worry, only console gaming will die from this.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#16HabefietPosted 5/8/2013 12:57:17 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
stuff and things

Right re: proportions of indie v. non-indie, but see, companies that aren't stupid are doing fine.

Ex. From Software (Dark Souls), some of Nintendo's in-house devs like Intelligent Systems, Bethesda I think, etc. etc. The companies that know their audience and design games that some group of people sincerely wants to play, and budget their games accordingly, end up having great productions that sell well and don't bankrupt them in the process.

It's the companies like Squeenix, who blow tens of millions on games with limited appeal and spend the money making the game shinier instead of making the game better, who are in trouble.
#17Video_Game_CzarPosted 5/8/2013 12:59:37 PM
No, People are just greedy. Look at games like The Witcher 2 and Aram 2...Both cost about 15-20 million to make - Two insanely detailed games with great gameplay...Then you look at something like Dead Space 3 cost somewhere around 70+ million.

Greed...Simple as that...Pure greed.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar
#18psprulz2007Posted 5/8/2013 12:59:37 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
psprulz2007 posted...
PhaseSlaethe posted...
psprulz2007 posted...

You mean to say yes.

Again, indie games are SUCH a small percentage that they don't alter the average as much as you think. If at all.

Most people don't even view indie games as part of the mainstream gaming industry.

Doesn't matter if you view it as part of "mainstream" gaming or not. They are still videogames that are released on videogame systems. The percentage may be "small" but the last couple years its been growing. Add kickstarter to the mix and a dev doesn't even need to pay anything to create a game.

Ill agree that SE and EA and other big AAA devs are spending a CRAP ton of cash. Insane amounts. But overall no games are not to expensive to develop.
---
PSN(ps3+Vita)+GT= FeelinKorny
#19glory of power metalPosted 5/8/2013 3:16:54 PM
Yeah, we're definitely at a breaking point. That's my prediction at least. AAA games can now cost more than 50 million dollars to develop, and meanwhile, people ***** constantly that $60 is too much to pay for a game.

This generation we saw a considerable number of studios close, less IPs and more sequels than previous gens, insane pressure on consumers to pre-order and buy new, and extremely quick price drops on new titles. It's abundantly clear that companies are missing the mark on expected profits at every turn and they are getting desperate.

At the same time, with new distribution mediums like Steam, PSN, and XBLA quaint games developed by small teams for practically nothing are gaining popularity and selling great. Kickstarter and Steam's green light program are also making it pretty damn appealing to work on your own to make your own game rather than go through the motions to get a development job at a studio that'll inevitably downsize you or close it's doors in 6 months.

I won't even get into the casual mobile gaming business.

There's no chance AAA titles or big studios will disappear, but I'd bet any amount of money that next gen will literally be a hodgepodge (word of the day) of AAA games, social games, casual titles, and indie games all in equal quantity.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | 650W | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#20NCPwnPosted 5/8/2013 3:22:45 PM
I remember reading a few years back how the Game industry is leagues ahead of the Movie Industry. With Piracy being a bigger problem for movies.

That said, I think consoles will be ok, because developers want to be protected from piracy as much as possible. Reasons Steam and consoles are huge.

Just my 2 cents.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst