This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is really that hard to make a mature JRPG?

#1AerosoldierPosted 5/9/2013 2:41:53 AM
Why does every single new jrpg have lolis and childish themes? why they can't make games like Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga? you know that a huge jrpg population is 25+ years old???
---
Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!
#2ScreamingMidgetPosted 5/9/2013 2:43:26 AM(edited)
Because the big companies either stopped developing, don't localize, develop for handhelds or take 10 years to develop a single game.

Solution: Play D Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Xenoblade, Valkyria Chronicles
#3DragoonGriffithPosted 5/9/2013 2:42:56 AM
->Get a 3DS
->Buy SMT4

=Problem solved
---
DQ: VII > V > VI > VIII = IX > III > IV > I > II
#4GodzFollowerPosted 5/9/2013 2:43:47 AM
I always figured it was a culture thing
---
Gfaqs is the home of the echo posters
#5StarBladeEdgePosted 5/9/2013 2:44:24 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6TakFujiWara88Posted 5/9/2013 3:00:58 AM(edited)
I think the will to develop the games isn't there or developers are afraid that it probably wouldn't sell well. Then again. With a few changes in character design and other tweaks here and there FFXII could have been a very good candidate. It wouldn't have been mature in the sense that it was dark, gritty and only suitable for adults, but it avoided many of the more juvenile aspects of JRPGs and its plot wasn't mind numbingly convoluted/stupid.

I wish developers would stop making loli rpgs though. They're unnecessary and a bit sickening to say the least....

---
PSN:sh1nig4milight
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/noizzle88/20121015_173615.jpg
#7ckhh12Posted 5/9/2013 2:59:45 AM
Aerosoldier posted...
Why does every single new jrpg have lolis and childish themes? why they can't make games like Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga? you know that a huge jrpg population is 25+ years old???

jrpg dev like atlus move to handheld

more niche jrpg dev like nis gust Compile Heart still make lot of jrpg for Hd console
#8matt091282Posted 5/9/2013 3:00:42 AM
Wait until Versus. That will change everything. (Hopefully)
#9KabtheMentatPosted 5/9/2013 3:05:54 AM(edited)
I always figured it was a culture thing

It mostly is. Japanese culture is obsessed with "cute" things. This is kinda why there's a lot of weird/lost in translation things coming out of there, besides just horrible translations.

What Japanese developers don't realize is that this isn't fun for a lot American and European audiences. In the past it was fine because of the age of the average gamer was like 14 years old. Now it's approaching 30. I'm just about 30 and I find it hard to relate to characters that are in their teens whining about some melodramatic bullcrap that's typical in most JRPGs. If you're still into the whole "the power of friendship can overcome anything!" nonsense that makes up a lot of JRPGs, you might as well be watching Dora the Explorer.

It's no accident that things like Mass Effect, Fallout, Dragon Age, or even Game of Thrones are super popular here (America) and Europe. As weird as it sounds, those things are more "human" vs. some story about a 16 year old spikey haired hero with an impossibly large weapon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on JRPGs. I used to be a diehard JRPG gamer. But in the last 10 years, I've changed and JRPGs mostly haven't. I still enjoy some series though, like Suikoden and Shin Megami Tensei.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Hey whassup, it's ya boy Cowboy, AKA Too Young...to be havin' diabetes.
#10El_GigantoPosted 5/9/2013 3:04:00 AM
It's not exactly profitable to make games like that.
---
FC Utrecht