This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why WRPG fanboys like to exclude Demon's/Dark Souls when they make fun of JRPG?

#21PhaseSlaethePosted 5/9/2013 12:18:11 PM
Because they are ACTUALLY ARPGs.
#22kcypher2000Posted 5/9/2013 12:24:58 PM
How is dragons dogma and dark souls even considered rpgs?
#23PhaseSlaethePosted 5/9/2013 12:25:23 PM
kcypher2000 posted...

How "aren't" they?
#24Devilman_AmonPosted 5/9/2013 12:28:23 PM
BioShock111583 posted...
JRPG doesn't stand for Japanese RPG, it stands for Japanese-style RPG. The Souls games are WRPGs... Western-style RPGs. Where they're developed means absolutely nothing.

---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#25-Damien-(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 4:49:55 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
BioShock111583 posted...
JRPG doesn't stand for Japanese RPG, it stands for Japanese-style RPG. The Souls games are WRPGs... Western-style RPGs. Where they're developed means absolutely nothing.

JRPG = Japanese RPG as is made in Japan
#26ScreamingMidgetPosted 5/9/2013 4:59:38 PM(edited)
BioShock111583 posted...

- Good gameplay
- Good artstyle
- Amazing boss fights
- Difficulty
- Good music
- Nice lore

That's pretty damn Japanese.

Because they are ACTUALLY ARPGs.

Just like the Tales series and people still call those "JRPG"s...huh. Hint: "W/JRPG" are not genres.
#27zerooo0Posted 5/9/2013 4:59:26 PM
I thought the JRPG fanbase doesn't want to take credit for Demon/Dark Souls & Dragons Dogma?

I mean, hey if they don't want to take credit the WRPG fanbase will welcome them with open arms.

Also they're one of the few JRPGs out there without that annoying loli art style. Gosh I despise that art style. Dark Souls & Dragon Dogma actually have a good art style.

Also I find it funny how TC is trolling the WRPG fanbase when the JRPG fanbase wont even accept the fact that they're JRPGs.
---
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.-General George S. Patton
#28kcypher2000Posted 5/9/2013 5:12:23 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
kcypher2000 posted...

How "aren't" they?

Then Call of Duty must be an RPG too because it also has no story, classes and inventory. Every freaking game is considered an rpg even if the only "roleplaying" is kill whatever is in front of you.
#29Dicer7Posted 5/9/2013 5:26:49 PM(edited)
The way I see it, JRPG is basically a synonym for console-style RPG (usually turn-based, heavy reliance on a party system, story-driven) while WRPGs are generally driven by realtime action combat and favor heavy customization. Because the Souls games and Dragon's Dogma fit into the latter description better than the former they tend to avoid being lumped with JRPGs. Just my take on it.
#30HabefietPosted 5/9/2013 5:28:58 PM
kcypher2000 posted...
PhaseSlaethe posted...
kcypher2000 posted...

How "aren't" they?

Then Call of Duty must be an RPG too because it also has no story, classes and inventory. Every freaking game is considered an rpg even if the only "roleplaying" is kill whatever is in front of you.

Uh Dark Souls definitely has different classes and an inventory system

Won't speak for the story, haven't played it, but I'm familiar enough with it to know that