This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is really that hard to make a mature JRPG?

#251Godly_GoofPosted 5/9/2013 2:25:30 PM
Sagovic posted...
Mature: Silent Hill series-- Immature: Atelier

Mature: Kafka's books - Immature: Manga

Mature: Lost Highway - Immature: Anime films.

I mean, I think it's kind of obvious to see what's mature and what isn't. There's a big difference between something like Naruto, Death Note or HDN and Homicide: Life on the street, Heavy Rain and Law&Order.

HDN MK2 cursed sword ending arc, you kill kids. BRUTALLY. And they draw it out to just make you feel like s*** no less. That alone invalidates your entire argument before I even bring up stuff like Higurashi or Wild Animals (anyone not familiar with either of these series should look into them). And then Grave of the Fireflys and what little shred of argument you have left is gone.

Now take off your polarized glasses an pull your head out of your a** before you talk.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#252SoaringDivePosted 5/9/2013 2:31:33 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
HDN MK2 cursed sword ending arc, you kill kids. BRUTALLY.

I think you proved his point.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#253Godly_GoofPosted 5/9/2013 2:35:36 PM
SoaringDive posted...
Godly_Goof posted...

How so?
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#254agrissaPosted 5/9/2013 2:38:44 PM
Is TC looking just for darkness and blood and gore, or ACTUAL mature subject matter and storytelling aimed at adults? There is a huge difference.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#255SagovicPosted 5/9/2013 2:39:20 PM
SoaringDive posted...
Godly_Goof posted...

Indeed, he did.

Spoilers, I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI5-fbgzjPA

Cringe worthy, and yes incredibly mature(obvious sarcasm).
---
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
#256notSFFPosted 5/9/2013 2:40:45 PM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Jebril posted...
I know weebos are a little in denial about this but Americans have gotten a lot better at making games.

Explain yourself, I think American games are growing dumber dumber, much like their target audience. I am in DIRE need of a genuinely good American game that wasn't made in the freaking 90s/early 2Ks or is an indie game.

~ Morrowind is still better than Skyrim.
~ The new Fallout games? No...just no...
~ Bioware is mass-producing dumbed down KotOR rip-offs.
~ Shooters reached a high with Deus Ex and System Shock 2 and have since been plummeting uncontrollably. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Bioshock 2.

Why am I even trying... like more than half of America's gaming companies declared bankruptcy or were bought out this gen. Who should I put my hopes on? EA? Hey, at least Rockstar is still around and that's because T2 escaped that nearly hostile takeover by EA scenario.

In order.

-Yeah, no. If you want to play a game with hideously broken combat mechanics, BS graphics and is just flatout BORING, then by all means, prefer Morrowind.
-New Vegas >>>> Fallout 3
-The only one I kinda agree with.
-Haven't really played a modern shooter aside from Far Cry 3, so no comment.
---
SteamID: tsff20
Xbox Gamer Tag: TSFF19
#257Emerald_MeliosPosted 5/9/2013 2:41:21 PM
I'm rather curious: why are "mature" games needed exactly?
#258KabtheMentatPosted 5/9/2013 2:43:41 PM
I'm rather curious: why are "mature" games needed exactly?

Because the gaming populace is older than it was 5-10-15 years ago. What appealed to you when you were 10 isn't the same to what appeals to you when you're 30.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Hey whassup, it's ya boy Cowboy, AKA Too Young...to be havin' diabetes.
#259daveydsurveysPosted 5/9/2013 2:45:43 PM
It depends on how you define mature. I think it is possible for a RPG to be "mature" even if most of the characters are teenagers. Take Growlanser for example. The majority of the characters are supposed to be in their teens, but I'd argue it's a mature JRPG series because it deals with serious themes (namely war and how devastating it can be).

The main character of Ni no Kuni is a little kid, and the graphics are intentionally cartoony, but it is arguably a mature game because it deals with a serious topic (you're trying to save your mother's life).
#260Godly_GoofPosted 5/9/2013 2:55:24 PM(edited)
Sagovic posted...
SoaringDive posted...
Godly_Goof posted...

Indeed, he did.

Spoilers, I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI5-fbgzjPA

Cringe worthy, and yes incredibly mature(obvious sarcasm).

LOL Way to not even find 99% of the content I was talking about. Someone get this guy a MacArthur grant because that's genius!

Edit: *Spoilers*
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WHcPBQG58WA&feature=relmfu
Starting at 11:03
And that's not counting the whole Vert getting beaten to death thing...
---